Hold For Interview....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SM-UCLA tech

CCOM MS4 soon OB/Gyn PGY1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well.....I am not sure what to think of this letter from Penn St.

It's the famous "hold for possible interview".....

I know it's not a rejection, (yet!), but can anyone tell me how good or bad this is?

What are the statistics of getting an interview once you are placed in this category?

Are there any others of you out there in this category at Penn St....or any other school?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

don't hold your breath for an interview. other schools that do this? Rush, GWU, Albany, UCSD to my knowledge.

i got a "hold for interview" last year from penn state...

...never took me off hold.

hence i am reapplying.

don't worry...still early in the process...good luck the rest of the way.

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend was put on a hold for interview and told she should hear from them in 6 to 8 weeks. It was 12 weeks and I suggested she call the school. She did and they just happened to have a cancellation and asked her if she wanted to come that week. She of course said yes.

It appears like they somehow misplaced her file so it was good that she called. The school was MCV (Medical College of Virginia).

So to answer your question at this point in the process it is an ok thing. It means they could be interested but they want to go through people that have a better application. It is not a rejection and that is always good. If you don't hear from them in a few months, I would suggest calling or emailing them and letting them know you are still interested in their school.

Amy Beth

put on hold at SD... got interview 2 weeks later... there is hope

Originally posted by Amy B
My friend was put on a hold for interview and told she should hear from them in 6 to 8 weeks. It was 12 weeks and I suggested she call the school. She did and they just happened to have a cancellation and asked her if she wanted to come that week. She of course said yes.

It appears like they somehow misplaced her file so it was good that she called. The school was MCV (Medical College of Virginia).

So to answer your question at this point in the process it is an ok thing. It means they could be interested but they want to go through people that have a better application. It is not a rejection and that is always good. If you don't hear from them in a few months, I would suggest calling or emailing them and letting them know you are still interested in their school.

Amy Beth

i think this is a different type of hold. i got a similar notification, but mine said that i was being offered an interview, but they just don't know when yet (i just submitted my secondary, like, two weeks ago and i'm out of state, so i guess that's why)... i also got the PSU and i think the GW one (my mom has the GW letter, so i don't know what it says exactly). i'm sure they mean different things (the PSU/GW version and the MCV version).

Has anyone heard of a pre-interview hold at Pritzker (University of Chicago)?

Anyone know what the deal is at UW-Madison? When you get their secondary, it implies that you will get an interview, assuming you turn the sec in. Thoughts?

Originally posted by appomattox
Has anyone heard of a pre-interview hold at Pritzker (University of Chicago)?

Hey I just got a pre-interview hold from them too:

The e-mail basically says that the app will be reviewed a second time, sometime before Feb 15. If we don't hear anything by Feb 15, I think it's safe to assume that we're getting a rejection. I asked my pre-med advisor about the hold list at Pritzker, and she said that over the years there hasn't been much movement off of it. I dunno, but I'm bummed.

If you get UW-Madison's secondary, you DO GET an interview automatically. You can even call them up and schedule it before you hand in your secondary, but their deadline was NOV 15. So if you have handed it in aleady, go ahead and give them a call to schedule, i am 100% certian of this.

I am not sure if Penn puts everyone on hold.

I do know that Rush puts people who don't get interviews on hold. Basicaly, if you have a hold from Rush and you're not in-state, consider that a rejection since they take the in-state people from the HOLD file to Interview.

As for GWU, GWU DOES reject people pre-interview so a HOLD is definitely good.

yeah, i got one of those a while ago. i assumed it was a rejection. i think my premed advisor said it was too. too bad, i was looking forward to visiting the chocolate factories.