Hofstra Univ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycstudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new here, just found out about this forum, wished I did earlier since I applied to doctorate psych programs this year.

So far I've only heard from Hofstra University, Long Island. Hofstra was one of my back up schools so I didn't do much research on it. Can anybody give me some info concerning their clinical program? I know that they used to be a clinical-school, but now they changed it to clinical only. What's their rep in psych in terms of NY schools, nationally? Thanks in any help in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

The school has a pretty good reputation. It is supposed to be St. Johns' rival program. You should also know that Hofstra is a strictly CBT program. If you have any interest in psychodynamic theory/practice than it is not the program for you.
It is also a very practice oriented PhD prgram. I spoke to someone who is in their 4th year there and they said there is not such a strong research requirement. this may change with the switch to general clinical but I don't think it will.
Good luck

I also got accepted at Hofstra, but am still waiting for another school that has better funding. I had a really good impression of the Hofstra program at the interview, the students seemed to love it and the faculty seemed really relaxed and friendly with the grad students. It wasnt one of my top choices either, but after visiting, I think I'd really enjoy it.

I'm interested in the program's reputation also, so if anyone has any info, please share!

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not get in to Hofstra, but if I was in your position I wouldn't be so concerned. I think hofstra is known as a strong program in New York and will therefore not have an internship crisis in 3 years. I think match rates are only a major concern in diploma factories, which Hofstra is obviously not. I may be wrong though, I don't really have much exp.

I did not get in to Hofstra, but if I was in your position I wouldn't be so concerned. I think hofstra is known as a strong program in New York and will therefore not have an internship crisis in 3 years. I think match rates are only a major concern in diploma factories, which Hofstra is obviously not. I may be wrong though, I don't really have much exp.

I'm actually I bit dissapointed that hofstra is abandoning the combine part of their program. It's the only ph.d. in the area that was combined. Plus, I heard that the appic process is horrendous and is not something to look forward to. Does anybody know the pros and cons of having an appic internship vs. a non-appic one?

Does anyone know where most of the students attending Hofstra live? Would it be doable to live in Brooklyn/Manhattan? I don't think I'd like to live in the Hempstead area.

Does anyone know where most of the students attending Hofstra live? Would it be doable to live in Brooklyn/Manhattan? I don't think I'd like to live in the Hempstead area.

Based on what I know about Brook/Man, and what I know about clinical programs......it'd probably be pretty miserable because of the commute. You will spend a SIGNIFICANT amount of time on campus/in the lab, your schedule can change a lot, and you will pretty much have to leave the house/apartment once and go for the day.

Because of the above factors, I like the fact I'm only 10 minutes from campus. If I have a long day ahead of me, but I have a gap in the early afternoon....I can shoot home for a nap, run an errand, etc. If I have a long commute, it pretty much eliminates that option. I don't like being on an island (no pun intended) For studying it is nice to be around school. Most people tend to be in the same area, and it makes scheduling meetings, study sessions, etc.

-t

I finally decided on HOFSTRA!

If anyone had any questions, doesnt know what to do, etc - i know the deadline is basically today or monday - but i'd love to answer what i can (i have friends who are in or went to just about every program in NY, as well as one who is in hofstra now, whose input was crucial to helping me make my decision!)

:) Oh, and dont break any mirrors today! :)

Hempstead is the largest town on Long Island with, I believe, somewhere around 750,000 inhabitants. That being said, there are both nice and not so nices places to live in Hempstead. For rent, the further east on the island you go, generally the cheaper the rent gets. Nassau County (the county where Hempstead is located) is the more expensive of the two Long Island counties although that disparity is quickly disappearing. Check out neighboring areas such as Baldwin, Oceanside, Island Park and even further areas such as Huntington, Smithtown, etc (even though these later towns are much further east I still feel it is an easier commute via the Northern State and Meadowbrook or even LIE than hopping on the LIRR). Also, renting and living on LI is slightly cheaper than living in Manhattan. Of course many factors play a part in that equation but I am speaking generally.

Let me know if you need any other help with the island.

*ella:banana:

Hempstead is the largest town on Long Island with, I believe, somewhere around 750,000 inhabitants. That being said, there are both nice and not so nices places to live in Hempstead. For rent, the further east on the island you go, generally the cheaper the rent gets. Nassau County (the county where Hempstead is located) is the more expensive of the two Long Island counties although that disparity is quickly disappearing. Check out neighboring areas such as Baldwin, Oceanside, Island Park and even further areas such as Huntington, Smithtown, etc (even though these later towns are much further east I still feel it is an easier commute via the Northern State and Meadowbrook or even LIE than hopping on the LIRR). Also, renting and living on LI is slightly cheaper than living in Manhattan. Of course many factors play a part in that equation but I am speaking generally.

Let me know if you need any other help with the island.

*ella:banana:

Thanks for the advice! I've always lived in a city though, so the thought of going suburban feels a bit foreign to me. Plus I have friends, family, and SO in the city... I think I'll start off with the LIRR commute and then see how I feel after a year..