Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Hobbies??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Wildhorse, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Wildhorse

Pre-Medical
    How is one supposed to enter a contact for hobbies?? Hobbies don't typically require answering to anybody. Am I meant to be my own contact for hobbies?? Is it supposed to be a friend I hang out with while hobbying?? I feel like both of these are rather silly choices, but so is making a contact a required field for a hobby.

Edit:
    Come to think of it, one item I wanted to include as a hobby could be more aptly described as community service/volunteering, despite being done independently of any institution, & usually independently of any other people at all.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. WedgeDawg

Moderator 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just enter yourself. The chances of them caring enough to contact your hobby "contact" is essentially 0. That's not to say that they don't care about what you do with your time (which is why there is a space on the app), just that they won't really have any reason to follow up about it pre-interview.

LizzyM likes this.
  4. Stagg737

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you have a supervisor or mentor that's helped you out a lot, then put them. Otherwise just do whatever, if it's a hobby they're probably not going to care much anyway.

5. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

A Hobbies entry no longer requires a Contact.

avgn, Pacna and ChrisMack390 like this.
  6. CaliforniaDreamer

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    When did this happen? I feel like one day in June I was working on my primary app and I remembered putting "Myself" as a contact, and then the next day when I logged in, the entire field was gone.

7. Wildhorse

Pre-Medical
    That's very interesting. After reading that comment myself, I logged back in & found the field wasn't there. I was beginning to suspect I was a careless, ill-observant, scatter-brained buffoon that had no place in medicine, but you have reassured me.

Edit:
    That may be very possible even still.

8. CaliforniaDreamer

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yah I lightweight thought I had gone a bit delusional when that happened.

9. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

An Alice Through the Looking Glass moment: Cue in music from the Twilight Zone. Really, you are just visiting here from an alternative reality, and this is the first clue to your unknowing displacement.

CaliforniaDreamer and LizzyM like this.