Holding onto acceptances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ointment

Reaction score
Hello! I am currently very grateful to have 6 acceptances. A few of these are to schools that I would seriously consider attending, and a few are not (which I realized in the interview process).

One of these schools gave me about ~90% of full tuition and is a top 10 school, but I almost certainly would not attend because I have a full-tuition scholarship at another top 20 school that I really love. However, I am still waiting to hear back from penn and other schools that I would consider over this top 20 school (edit: if they give a comparable scholarship, of course)

Is there any reason that I should keep my acceptance to the school that is giving me the 90% tuition? I know that penn sometimes matches merit scholarships, and I would certainly let them know about this 90% of full tuition (along with the other merit aid packages) ... but is there any reason that I actually need to keep my acceptance at this school?

This might be a dumb question and I would love some clarity. I feel the pressure to drop acceptances that I do not necessarily want but I also want to be able to use the awards as leverage and do what is best for me financially. So, I would love any insight! Even if it's a "you're stupid," :~)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I would say you should hold onto it until you are ABSOLUTELY certain (not "almost certain") you would not attend. Also doesn't hurt to use as leverage for schools that match offers (though I think the full tuition offers at top 20s would do the trick--can't say for sure). You really stand to gain nothing by withdrawing now.

Edit: As a follow-up, would you attend this top 10 school over the top 20 if they gave you full tuition? Why not try negotiating better aid with them? If it's the school I'm thinking of, they may be willing to increase your aid package.

Last edited:
Hello! I am currently very grateful to have 6 acceptances. A few of these are to schools that I would seriously consider attending, and a few are not (which I realized in the interview process).

One of these schools gave me about ~90% of full tuition and is a top 10 school, but I almost certainly would not attend because I have a full-tuition scholarship at another top 20 school that I really love. However, I am still waiting to hear back from penn and other schools that I would consider over this top 20 school (edit: if they give a comparable scholarship, of course)

Is there any reason that I should keep my acceptance to the school that is giving me the 90% tuition? I know that penn sometimes matches merit scholarships, and I would certainly let them know about this 90% of full tuition (along with the other merit aid packages) ... but is there any reason that I actually need to keep my acceptance at this school?

This might be a dumb question and I would love some clarity. I feel the pressure to drop acceptances that I do not necessarily want but I also want to be able to use the awards as leverage and do what is best for me financially. So, I would love any insight! Even if it's a "you're stupid," :~)
Even if you don't hear back from Penn, the full ride school is still a better deal than the 90/10 school. So dump the latter and make some other candidate happy.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Once something is off the list, dump it and move on

Reactions: 1 user
I have to ask, what is it that made you so far above the other candidates that you got 90-100% scholarships?

I didn't even know scholarships for med school were a thing, let alone a full ride for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Considering that the average accepted student already has super high scores in everything, I can't imagine what would push someone so far over the top like that.

I have to ask, what is it that made you so far above the other candidates that you got 90-100% scholarships?

I didn't even know scholarships for med school were a thing, let alone a full ride for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Considering that the average accepted student already has super high scores in everything, I can't imagine what would push someone so far over the top like that.

Top schools are more generous since they're given so much in donations hence why some of these schools have people's names on them. Mayo, for instance, gives most of their students hefty aid. Or the Geffen scholarship at UCLA for FULL CoA for 40 students of their class.

And the average matriculants stats are only like a 511 and 3.7. Pretty easy to stand out, until you're at top programs. And top programs give a ton of money anways

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Typically aid matching emails are sent with some burden of proof (fin aid letter from “donor school”, portal screenshot, fwd’d fin aid email etc). I wouldnt decline an A until goal school has matched/offered what they think is an equivalent match to you. If you decline donor school A before they match, you are declining their scholarship and your upperhand at negotiations with goal school.

You should feel no pressure to drop A’s unless you are absolutely confident in your decision to do so, pressured by no one but your own choices with no regard to anyone elses feelings. You have earned those A’s and any merit aid that comes with it. The cycle will proceed with or without your declines by the CTE date