Hobbies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedSchoolChica

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a choice on the Work/Activities portion of the AMCAS application that is titled Extracurriculars/Hobbies/Avocations. My question is this: if one has left over space, (ie. doesn't have a full 15 activities) would it be advantageous to write a little blurb about hobbies, and things you do for fun, even if they aren't something done in clubs. For example, I'm an avid swimmer, I crochet, draw, write poetry etc...and none of these things are done in a club setting, but it may be nice to mention these things, to show I do more than tutor, research, study, etc...

Members don't see this ad.

There is a choice on the Work/Activities portion of the AMCAS application that is titled Extracurriculars/Hobbies/Avocations. My question is this: if one has left over space, (ie. doesn't have a full 15 activities) would it be advantageous to write a little blurb about hobbies, and things you do for fun, even if they aren't something done in clubs. For example, I'm an avid swimmer, I crochet, draw, write poetry etc...and none of these things are done in a club setting, but it may be nice to mention these things, to show I do more than tutor, research, study, etc...

I listed that I like to play basketball (usually just pickup) and go walking in the evening (yes I know I am an old man:)) and several interviewers asked me about both--the admissions readers like to know what you do to unwind, and "get to know you as a person"--I definitely think you should list your hobbies, it can't hurt and might catch an interviewer's eye, make you stand out of that thick pile of applications.