SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

hommologous structures

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by arpitpatel86, May 16, 2008.

1. arpitpatel86

arpitpatel86 2+ Year Member

May 9, 2008
    is parallel evolution associated with homologous structures?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. IdahoDoc

IdahoDoc 7+ Year Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Yes, with parallel evolution both the original and new species exists. The homologous structure is what connects the two. An example is with the fins of a whale and the bone in the feet of turtles while they look very different on the exterior you can see that they have similar ulna bones.
  4. arpitpatel86

arpitpatel86 2+ Year Member

May 9, 2008
    would it be correct to say that homologous structures are associated with DIVERGENT and PARALLEL EVOLUTION?
  5. doc3232

doc3232 7+ Year Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I think divergent E. would be the opposite of homologous structures of 2 species. (I know this is bad grammar).
  6. bigstix808

bigstix808 Mac Daddy Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 10, 2007
    i'm gonna have to say no on this one...let me explain.

when two things are evolving "parellel" to each other, the common characteristics evolving are heading towards the same location, but taking a differnt route. this is generally because of the differences in selective pressures for that particular organism. for example, animal X found in the forest or south georgia has a black/brown fur color to blend in to its environment to avoid predation. now animal Y, similar to animal X, found in the fields of the tundra has evolved a black/brown fur color to absorb more heat to keep warm, not because it would help with predation.

i would use the relationships...

(1) parellel evolution : analogous structures
    --> same structure, different selective pressures, arbitrary origin (example given above)

(2) converrgent evolution : analogous structures
    --> same structure, same selective pressures, different origin (bird wing, bat wing)

(3) divergent evolution : homologous structures
    --> different structure, different selective pressures, same origin (whale flipper, human arm)