Hokies out there

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

roanoke

Curious to know how many VT folks are here and success getting into pharmacy school. Trying to gauge how VT is viewed by the admission folk...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm graduating from VT this spring with a B.A. in Chemistry and a B.S. in HNFE. I will be starting at UNC School of Pharmacy this fall. I think a lot of schools look at Tech pretty highly in terms of pre-req courses. Where are you planning on applying?

Curious to know how many VT folks are here and success getting into pharmacy school. Trying to gauge how VT is viewed by the admission folk...

Hey there!

I go to Tech and will graduate with a B.S. in Biological Sciences and a minor in Chemistry in May. I am going to Shenandoah University's School of Pharmacy next year. I think Tech has been viewed really highly by the schools. I was offered an interview at each of the schools I applied to (Shenandoah, Mercer, Maryland, and Wingate). My advisor is always saying that Virginia Commonwealth has an awesome relationship with Tech, because of the 3 and 1 program we have with them, so I know they are really receptive to us. I decided against applying there because they wouldn't accept some of my dual enrollment and AP credit from high school and I would have had to redo a ton of classes, but I know that Tech has a great rate of acceptance at VCU.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
That's good to hear... I graduated a while ago, in 1997, with BS in Bio and Chem minor. So i'll be battling course time limits at some schools but i've got a good resume and grades, so hopefully that all helps.

Anyways... I'm looking at many schools right now but will narrow it down as appliation time arrives: MCPHS, Shenandoah, VCU, UACP, UNC, Wingate, Rutgers, Albany, LECOM, Pitt, WVU

I'd like to get back to the south- I've been in CT for a fw years now. Family and friends still in VA, so Shenadoah and VCU are of great interest to me... debating UACP b/c it's still not accredited and it's in Grundy.

Hey Everyone. I graduated in 2002 with a BS in Chemical Engineering, worked as a formulation scientist in the Pharma industry for the past 5 years and just got accepted to MCPHS-Worcester. Though my GPA was below average (3.3), the admissions folks commented that the difficulty of my curriculum coupled with the quality of my school weighed heavily into their decision. That tells me they hold VT in pretty high regard. Good luck to everyone.

I am also a fellow hokie. I graduated in May 2006 and I am currently a first year at U Maryland Pharmacy School. I think that if you have solid grades at Tech and good/decent PCAT scores, then you should be fine getting into a school. I know that people I graduated with mostly went to VCU and Shenandoah, but I know some that went to other states as well. At Maryland, I know that there is usually one Hokie that gets in each year, but I don't know that many VT students that apply to Maryland to begin with. Most people applying from Tech are from Virginia and want to stay in state. Good luck to all of you applying! :)

hey ima be attending tech fall 2008, and planning on majoring in biology. i really want to attend pharmacy after my 2nd or 3rd year at tech. what should i take my first year?

Hey there!

I go to Tech and will graduate with a B.S. in Biological Sciences and a minor in Chemistry in May. I am going to Shenandoah University's School of Pharmacy next year. I think Tech has been viewed really highly by the schools. I was offered an interview at each of the schools I applied to (Shenandoah, Mercer, Maryland, and Wingate). My advisor is always saying that Virginia Commonwealth has an awesome relationship with Tech, because of the 3 and 1 program we have with them, so I know they are really receptive to us. I decided against applying there because they wouldn't accept some of my dual enrollment and AP credit from high school and I would have had to redo a ton of classes, but I know that Tech has a great rate of acceptance at VCU.:)

Is there an actual process to doing to 3+1 program? I actually plan on doing that for Biochemistry major, except my adviser just said to get into pharmacy school and after completion of one year, they'll transfer enough credits back to complete my requirements for BS for Biochemistry. I am planning on applying this coming cycle!