Holding blood thinners for vertiflex?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To piggyback, I’d love to hear people’s experience with this. I just got trained and hoping to start it up soon.

Are you batting around 80% success like the ide study?
How quick do you see results?
Any complications encountered?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope. Have placed them in patients on Plavix, Warfarin, and Brilinta.
Thnx! Any other thoughts from the peanut gallery? I am a little conflicted as there is no official guidance.

I dont hold for L MBB/RF, and I understand this is outside the canal, but I feel like its a fairly invasive procedure. I guess the thought is that as long as the ligamentum flavum is not violated the bleeding should not invade the epidural space?

Reactions: 1 user
It is hard to do any cautery. If you have bleeding you are limited to an epiwash and packing it with gauze for a few minutes. You can pack it with hemostatic foam worst case. I have used the foam a few times on scs midline incisions that would not stop oozing.

I do, it involves an incision. I treat the same as scs perm. Fwiw

It's justaxial without involvement of the ligament. Bleed all you want there.

i've been holding although i always wondered it's probably safe to do one without holding as orin mentioned.
btw i've been getting dislodgement of spacers.. had my second one recently with perfect placement on implant. i'm wondering if this is common. my first one i had a suspicion this can possibly happen bc spine had some mild rotatory scoliosis..

I’ve been having fractures even with spinoplasty. These are all oldsters though, mostly women, poor surgical candidates overall, with osteopenia. I feel like there was no other option to treat them.

I’ve been having fractures even with spinoplasty. These are all oldsters though, mostly women, poor surgical candidates overall, with osteopenia. I feel like there was no other option to treat them.
I’ve had a couple fractures as well, but as you said, what else do you do? Try to aggressively treat osteopenia first?

Are you getting bone densities on these patients pre-operatively? I will admit I have not, unless they have a history of fractures

I’ve had a couple fractures as well, but as you said, what else do you do? Try to aggressively treat osteopenia first?

Are you getting bone densities on these patients pre-operatively? I will admit I have not, unless they have a history of fractures
I get DEXAs if they haven’t had recently. I don’t always get one in men. I treat the osteopenia with Evista or Fosamax after getting the result but I don’t wait 3 months to place the Vertiflex or anything like that.