Homeless

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Triangulation

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the last week, I've had several homeless pts come in to get prescriptions filled only to have to turn them away when they couldn't pay for them. It felt really sh$%$y. I could bring up the topic of free pharmacies, but I'm more curious about pharmacy students and advisors setting up screenings and advice stations in homeless shelters, festivals. I'm also curious if there are pharmacists that offer advice to addicted drug users regarding ADR's and stuff. Anyone know about this? I definitely want to volunteer in something like this.

Members don't see this ad.

One of my profs had such a program serving the indigent population when he was at University of Pittsburgh (clinics at homeless shelters). I believe he said something about similar programs at University of Houston, but I don't know. He talked to us specifically about a smoking cessation program he conducted, and how difficult it was to follow up on patients to check on compliance.

After reading this thread, i got :mad: . The homeless people deserve full healthcare access. Stupid politics and $$$$+pissed+

Hey, triangulation...try to help like give them phone numbers(shelter homes which sometimes give free medications or some other organizations). It is better than telling them to hit the streets.