Holding off on Secondary Fees and Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xaznxcountx

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm sure I'm in the same boat as many others. Basically going to retake the DAT beginning of August and worried my old scores may cause a rejection without my new scores coming in first. I was wondering would it be beneficial to hold off on the secondary application and secondary fee until I retake? I assume schools don't look at your file until the the fee is payed correct? The schools have already received my application (submitted June 23rd), so I was going to pay the secondary fees the day I retake and fax scores to my respective schools. Is that a good strategy?

Members don't see this ad.

wow i was actually thinking of doing the same thing too! my application is being sent out today and two schools have already received my application. however i'm still waiting on my LORs to be sent..anybody else have any input?

Well if you tell the schools that you are re-taking the DAT, they usually put your file on "hold" status. However, I remember some people last year saying they got rejected before the school received their new DAT scores. I would suggest calling the schools and asking what you should do. I think the people who got rejected only marked on the AADSAS application that they were going to re-take and it was overlooked by the school. If you called and specifically told them, it might be a better option. It's almost always a good idea to submit everything ASAP. I can tell you some schools will look at your app with or without your secondary app or fee. USC is a case for me last year. I changed my mind and didn't send in my secondary app or fee. Come August, they sent me an interview invite. Hope this helps.