Hofstra vs. Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted977121

Hofstra (received 50% tuition scholarship for all 4 yrs)
Pros:

-Close to home (I would have the choice of living at home w/ commute of ~1 hour)
-About $100k cheaper
-Would want to be a resident/attending in the Northwell system in the future
-Class of 100, so I feel like I would get closer to student body/faculty

Cons:
-rank

Case
Pros:

-rank
-potentially more research opportunities/pubs
-more competitive matches

Cons:
-$100k more expensive (solely based on tuition, but I'm expecting it to be a little more than this because I would have to buy groceries, etc, whereas if I attended Hofstra, I know my family will help out a lot in this regard)
-Not close to home at all
-Bigger class size

I'm very interested in derm and/or plastics, and I know with Step 1 becoming P/F, clerkship grades and school rank is going to become very important. Although I am partial to Hofstra, should I be choosing Case for my future? Pls help weigh in!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're interested in plastics at Hofstra, I can say that getting research/pubs won't be a problem. If you want, I can tell you a bit more over PM.

I agree with the emphasis on clerkship grades, and Hofstra's clerkship grading scheme is set up such that subjective evaluations by attendings make up only 10% of your grade (I've heard it makes up 30-50% at other places; I don't know about Case unfortunately).

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
That's tough. I would lean Hofstra just cause of your desire to match specifically into Northwell. Even though they didn't match anyone into plastics/derm last year, I think if you look at the quality of the institutions that Hofstra matches into, I'm sure the potential is definitely there to go derm/plastics. With also how high their students score on Step 1 (their average was actually higher than Case's last year by a point), I'm sure they will prepare you just as well for Step 2 as Case. That is in addition to the support system and amount of money you will be saving at Hofstra.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
If you're interested in plastics at Hofstra, I can say that getting research/pubs won't be a problem. If you want, I can tell you a bit more over PM.

I agree with the emphasis on clerkship grades, and Hofstra's clerkship grading scheme is set up such that subjective evaluations by attendings make up only 10% of your grade (I've heard it makes up 30-50% at other places; I don't know about Case unfortunately).

Is the 10% a good or bad thing? Also @pink101 , I'm going through the same exact decision, if you want to talk about it!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user