homework before residency starts.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldenboy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everybody,
congrats to everybody who has matched.
my question is, how should we prepare ourswelves for the residency? are we required to do any reading before the residency starts. or wud anybody recommend any good books to go through before the residency starts?
thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think that you should take the time off to relax. Some PD's and faculty I met on the interview trail reccomended looking for mentors and trying to get a research project started during this period, but I think that I will just use the time to get organized and move into my new place. Just as an interesting anecdote, an attending told me about a recent malpractice case involving an intern in Michigan. This intern had made some sort of mistake early during her intern year, and upon cross examination, the plantiff's lawyer asked her what she had been doing from the period from graduation until starting residency. Well, she responded honestly about how she spent some time on the beach and visited some party city in Mexico. My attending said that this helped the plantiff establish how unprepared the intern was, but my attending also thought that the defense lawyer in this case did a really poor job of countering with how this is what everyone does after they graduate too.

lot of people read House of God before starting internship.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think House of God would be a horrible thing to read before internship...talk about depressing. Not only did the main character/author seem to hate medicine, but the absolute contempt that he had for his patients was shocking.

Find some hobbies. Preferably far away from the hospital with non-hospital type people. Hold on to those throughout your residency. They will keep you sane.

i agree...read "house of god"

House of God is like beer...an aquired taste. Personally, I can't stand the book, and hate how it's lexicon permeates the ER (Don't like the word 'GOMER', my grandfather had late-stage Alzheimers when he passed, gives me some perspective).

Lol, but to each his/her own.:laugh: