Holy Crap... Inflammable means...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matth87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was doing some MCAT practice tonight and a question came up.

In the passage it stated all the compounds where non-flammable.

The answers choices where, which of the following is NOT true.
Correct Answer : All of the compound are inflammable.

Inflammable means flammable...

Who else knew this?
Jesus I laughed so hard at this question...

in·flam·ma·ble (
ibreve.gif
n-fl
abreve.gif
m
prime.gif
schwa.gif
-b
schwa.gif
l)adj.
Easily ignited and capable of burning rapidly; flammable. See Usage Note at flammable.
2. Quickly or easily aroused to strong emotion; excitable.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know it...

And you know it now, so you won't make the mistake in the real test ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
The English language just got turned inside out...

Damn those crazy chemists.

I knew what inflammable meant, but I was doubting my knowledge because when you re-wrote the question, you didn't capitalize the "NOT" in the question.
Should have been:
"The answers choices where, which of the following is NOT true."

I read it without the not and then I started thinking that this whole thread was about sarcasm or something lol

Some things are also incomprehensible.

:: Dr. Nick Riviera looks around in a daze with the burning wreckage of an OR and an old ether tank next to him::

Inflammable means flammable??? What a country!:D

I get "invaluable" meaning, it's so valuable, you can't place a distinct value on it... like the life of a loved one.

But inflammable, I never understood.

I get "invaluable" meaning, it's so valuable, you can't place a distinct value on it... like the life of a loved one.

Its so "flammable" you can't put a match to it.

Hmmmm. Never really thought about it, but it makes sense...

This thread is going to become infamous!

Members don't see this ad :)
:: Dr. Nick Riviera looks around in a daze with the burning wreckage of an OR and an old ether tank next to him::

Inflammable means flammable??? What a country!:D

The EXACT same thing came to mind!! :laugh:

Inflammable means capable of becoming inflamed. Meaning it burns. Anyone who watched the TV show Cheers probably knew this one, because there was an episode where Woody is told that "irregardless" is incorrect and "regardless" is correct.

Woody:"Really? I thought it was one of those situations where both words meant the same thing. Like flammable and inflammable. BOY, DID I LEARN THAT THE HARD WAY!"

Wow, do all you people not watch the Simpsons? I remember other shows doing this too. In any case, inflamare, to set on fire.

Also see: inflammation, inflamed, inflatable

Inflammable means capable of becoming inflamed. Meaning it burns. Anyone who watched the TV show Cheers probably knew this one, because there was an episode where Woody is told that "irregardless" is incorrect and "regardless" is correct.

Woody:"Really? I thought it was one of those situations where both words meant the same thing. Like flammable and inflammable. BOY, DID I LEARN THAT THE HARD WAY!"
you know how i know you're an old man?

Ah...I still remember when I used to think "priceless" meant the same thing as "worthless." You can tell why I would've been confused when everyone made such a big deal out of a "worthless" painting. :laugh:

This reminds me of the infamous "vole" question.

Funny I don't remember anything about things being flammable when studying for the MCAT

This reminds me of the infamous "vole" question.

I remember that one. Good times. As soon as I learned it, it started popping up everywhere too.

watching the simpsons for 10 years gained me an extra point on a practice MCAT. I knew it would pay off.