HNMR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nickelbackfan

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does nitrogen allow for splitting of hydrogens or is it like oxygen in an -OH in that "blocks" the H making in into a singlet?

Thanks
 
Does nitrogen allow for splitting of hydrogens or is it like oxygen in an -OH in that "blocks" the H making in into a singlet?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure it doesn't split (just like -OH).
Usually on IRs you see 1H (exchange) which basically signifies a OH (Hbond switches, I think). This also applies for NH -- when you see 1H (exchange) it can either be OH or NH depending on whether you have O or N in your molecular formula.
 
I'm pretty sure it doesn't split (just like -OH).
Usually on IRs you see 1H (exchange) which basically signifies a OH (Hbond switches, I think). This also applies for NH -- when you see 1H (exchange) it can either be OH or NH depending on whether you have O or N in your molecular formula.

Correct.