• Hofstra

Votes: 23 52.3%
  • Case Western

Votes: 21 47.7%

• Total voters
Mar 26, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hofstra (received 50% tuition scholarship for all 4 yrs)
Pros:

-Close to home (I would have the choice of living at home w/ commute of ~1 hour)
-About $100k cheaper
-Would want to be a resident/attending in the Northwell system in the future
-Class of 100, so I feel like I would get closer to student body/faculty

Cons:
-rank

Case
Pros:

-rank
-potentially more research opportunities/pubs
-more competitive matches

Cons:
-$100k more expensive (solely based on tuition, but I'm expecting it to be a little more than this because I would have to buy groceries, etc, whereas if I attended Hofstra, I know my family will help out a lot in this regard)
-Not close to home at all
-Bigger class size

I'm very interested in derm and/or plastics, and I know with Step 1 becoming P/F, clerkship grades and school rank is going to become very important. Although I am partial to Hofstra, should I be choosing Case for my future? Pls help weigh in!

Last edited:

ginsengreset

2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
If you're interested in plastics at Hofstra, I can say that getting research/pubs won't be a problem. If you want, I can tell you a bit more over PM.

I agree with the emphasis on clerkship grades, and Hofstra's clerkship grading scheme is set up such that subjective evaluations by attendings make up only 10% of your grade (I've heard it makes up 30-50% at other places; I don't know about Case unfortunately).

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

hailbate

5+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
That's tough. I would lean Hofstra just cause of your desire to match specifically into Northwell. Even though they didn't match anyone into plastics/derm last year, I think if you look at the quality of the institutions that Hofstra matches into, I'm sure the potential is definitely there to go derm/plastics. With also how high their students score on Step 1 (their average was actually higher than Case's last year by a point), I'm sure they will prepare you just as well for Step 2 as Case. That is in addition to the support system and amount of money you will be saving at Hofstra.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Jul 10, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
If you're interested in plastics at Hofstra, I can say that getting research/pubs won't be a problem. If you want, I can tell you a bit more over PM.

I agree with the emphasis on clerkship grades, and Hofstra's clerkship grading scheme is set up such that subjective evaluations by attendings make up only 10% of your grade (I've heard it makes up 30-50% at other places; I don't know about Case unfortunately).

Is the 10% a good or bad thing? Also @pink101 , I'm going through the same exact decision, if you want to talk about it!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads