Program-Specific Info / Q's Hofstra interviews/acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EsBeeOT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I would make a new thread for those of us who applied to Hofstra and got an interview invite. Let's stay in touch and keep ourselves updated on the process :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I figured I would make a new thread for those of us who applied to Hofstra and got an interview invite. Let's stay in touch and keep ourselves updated on the process :)
Hi! I just received an invitation for an interview ! I'm nervous lol

Hi! I just received an invitation for an interview ! I'm nervous lol
I am too! It's my first interview so I don't really know what to expect. I think I'm going to request a virtual interview though since I'm from California and work multiple jobs. What day are you going to choose?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am too! It's my first interview so I don't really know what to expect. I think I'm going to request a virtual interview though since I'm from California and work multiple jobs. What day are you going to choose?
I chose a Sunday, it works best for me since I work 2 jobs!

Hi, I am interviewing Thursday, the 11th. I am excited but also pretty nervous!

Congrats! I ended up asking for a virtual interview but have not gotten a response as to when that would be. I'm nervous too but definitely ready to take the next steps and get answers soon

Hey! I applied late October and heard back not too long ago. I have an interview in 2 days and was wondering if you can give me some insight. I've never attended a group interview before. What questions were asked and just anything else you can remember I guess. Thanks in advance!

^^ my interview is tomorrow, I'm nervous because I've never done a group interview

Hey! I applied late October and heard back not too long ago. I have an interview in 2 days and was wondering if you can give me some insight. I've never attended a group interview before. What questions were asked and just anything else you can remember I guess. Thanks in advance!
They asked pretty basic questions like why ot over other health professions, what qualities make you stand out over other applicants, what the difference between ot and pt is and they asked 2 discussion questions that we all talked about. My best advice would be to take a deep breath and try not to be nervous. I definitely let my nerves get the best of me and I feel like I could’ve done better. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
They asked pretty basic questions like why ot over other health professions, what qualities make you stand out over other applicants, what the difference between ot and pt is and they asked 2 discussion questions that we all talked about. My best advice would be to take a deep breath and try not to be nervous. I definitely let my nerves get the best of me and I feel like I could’ve done better. Good luck!
thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks a ton! was it intense? I just had an interview at another school this past week and I also feel like I let my nerves get the best of me. It was pretty intense though. not trying to go through that again

Hi everyone! I have my interview on the 16th! I was wondering if there was a written portion? On some spots on their website it says there is, but there was no mention of it in the email I received.

Hi everyone! I have my interview on the 16th! I was wondering if there was a written portion? On some spots on their website it says there is, but there was no mention of it in the email I received.
Hi, there was no written portion. They did 2 discussion questions instead.

Hi, there was no written portion. They did 2 discussion questions instead.
Sorry but I am a little confused, did they have you write down these discussion questions? Or did you discuss verbally?

Sorry but I am a little confused, did they have you write down these discussion questions? Or did you discuss verbally?
they told us the questions and we discussed within our group while they watched lol

You just have a "casual" conversation with the other people being interviewed about the question being asked. We didn't have to write anything at all. Don't stress! You'll be just fine!

How do you think you did?
Honestly, I can never tell haha. I think I did fine/well for the first half but was a bit thrown off by my second interviewers since one kept cutting everyone off lmao. You??

Honestly, I can never tell haha. I think I did fine/well for the first half but was a bit thrown off by my second interviewers since one kept cutting everyone off lmao. You??
lol! my first set of interviewers one also kept cutting everyone off haha. the second one was much more laid back.

I just got an acceptance email! Wishing everyone the best of luck :)

Yayy! I got an email saying I got accepted earlier today! best of luck everyone!!

Just got accepted to Hofstra's OT program yesterday!! :)

Hey everyone, I just got an email saying I have to pay the $500 deposit by Feb 12th. Did anyone else get this email? I didn't get my acceptance letter in the mail yet. The only reason I'm interested in that is to see if I was offered a scholarship. Did anyone get offered a scholarship by any chance?

Hey everyone, I just got an email saying I have to pay the $500 deposit by Feb 12th. Did anyone else get this email? I didn't get my acceptance letter in the mail yet. The only reason I'm interested in that is to see if I was offered a scholarship. Did anyone get offered a scholarship by any chance?
I got the same email, and I haven't heard anything about scholarships. Maybe we'll find out later?

Hi does anyone know the chances of even getting an interview if I submit my application today?

Does anyone know the exact start date of the program?
Going back to last year (Summer 2017) class schedules, it seems that the 'HPR 130: Orientation to OT: The Profession and Practice' hybrid class (online and in classroom) was available from June 27th-August 1st on Tuesday and Thursday from 6:30pm-8:20pm. If you haven't fulfilled this pre-requisite, you will have to before the semester begins. The FALL 2017 semester began on September 5, 2017 and ended on December 20, 2017. FALL 2017 class schedule was: Monday 4:30-6:20. Tuesday 4:30pm-6:20pm and 7:30-8:20pm. Wednesday 4:30pm-6:20pm and 6:30pm-8:20pm. Thursday 4:30pm-6:20pm and 6:30pm-8:20pm

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 2.34.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 2.34.59 PM.png
    224 KB · Views: 75
Just got accepted :)

Also got accepted this morning! :)

I was accepted to Hofstra's OT program for Fall 2018 as well! I went ahead and paid the $500 deposit to save my seat in the program. My interview was a virtual interview back in January. I am nervous to attend because I don't know much about this program. Can anyone who had an in-person interview (or a current student) share their perspective and their thoughts about the OT program and about the Long Island area? I am from Tennessee and would love any perspective about the program/ area I can get.
I am so excited to meet you all and start this OT journey together!

I was accepted to Hofstra's OT program for Fall 2018 as well! I went ahead and paid the $500 deposit to save my seat in the program. My interview was a virtual interview back in January. I am nervous to attend because I don't know much about this program. Can anyone who had an in-person interview (or a current student) share their perspective and their thoughts about the OT program and about the Long Island area? I am from Tennessee and would love any perspective about the program/ area I can get.
I am so excited to meet you all and start this OT journey together!

Congratulations on your acceptance! I did an in-person interview in mid January, and will also be attending in the Fall. They set it up where we were interviewed by two professors, those two left, and then another two professors came in to interview us. After that we went into a separate room to ask all four of the interviewers questions. Then they left, and we spoke to some current students and asked them questions. Not sure if your virtual interview had a similar setup. But yea, as soon as I walked in for my interview, personally, the program felt right for me. I'm from a neighboring area, but have gone to school in the area by Hofstra my whole life. Hofstra's program is new, but it's really good and is already making a name for itself. Everyone was extremely friendly and willing to answer any and all questions. The professors we met seemed willing to work with you and help any way that they can. It's a small class, I think they said about 31 people would be accepted for this cohort. The students were telling us how everyone gets really close and helps each other out whether it be for academics, carpooling, anything. The program is fairly new so all the equipment is new and state-of-the-art. We were in one of the OT labs and it seemed pretty cool. I think what really attracted me the most, was that the program seemed like a big family. And the Long Island area is great so I wouldn't worry about that. Right around the university itself there are several great food places and bars. There's a coliseum in the area where are a lot of major concerts and stuff occur. If you have any more questions feel free to ask me personally :)

hi. i was waitlisted over a month ago and was wondering if anyone had any information about chances of getting in off the waitlist?!
thank you!

congratulations on you acceptances :] I too have been waitlisted and wanted to reach out and see if anyone has made any movement or dropped their deposit with Hofstra.

Hi! Has anyone made a Facebook group for our cohort?

Hi! Has anyone made a Facebook group for our cohort?
Hi! I had interviews and was accepted in January for Fall 2018! I just started looking to see if there was a Facebook group and found this thread! I haven't found any groups maybe we should make one?

Yessss I'm not sure how but I can figure it out lol

Hey everyone! Congrats! I was also accepted into Hofstra’s MSOT program! If there is a Facebook or Instagram page for incoming students, please drop the link! I looked but couldn’t find anything. I’m taking Kinesiology at Hofstra this summer& am Excited to meet everyone either then or in September.

Hey everyone! Congrats! I was also accepted into Hofstra’s MSOT program! If there is a Facebook or Instagram page for incoming students, please drop the link! I looked but couldn’t find anything. I’m taking Kinesiology at Hofstra this summer& am Excited to meet everyone either then or in September.
Hiii! I am also taking Kinesiology over the summer so I will meet you then! Does anyone know if our class will be graduating in 2020 or in 2021?

Reactions: 1 users
Where will everyone be living?! Can’t wait to meet you all