Holy Crap... Inflammable means...

Started by matth87
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

matth87

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I was doing some MCAT practice tonight and a question came up.

In the passage it stated all the compounds where non-flammable.

The answers choices where, which of the following is NOT true.
Correct Answer : All of the compound are inflammable.

Inflammable means flammable...

Who else knew this?
Jesus I laughed so hard at this question...

in·flam·ma·ble (
ibreve.gif
n-fl
abreve.gif
m
prime.gif
schwa.gif
-b
schwa.gif
l)adj.
1.
Easily ignited and capable of burning rapidly; flammable. See Usage Note at flammable.
2. Quickly or easily aroused to strong emotion; excitable.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I knew what inflammable meant, but I was doubting my knowledge because when you re-wrote the question, you didn't capitalize the "NOT" in the question.
Should have been:
"The answers choices where, which of the following is NOT true."

I read it without the not and then I started thinking that this whole thread was about sarcasm or something lol
 
:: Dr. Nick Riviera looks around in a daze with the burning wreckage of an OR and an old ether tank next to him::

Inflammable means flammable??? What a country!😀
 
I get "invaluable" meaning, it's so valuable, you can't place a distinct value on it... like the life of a loved one.

But inflammable, I never understood.
 
Hmmmm. Never really thought about it, but it makes sense...


This thread is going to become infamous!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I get "invaluable" meaning, it's so valuable, you can't place a distinct value on it... like the life of a loved one.

But inflammable, I never understood.

Inflammable means capable of becoming inflamed. Meaning it burns. Anyone who watched the TV show Cheers probably knew this one, because there was an episode where Woody is told that "irregardless" is incorrect and "regardless" is correct.

Woody:"Really? I thought it was one of those situations where both words meant the same thing. Like flammable and inflammable. BOY, DID I LEARN THAT THE HARD WAY!"
 
Wow, do all you people not watch the Simpsons? I remember other shows doing this too. In any case, inflamare, to set on fire.

Also see: inflammation, inflamed, inflatable
 
Inflammable means capable of becoming inflamed. Meaning it burns. Anyone who watched the TV show Cheers probably knew this one, because there was an episode where Woody is told that "irregardless" is incorrect and "regardless" is correct.

Woody:"Really? I thought it was one of those situations where both words meant the same thing. Like flammable and inflammable. BOY, DID I LEARN THAT THE HARD WAY!"
you know how i know you're an old man?
 
Ah...I still remember when I used to think "priceless" meant the same thing as "worthless." You can tell why I would've been confused when everyone made such a big deal out of a "worthless" painting. :laugh:
 
Funny I don't remember anything about things being flammable when studying for the MCAT
 
watching the simpsons for 10 years gained me an extra point on a practice MCAT. I knew it would pay off.