• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

goldenboy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2002
Visit site
Status
hi everybody,
congrats to everybody who has matched.
my question is, how should we prepare ourswelves for the residency? are we required to do any reading before the residency starts. or wud anybody recommend any good books to go through before the residency starts?
thanks.

Kalel

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2004
Metropolis
Visit site
Status
I think that you should take the time off to relax. Some PD's and faculty I met on the interview trail reccomended looking for mentors and trying to get a research project started during this period, but I think that I will just use the time to get organized and move into my new place. Just as an interesting anecdote, an attending told me about a recent malpractice case involving an intern in Michigan. This intern had made some sort of mistake early during her intern year, and upon cross examination, the plantiff's lawyer asked her what she had been doing from the period from graduation until starting residency. Well, she responded honestly about how she spent some time on the beach and visited some party city in Mexico. My attending said that this helped the plantiff establish how unprepared the intern was, but my attending also thought that the defense lawyer in this case did a really poor job of countering with how this is what everyone does after they graduate too.

About the Ads

erinmed2k4

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2003
NY
Visit site
Status
I think House of God would be a horrible thing to read before internship...talk about depressing. Not only did the main character/author seem to hate medicine, but the absolute contempt that he had for his patients was shocking.

Bobblehead

15+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
Find some hobbies. Preferably far away from the hospital with non-hospital type people. Hold on to those throughout your residency. They will keep you sane.

Finally M3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
House of God is like beer...an aquired taste. Personally, I can't stand the book, and hate how it's lexicon permeates the ER (Don't like the word 'GOMER', my grandfather had late-stage Alzheimers when he passed, gives me some perspective).

Lol, but to each his/her own.:laugh:

About the Ads