Holding multiple acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Acoustica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was lucky enough to be accepted to two schools this past week and have been given two weeks to respond..I don't feel like I'm ready to make a decision on the schools because I don't know anything about how much aid I will be getting and how much the schools will cost. Could I confirm at both spots and withdraw from one later on?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Accept both now. You will have until May 15th to decide which school you want to go to. On that day, you'll only be able to hold onto one of your acceptance (you can stay on the waitlists of other schools if there are any).

Yes. Accept both now. You will have until May 15th to decide which school you want to go to. On that day, you'll only be able to hold onto one of your acceptance (you can stay on the waitlists of other schools if there are any).

Some schools (like the ones that start in July) have earlier dates for making a final decision - just make sure you don't miss the deadline for your school to be holding only 1 acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I was lucky enough to be accepted to two schools this past week and have been given two weeks to respond..I don't feel like I'm ready to make a decision on the schools because I don't know anything about how much aid I will be getting and how much the schools will cost. Could I confirm at both spots and withdraw from one later on?

Do you have to pay money to hold your seat and if so do they refund you the money later if you decide to withdraw?

Do you have to pay money to hold your seat and if so do they refund you the money later if you decide to withdraw?

Depends on the school. From what I have heard, most have refundable deposits if you withdraw before a certain date. However, I am sure there are schools out there with nonrefundable deposits.

If the OP is talking about allo schools the deposits would most likely be refundable. Osteo schools have a different deposit process and deposits are usually huge and unrefundable. So yes OP it is in your favor to hold both those spots and just pay the fee for right now unless one of them is an osteo school or unless you really hate one of the schools or something.

Hey guys,

Hold them and don't let SDN members sass you for doing it until you are ready to make a decision.

Depends on the school, but most deposits will be refundable before May 15th.

Will having more than one acceptance increase chances of receiving some money from the school? I got accepted to a in state public and to out of state private. Paid the deposit for the instate and not the private yet. Neither are top 20 schools.

I liked the private school better, but in state cheaper tuition. Ugh

Will having more than one acceptance increase chances of receiving some money from the school? I got accepted to a in state public and to out of state private. Paid the deposit for the instate and not the private yet. Neither are top 20 schools.

I liked the private school better, but in state cheaper tuition. Ugh
Potentially, but unless you're a stellar candidate, it's unlikely. Also, usually works best in the other direction from what I've heard, anecdotally. Aka this top-tier school gave me full tuition scholarship, but I'm really interested in attending your (lesser) school--is there any way you can help me out?

Potentially, but unless you're a stellar candidate, it's unlikely. Also, usually works best in the other direction from what I've heard, anecdotally. Aka this top-tier school gave me full tuition scholarship, but I'm really interested in attending your (lesser) school--is there any way you can help me out?

So there's no point in paying the refundable deposit

So there's no point in paying the refundable deposit
Unless you're really stretched for cash (in which case you might be able to email and request a waiver), why wouldn't you? It's too early to have heard about financial aid from the private school, and who knows, they might find a couple of quarters underneath the couch cushions.

Reactions: 1 users
necro'd 3 year old thread. nice :(