Hole Punching PAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMD to Be

not luffin' this weather.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, the testing centers give you paper to use for scratch work. It is legal to tear out a little square and use it for hole punching? I don't see why it wouldn't be? Any one?

Members don't see this ad.

DMD to Be said:
Ok, the testing centers give you paper to use for scratch work. It is legal to tear out a little square and use it for hole punching? I don't see why it wouldn't be? Any one?

i think thats called cheating and you will get in trouble for it.

What do you think students use to do when the exam wasn't administered on the computer. Probably A LOT worse things than tearing off a piece of scrap paper.

Think about it. What is actually going on here... you are tearing off a piece of paper. You are not using a calculator, a cell phone, you are not copying off your neighbor, you dont have any earpieces transmitting answers to you, there is no holepuncher in your pocket...

As a matter of fact, you dont have ANY of your own items in there except the clothes on your back.

We are using what we are GIVEN... and its nobody's business how we use it. If I wanted to roll up the paper and stick it up my nose, I very well can and no one should tell me otherwise.

And besides, wouldn't it be stated explicitly on the exam like it does for calculators?

Just a thought. I could be wrong.

Can you imagine how insanely easy it would be if you were allowed to tear little squares for the hole punching section? what would be the point on testing you on it if you could just tear out little squares and find out the answers. It would be a risk to do that especially since they're probably watching your every move but if youre willing to take it then go for it. Technically scrap paper should be used just for "scrap" work.Some centers find people touching screens a bit too much while tearing out pieces of paper to find out the answer might just be totally stretching it.
But this is what you do. why dont you try it out when you take the DAT and lemme know what happens ;) thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Notoriousjae said:
Technically scrap paper should be used just for "scrap" work....why dont you try it out when you take the DAT and lemme know what happens ;) thanks

Dont get me wrong, I HATE the thought of cheating and could NEVER in my life think about cheating on anything! There is nothing that will cause more damage to a person than lying or cheating... I really beleive that.

I am just saying that unless its clearly stated on the exam, how are we supposed to know that we are not allowed to do it?

Like I said before, I could be completely wrong. However, I am still going to try it and if they ask me to stop - I will.

The entire point of the Perceptual Ability Test is to Perceive with your MIND. If it was to involve any sort of manipulation on the part of scratch paper, it would not be called PERCEPTUAL.

The entire point is to train your brain to think and see things in a different way. It requires studying and practice, not cutting corners.

Chrono1984 said:
The entire point of the Perceptual Ability Test is to Perceive with your MIND. If it was to involve any sort of manipulation on the part of scratch paper, it would not be called PERCEPTUAL.

The entire point is to train your brain to think and see things in a different way. It requires studying and practice, not cutting corners.

Good point.

Thanks, Chrono! ;)

Fariba said:
Dont get me wrong, I HATE the thought of cheating and could NEVER in my life think about cheating on anything! There is nothing that will cause more damage to a person than lying or cheating... I really beleive that.

I am just saying that unless its clearly stated on the exam, how are we supposed to know that we are not allowed to do it?

Like I said before, I could be completely wrong. However, I am still going to try it and if they ask me to stop - I will.

NotoriousJae... I will be sure to let you know how it goes :D

Fariba, you sound like me. They give us the paper to use, so why would it matter? I can't seem to find anywhere that says it is WRONG to use the paper you are given. If I thought it truly was cheating, trust me...I would NOT do it. Another thought, we take this test in a testing center. It is not strictly a DAT test center. There are tons of other tests given every day, so the "OH, they watch you like hawks..." doesn't mean that much to me. Yes, maybe watch to see if you slip out a cell phone or a big blue book with the letters DAT on it, but I don't think they wouldn't even know what we were doing with a small square piece of paper anyway. And if they did, who cares? No one with the authority has told me it was wrong to do it.

Another point, if it was wrong to use the paper, why is it given for us to use for the PAT section? Technically, it could all be done w/out it.

And if they did, who cares? No one with the authority has told me it was wrong to do it.

Did you bother to ask? It might be a good idea to call up the testing center where you are scheduled to take the DAT and ask them about this.
The problem in assuming that if indeed they do see you doing it, that they will just ask you to stop and let you off with a verbal warning is a bit risky. How do you know they wont just terminate your test?
If its definitive that it is legal to tear pieces of paper for the PAT section, then hell, i'm all up for it as well :p
In any case,
NotoriousJae... I will be sure to let you know how it goes
you rock :thumbup:

DMD to Be said:

Geez, I can't believe this kind of discussion's really going on. Please take a step back and not think about this issue from the perspective of a frustrated, future DAT examiner but instead from the perspective of the average person. I don't think it takes much effort for someone to see that this discussion involves someone trying to achieve an unfair advantage. Nevermind the discussion of the philosophy of the scratch paper and its potential use.

Hitler truely believed there should be a master race. Psychopaths truely believed they are doing a social justice. Please don't overthink your way into believing cheating is legitimate. Ethical conduct really does matter in healthcare-related fields.

And fyi, my proctor told me he shreded up those scratch papers once he got them. I have no clue if he inspects them first. Further, these aren't "scratch paper." They're pink booklets. Something like 6 sheets thick of 8.5x11 paper.

To avoid all this cheating questions, to do those hole punch questions, have you tried working backwards. I almost always max out this section. I only have problems when bad questions arise and hole seem to be punched between holes.

decide for yourself is you think this is cheating or illegal

decide for yourself if it is ethical

My only comment is that hole punch is usually a section people do quickly so they can spend more time on other sections, so you should be flying through this section at 40 seconds a question or less to stay on track. If you really tore a square, folded it right, and then punched holes...it would take quite a bit of time...if you can do it fast...then decide for yourself what to do.