Honest input/advice for audition rotation dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Per4mer8

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current MSIV who THOUGHT i had recieved all the audition acceptances I was going to get and as such filled my Nov block with an easy type rotation that would be perfect for interview flexibility (if I get Nov invites). However today I received an acceptance for an audition at an "upper-tier" Cali school.

Here's my dilemma, I'm a DO student who had basically mentally prepared myself for the reality that Cali is pretty difficult to get into (2011 NRMP stats show only 1 DO matched into Cali Anesthesia last year). I have no real connection to Cali as I was born and raised in Las Vegas. My end goal is simply to go to the best program I can that fits me, hopefully in the western U.S. (i'm including Texas).

So, do I go? Would declining the invite essentially nix any chance to go to Cali in the match? I know its neurotic to even consider declining an audition that was kindof a longshot to get in the first place but I'm confused. Thank you for any words of advice.

Members don't see this ad.

If it's UCSF, I wouldn't bother. They'll reject you a day into your audition if they don't want you... not being facetious either.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a lot of interviews in November so that would have been a big problem for me since most places will only give you a couple days off during the month. Since it might be a low yield rotation anyway, you might be better off focusing on interviewing at as many places you can during November. I'd hate to see you turn down a bunch of interviews in prime time interview season just for one program. IMO, unless matching to Cali is super important for you, I'd forget about it. Interview spots fill quickly, so November might be your only option at some places.

There are plenty of places out west that regularly match DO's including UW, AZ, several of the Texas programs, and possibly NM.

My stats are good; Step 1 >240, Step 2 >260. I honestly have no real preference in location other than western U.S as I have lived in Vegas my whole life except medical school. I'm open to move/relocate so its not an issue of that it's simply I have no experience when it comes to other states so I just don't know. I'm just a little afraid of missing prime interview season to go on 1 audition that may or may not help me. But then again if I decline the invite does that mean I should just forget about applying through ERAS to that program, or Cali entirely?

I don't think you'll have issues out west, except California. I'm not too sure about Cali. I'd say UCLA Cedars-Sinai and USC may be your best bets.

UCSF, sure, you can apply but doubt it. Don't know about Stanford.

UWash takes DOs, and you have a shot there. Look into Virginia Mason. You should have a shot at any Texas program I'd imagine. AZ and NM, too.

A rotation in November may or may not mean much, but like stated above, it is a primo interview month. Will you have to miss considerable amount of time to interview? If you believe so, then it's best to go with a chill month.

Rejecting an audition from that program likely hurts you for THAT program, but not all of Cali.

I don't think you'll have issues out west, except California. I'm not too sure about Cali. I'd say UCLA Cedars-Sinai and USC may be your best bets.

UCSF, sure, you can apply but doubt it. Don't know about Stanford.

UWash takes DOs, and you have a shot there. Look into Virginia Mason. You should have a shot at any Texas program I'd imagine. AZ and NM, too.

A rotation in November may or may not mean much, but like stated above, it is a primo interview month. Will you have to miss considerable amount of time to interview? If you believe so, then it's best to go with a chill month.

Rejecting an audition from that program likely hurts you for THAT program, but not all of Cali.

a good point.

If it's UCSF, I wouldn't bother. They'll reject you a day into your audition if they don't want you... not being facetious either.

Like all programs, UCSF can't "reject" anyone until they decide whether or not to include a given applicant on their rank list. That said, the PD will tell you right up front that doing an audition rotation does not guarantee an interview.

To the OP: The conventional wisdom suggests that an audition rotation is your best bet for a match. Does anyone know if the statistics truly bear this out? Are there any PDs on the forum to answer this? I can't say for sure, but I bet it's true. I'd do the audition at the "best" program that accepts your for a rotation. Anesthesia programs are big and do many, many interview days, often from October to February, so you can schedule them in months other than November. If you get an interview offer and there are very few dates remaining, you likely were not in their first tier of invitations, and you can use that information to decide whether to take time off from the rotation to do the interview.

Like all programs, UCSF can't "reject" anyone until they decide whether or not to include a given applicant on their rank list. That said, the PD will tell you right up front that doing an audition rotation does not guarantee an interview.

To the OP: The conventional wisdom suggests that an audition rotation is your best bet for a match. Does anyone know if the statistics truly bear this out? Are there any PDs on the forum to answer this? I can't say for sure, but I bet it's true. I'd do the audition at the "best" program that accepts your for a rotation. Anesthesia programs are big and do many, many interview days, often from October to February, so you can schedule them in months other than November. If you get an interview offer and there are very few dates remaining, you likely were not in their first tier of invitations, and you can use that information to decide whether to take time off from the rotation to do the interview.

If I went by this, I'd not matched at the program I matched. I don't buy that point above.

Also, I don't know how my statement caused any confusion. It was essentially stating what you stated. Auditioning there doesn't guarantee an interview if they don't want you (based on your application). Whereas, most other programs will extend a courtesy invite for having rotated there. I know of several students who auditioned there and within a few days (or worse, a few weeks) into their audition received rejections. If that had been me, I'd bailed on the rotation and spent the rest of the time hangin out in SF and SoCal for that month. :laugh:

Actually I believe there is some truth to this. It doesn't mean you won't ultimately match there, just that you were in a lower tier out of their initial screening from the eras apps. I actually cancelled a couple of audition rotations based on this theory. I still got an interview at one of the programs, but nothing from the other, which was expected.

Thanks for the input so far guys, I appreciate it. So it sounds like maybe I could keep the rotation and +/- cancel at a later time based on how my interview invites go, is that the concept? What about the idea that I got the audition for Nov because no one else wanted to do an audition that late? I feel like that is at least part of it especially due to how late in the season it is to be just now receiving word of acceptance.

Thanks for the input so far guys, I appreciate it. So it sounds like maybe I could keep the rotation and +/- cancel at a later time based on how my interview invites go, is that the concept?

Yes, but it will most likely kill your chances at said program. 30 day cancellation notice seemed like the standard IIRC.

What about the idea that I got the audition for Nov because no one else wanted to do an audition that late?

This could possibly be true. November is not a very popular and rather low yield audition month.

I feel like that is at least part of it especially due to how late in the season it is to be just now receiving word of acceptance.

My answers above.