Holding a US vet license while practicing overseas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

truffleshuffle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I graduated from vet school in the US and practiced there in NY for a year before moving to New Zealand. I'd like to keep my US license current so I don't have to take the NAVLE again if I move back. Sorry if this is a confusing post, I'm looking for advise on either approved online CE courses or a different state I could apply for a license that would be more flexible on accepting international CE credits.

What's everyone's opinion on which state would be the easiest to hold a license in while being overseas in terms of the CE requirements? I have a current New Zealand vet license and am required to take CE here to keep this current. However, I have talked to the state board and NY is quite strict on their CE requirements, so I would have to look up online CE courses (which they don't have a list of) to take to keep my NY license current in addition to the CE I'm required to take for NZ. Otherwise does anyone know a variety of approved online CE I can do for this?

Thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe someone else will have a suggestion, but every state board is different, and as far as I know there isn't one place with all the details, so in this instance I think you're going to have to comb through state licensing boards and see what they require. I think when I was looking things up a couple years ago there may have been states (Florida maybe? I can't remember, I didn't get licensed wherever it was after all) that seemed to have limits for the number of hours that can be online so as so pay attention to that as well. Honestly even if you have to 'double do' the CE, it's annoying but you'll really only be better off for it and NY's requirement comes down to 15 hours/year...that can be knocked out in a weekend if it's important to you to keep the US license active. There are online avenues like Vet Girl On the Run, VIN, the food companies, IDEXX, and some of the USDA modules that offer online RACE-approved CE.

Does NY have a limit on how much of your CE can be online? There are lots of good online options for CE.