Hobby as meaningful experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Astra

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to list my guitar playing as a meaningful experience ( been playing for 8 yrs).

I can write a great essay about how it taught me patience, joined a band and taught me team work.

Is this Ok?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would like to list my guitar playing as a meaningful experience ( been playing for 8 yrs).

I can write a great essay about how it taught me patience, joined a band and taught me team work.

Is this Ok?

Yup, it's okay. Just... look at @LizzyM's post about the characteristics schools are looking for and match your love of music with those traits.

Patience and teamwork... that's nice and all. How about a 'trial by fire' kind of thing, too? Ever come close to quitting but stuck with it? Ever had to be the band leader? If you're going to use your hobby of guitar playing, it better be a good explanation. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
On the surface, yes, that is a perfectly fine thing to do. However, I think more information is needed to determine if it's actually a good idea. If it was just a casual hobby and you played guitar for, say, a few hours each week, it might not sound that impactful to write about how meaningful it was to you to tinker with it here and there. If, however, you have put quite a lot of time into it over those 8 years, then it will probably be something that you can write well about. If you've put a ton of time into it, your writing about its meaning in your life will sound a lot more sincere than some random fluff you made up about 50 hours of clinical volunteering that you only wrote about because you thought it would sound better to talk about clinical experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, it's okay. Just... look at @LizzyM's post about the characteristics schools are looking for and match your love of music with those traits.

Patience and teamwork... that's nice and all. How about a 'trial by fire' kind of thing, too? Ever come close to quitting but stuck with it? Ever had to be the band leader? If you're going to use your hobby of guitar playing, it better be a good explanation. Good luck!

Oh definitely. Its always frustrating when trying to learn a song or match each other's tempos. But when you do get it right, boy it is it fulfilling. As for a leader, I was lead guitarist so I guess that could be worked in.

On the surface, yes, that is a perfectly fine thing to do. However, I think more information is needed to determine if it's actually a good idea. If it was just a casual hobby and you played guitar for, say, a few hours each week, it might not sound that impactful to write about how meaningful it was to you to tinker with it here and there. If, however, you have put quite a lot of time into it over those 8 years, then it will probably be something that you can write well about. If you've put a ton of time into it, your writing about its meaning in your life will sound a lot more sincere than some random fluff you made up about 50 hours of clinical volunteering that you only wrote about because you thought it would sound better to talk about clinical experiences.

Definitely put a good amount of time. Spent atleast an hr per day for the good portion of the 8 yrs. I can write a sincere essay just wanted to make sure the topic would be ok.

haha, I posted that! Just wanted to make sure my hobby was adequate cause I never taught anyone

Pshh such a typical lead guitarist mindset :rolleyes: JK I was a lead guitarist too at one point :D FWIW, I put being a member of my college pep band as one of my most meaningful activities. It's not exactly a hobby since it's an organized school activity, but I think it's pretty close in terms of what you'd probably talk about in your description.

Oh definitely. Its always frustrating when trying to learn a song or match each other's tempos. But when you do get it right, boy it is it fulfilling. As for a leader, I was lead guitarist so I guess that could be worked in.

I will add that schools/residencies in the middle of nowhere/crap weather seem to like hobbies that one can do alone indoors at any time any weather

you don't want to make stuff up or come across as a loner weirdo, just saying that if you're applying to Iowa listing mostly snowsports and mountain activities might not make you seem like a good fit

so as far as those reasons, I would always include 2 homebody type activities when talking about hobbies

example residency interview:

"So you're coming from this super exciting sexy place to live, how do you think you'll adjust to life here in the cornrows?"
Me: "Just fine. I love going out to eat in Super Sexy City, USA, but I also really like cooking at home and would plan on just doing more of that if I came here. Luckily my favorite way to unwind is playing guitar which I can do anywhere anytime. Also, I like x,y,z, which I can do here. Based on my reading, seems like ___ hobby is popular here so I would think about taking that up too."