Honest opinions please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lp2001db

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

With a 41(!) mcat, 3.25 gpa from Hopkins and a compelling story, submit in June and you're fine for an OH school.

You should definitely apply. I think you are a strong candidate. In my opinion, an applicant's experiences are way more important than their GPA and MCAT.

I honestly believe that experiencing what you have gone through (and still keeping your sanity) has made you a really strong applicant. Stronger than most other applicants. Make sure to get some advice and figure out the best way to relay your experiences to the adcom. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
you have nothing to worry about. Just explain your grades in the PS and you should be fine. Although your story does seem hard to believe.

Whoa- 41 MCAT! Great ECs! Your grades aren't too bad either. I'd be shocked if the committee doesn't endore you. Go for it :thumbup:

you gotta apply. that's a hell of a personal statement about your commitment to being a doctor, and gpa can always be explained in that story.

sometimes you people on here astound me... and not in a good way

your GPA is your only weakness, but it can be easily compensated for. You should apply. Sorry for everything you've gone through, but application-wise you are still in great shape.

Doc.Holliday said:

Could you explain what you meant by that? I'm not here looking for sympathy. I'd call a friend if I wanted that. The lady I saw on the premed committee a week ago basically ripped me apart and told me it'd be a waste of my money. I've seen quite a few people around here who say if you have a sub 3.3GPA it's not worth applying. I just wanted a couple non-smartass opinions from others about this.

Also, to everyone who replied sincerely, thank you. you're all more help than you know. I'm going to try to put together a very honest PS and will hope the schools can look beyond my GPA.

If you feel you are emotionally ready, then I think you should apply. You've been through a lot. Numbers wise, your application seems fine. JHU grads seem to frequently have lower GPAs because they are so stingy with the grades. 3.25 isn't THAT low anyway, and your MCAT definitely shows you know your stuff.

lp2001db said:
Could you explain what you meant by that? I'm not here looking for sympathy. I'd call a friend if I wanted that. The lady I saw on the premed committee a week ago basically ripped me apart and told me it'd be a waste of my money. I've seen quite a few people around here who say if you have a sub 3.3GPA it's not worth applying. I just wanted a couple non-smartass opinions from others about this.

Also, to everyone who replied sincerely, thank you. you're all more help than you know. I'm going to try to put together a very honest PS and will hope the schools can look beyond my GPA.

well i was really addressing the rest of the posters who blindly bought in to your story. its very unbelievable, and the way that you openly give out details (girlfriend left you for the dealer?) that are not important to your case makes it even more fishy. If youre smart enough to get into hopkins and get a 41, youre smart enough to know your advisors are dumb asses and your being overly insecure. And really, if you arent capable of that realization, then you shouldnt bother trying to be a doctor IMO.

lp2001db said:

Don't listen to Premed committees. On the other hand don't be so arrogant as to only apply to top 20 schools. Apply to a broad swath and you will get in, no problem. If you have to borrow the money to apply to a few more schools then go for it. Make sure you apply to every school within a days drive of your home. Most of the money on applications is spent on airfare and hotels!

Members don't see this ad :)
I buy the story, in part because it's compelling, in part because there's no harm in believing the OP. (I believe that most people aren't out to be total a$$es.) I think the OP should apply, but should spend A LOT of time on a very strong personal statement, which will be the application's saving grace along with the MCAT. Applying to top, mid and lower-tier schools would be a prudent strategy, if financially feasible.

lp2001db said:
I am wondering if I should even apply to med school now or save my money and get a masters then apply. Here's my situation:

I go to JHU and have a 3.25GPA and BCPM GPA in a very tough major. I got a 41P on my MCATs last april. I had a very bad soph and junior year. I was allowed to take under the minimum credits and still my grades suffered as you can see. One of my best friends from high school committed suicide at the beginning of my soph year, then my grandfather died about two months later (he was the person I was closest to my entire life). Then, start of my junior year, my fiance develops a huge drug problem, leaves me for a dealer, and took all the money I had saved up for the two of us and we've never spoken again. At the beginning of second semester, my former roommate committed suicide as well. I'd considered leaving school for a year to slow things down and get settled, but ended up staying so I could finish on time and not have to pay for a 5th year. This whole time I've been working about 20hrs/wk also. Now, I've saved up just about enough to apply to several schools and was wondering if it would be a complete waste of time.

I have, in addition to the 20hrs/wk work for the past 4 years and full time every summer, 1 year of NMR spec research, 1 year of clinical research at the med school, physician shadowing, and some LORs from docs and well as the usual from teachers. I'm an Ohio resident and would probably apply to mostly schools from Ohio so I won't have to go overboard on travelling costs. That would give me the most bang for my buck.

Do you guys think it's just a waste of time and money to apply now and I should hold off until I've got a masters with a better GPA, or do I have a shot anywhere with this kind of a record? Thanks for reading, cheers!

You have a compelling story, so for schools who read applications carefully and look past the GPA, I would think you'd have a chance. My advice would to be to check out MDapplicants.com and search for people who got acceptances with similar stats to yours. There aren't a lot of them, but they definitely pop up. You may also want to include your ethnicity and/or some other factors when doing the search to make it more applicable to your situation.

An MDapplicants search could also help you to see which schools tend to be willing to accept students with your stats and could thus give you an idea as to where you might want to apply.

Good luck!

Could be troll ... I only say this because I think op's a definite with those stats!

If it's real though, you'd be a lock at many schools with a 41. The real question is where are you willing to go?

Doc.Holliday said:
Lol...couldn't have said it better myself. Seriously.

Doc.Holliday said:
well i was really addressing the rest of the posters who blindly bought in to your story. its very unbelievable, and the way that you openly give out details (girlfriend left you for the dealer?) that are not important to your case makes it even more fishy. If youre smart enough to get into hopkins and get a 41, youre smart enough to know your advisors are dumb asses and your being overly insecure. And really, if you arent capable of that realization, then you shouldnt bother trying to be a doctor IMO.

If you go to Hopkins or know anyone who does, PM me and I'll meet up with you/them and prove it. In fact, I'm even listed as a 4 year employee at my place of business (it is university affiliated and located directly on campus) and listed in my NMR lab group on the website as well.

I don't know what nerve I touched with you, but I have nothing to hide. And you say the premed advisors are *******es and I should know that...well, you understand that if we don't get a letter from the premed committee it is looked down upon, don't you? That's one thing Hopkins is known for. If you get a letter from the committee there is a 99% acceptance rate into at least one med school.

Finally, why would someone come onto a site and make up story like this? Including some of the details actually helped because people gave me advice to weave it into an honest PS. I have to wonder why you're such a cynic. But still, my offer is open, someone on this site must go to Hopkins. Also, you still don't believe me, do a google search for deaths at Cornell in Sept 2003 or a search for Hopkins deaths in Feb. of 2004. Sorry Doc.Holiday, nothing about my ex-fiance made the news.

SuzieQ3417 said:
Lol...couldn't have said it better myself. Seriously.
Uh huh. I bet if the OP's mcat was a 28, people wouldn't be so suspicious. A 41 and it's "troll!" :rolleyes:

lp2001db said:
If you go to Hopkins or know anyone who does, PM me and I'll meet up with you/them and prove it. In fact, I'm even listed as a 4 year employee at my place of business (it is university affiliated and located directly on campus) and listed in my NMR lab group on the website as well.

I don't know what nerve I touched with you, but I have nothing to hide. And you say the premed advisors are *******es and I should know that...well, you understand that if we don't get a letter from the premed committee it is looked down upon, don't you? That's one thing Hopkins is known for. If you get a letter from the committee there is a 99% acceptance rate into at least one med school.

Finally, why would someone come onto a site and make up story like this? Including some of the details actually helped because people gave me advice to weave it into an honest PS. I have to wonder why you're such a cynic. But still, my offer is open, someone on this site must go to Hopkins. Also, you still don't believe me, do a google search for deaths at Cornell in Sept 2003 or a search for Hopkins deaths in Feb. of 2004. Sorry Doc.Holiday, nothing about my ex-fiance made the news.
It's hard to believe that your advisors didn't show any sign of sympathy at such a heart-wrenching story. You should talk to them again. If they're human, then they should understand why you got those grades.

lp2001db said:
The lady I saw on the premed committee a week ago basically ripped me apart and told me it'd be a waste of my money.

:eek: i'm so sorry to hear. I can't believe that. You seem to be such a "sure thing". Hopkins and their "medical school acceptance rate" they love to brag about during every undergrad tour *shaking my head*. See another advisor. I'm sure there will be at least one that'll back you up. Start off the meeting highlighting the good (MCAT, ECs) to soften up the ugly.

Committee letter or not, you'll probably get in.

You should be a lock for an Ohio school and sorry for your loss...

Which adivisor did you see at JHU?

ti89 said:
Which adivisor did you see at JHU?

I saw Ms. Savage originally. A buddy of mine told me I should go back and set up an appointment with Mrs. McJunkins because she's much more empathetic and doesn't just have a minimum requirements list to go by. I also heard Dr. Kan has some pretty good insight because she used to be an Oncologist at JHU so she has some idea of what the whole process entails instead of simply screening applicants.

Savage tore into me pretty badly and said, and these are 100% serious. That I'd better be fine with being a D.O. cause M.D. isn't gonna happen. Also, that, I should eat less so I don't have to work as much to pay bills cause any time I spend working is time I should have spent volunteering. Did you like one of the others better? Would it really be worth it to go back and make an appointment with one of them?

lp2001db said:
I saw Ms. Savage originally. A buddy of mine told me I should go back and set up an appointment with Mrs. McJunkins because she's much more empathetic and doesn't just have a minimum requirements list to go by. I also heard Dr. Kan has some pretty good insight because she used to be an Oncologist at JHU so she has some idea of what the whole process entails instead of simply screening applicants.

Savage tore into me pretty badly and said, and these are 100% serious. That I'd better be fine with being a D.O. cause M.D. isn't gonna happen. Also, that, I should eat less so I don't have to work as much to pay bills cause any time I spend working is time I should have spent volunteering. Did you like one of the others better? Would it really be worth it to go back and make an appointment with one of them?

I don't really know I just have good friends at JHU and know that some of preprof advisors mean. If you feel ready apply. I think u'd get into medical school.

lp2001db said:
Savage tore into me pretty badly and said... I should eat less so I don't have to work as much to pay bills cause any time I spend working is time I should have spent volunteering.

OMG! :laugh: :eek: :laugh:

say it ain't so, I love Ms. Savage- she's great! maybe she doesn't know about your MCAT. Maybe she misheard. Maybe it was a bad day. I think you should try again with another advisor.

Your stats are fine and your story is compelling, you will succeed. Do not let any individual get in the way of your dreams. Pre-med advisors are worthless. Good luck, I'm sure your experiences will make you a more compassionate physician

Will Ferrell said:
OMG! :laugh: :eek: :laugh:

say it ain't so, I love Ms. Savage- she's great! maybe she doesn't know about your MCAT. Maybe she misheard. Maybe it was a bad day. I think you should try again with another advisor.

Oh...so you know Ms. Savage also? The worst part is, about 6 days later, she was making small talk with me in the Garland elevator acting like we were good friends or something. I've been told that she's not actually that mean, she just has a reputation to live up to. I don't know though...

lp2001db said:
Oh...so you know Ms. Savage also? The worst part is, about 6 days later, she was making small talk with me in the Garland elevator acting like we were good friends or something. I've been told that she's not actually that mean, she just has a reputation to live up to. I don't know though...

there is somebody on these boards that got accepted with a less-than-41 mcat (still pretty high though) and a 3.1-something gpa, if i remember correctly. you have nothing to worry about, besides fighting through the jhu premed committee. good letters really do count.

i cannot believe your advisor actually told you to EAT LESS. that is the simon-cowell-level lowness!!!

lp2001db said:

Yeah - Savage can be kinda rough. The purpose of that whole committee is to weed out the applicants so that Hopkins can brag about it's acceptance rate. I went to Hopkins and my fellow classmates that got into med school had a range from 3.2 to 3.7 GPA and decent MCATS. I think you will be fine - just take what Savage says with a grain of salt. Apply - and if you don't get in the first time, try again. Good luck!

I have to say bad pre-med advisors can ruin peoples lives. My freshman year at Cal my brother committed suicide - my GPA took a pretty serious hit C in Chem and D+ in Calc As in my two humanity classes. I didn't know it at the time but I was clinically depressed and couldn't muster the energy to study. Instead of recognition of what was going on my advisor told me I needed to find another major - there was absolutely no way I would get into Med School. This news basically put me into a tailspin. I had always wanted to go into medicine and now I had no clue what to do. I basically felt there wasn't much point in putting serious effort into school I'd graduate and figure our what do then. I went into business and did quite well but always regretted having let myself fall apart in college. Finally, after 10 years, I decided to just give it a try. I got in to several good (top 30 not top 20) schools with a 35R and 3.3 GPA. I only wish I had done it earlier!

So don't give up!

I'm surprised to hear that about Savage. She has been really helpful in giving advice during my application process. I think she's more realistic about a person's chances at getting into med school than Kan. Savage has been around for a long time so she knows pretty well which stats are competitive for which schools. However, I don't understand why she was so fixated on your GPA. The 41 MCAT and underlying circumstances more than make up for it. I have to agree with the other posters and say definitely go ahead with applying.

Note: I do see a point in Savage's advice about getting a volunteer position. But the eating less comment was way out of line.

lp2001db said:
I am wondering if I should even apply to med school now or save my money and get a masters then apply. Here's my situation:

I go to JHU and have a 3.25GPA and BCPM GPA in a very tough major. I got a 41P on my MCATs last april. I had a very bad soph and junior year. I was allowed to take under the minimum credits and still my grades suffered as you can see. One of my best friends from high school committed suicide at the beginning of my soph year, then my grandfather died about two months later (he was the person I was closest to my entire life). Then, start of my junior year, my fiance develops a huge drug problem, leaves me for a dealer, and took all the money I had saved up for the two of us and we've never spoken again. At the beginning of second semester, my former roommate committed suicide as well. I'd considered leaving school for a year to slow things down and get settled, but ended up staying so I could finish on time and not have to pay for a 5th year. This whole time I've been working about 20hrs/wk also. Now, I've saved up just about enough to apply to several schools and was wondering if it would be a complete waste of time.

I have, in addition to the 20hrs/wk work for the past 4 years and full time every summer, 1 year of NMR spec research, 1 year of clinical research at the med school, physician shadowing, and some LORs from docs and well as the usual from teachers. I'm an Ohio resident and would probably apply to mostly schools from Ohio so I won't have to go overboard on travelling costs. That would give me the most bang for my buck.

Do you guys think it's just a waste of time and money to apply now and I should hold off until I've got a masters with a better GPA, or do I have a shot anywhere with this kind of a record? Thanks for reading, cheers!

You should definitely apply to school if you feel that you are emotionally ready for it now. I know that you must be very put off by your pre-med advisor but she basically doesn't know what she's talking about. If you were a resident of a different state, she might have a point but you have an excellent shot of getting into several schools in ohio. I am also a resident of ohio applying with a sub 3.6 GPA and a lower MCAT than you and have multiple acceptances from schools in Ohio. Quite frankly, I think that the only thing that could ruin your chance is if you make too many excuses about your GPA in your application and/or interview. It's really not too bad and you have a stellar MCAT score to offset it. It draws unnecessary attention to your weaknesses and the admissions committee may question whether or not you are emotionally ready for medical school now. I think that you have an excellent chance of getting into MUO and Wright State and a good chance at UCinn and Case. Good Luck!!!

lp2001db said:

Sorry, I came across this posting a little late, but I just graduated from Hopkins and am going through the Hopkins committee thing. Definitely make an appointment with Dr. Kan. I have a hard time figuring out how consistent the advisors are with who they endorse, but there's nothing wrong with getting a second opinion. And they should definitely be more sympathetic to your situation. There have been a number of tragic deaths at Hopkins in the past 4-5 years -- you can't be the only premed who has been affected.

My GPA is also less-than-stellar, and I don't have your 41 MCAT score, but I'm applying this year. Hopkins is harsh with grades and picky about who they endorse for med school, but I think (hope) that adcoms know that -- you may have to be pushy, but you should definitely go for it :)

lp2001db said:

Yes, apply.

bubbleyum said:
there is somebody on these boards that got accepted with a less-than-41 mcat (still pretty high though) and a 3.1-something gpa, if i remember correctly. you have nothing to worry about, besides fighting through the jhu premed committee. good letters really do count.

i cannot believe your advisor actually told you to EAT LESS. that is the simon-cowell-level lowness!!!

I have a 36 and 2.95 BCPM...no one called me a troll, and I just got accepted to university of Missouri 3 weeks ago. OP, you should definitely apply, but don't be surprised if you don't get much attention from some schools who value GPA more than MCAT, or those who frown upon the stark discrepancy. When you're writing your PS though, make sure you don't come off as seeking pity. You have a compelling story to tell, but stay relevant in your PS-- it's supposed to address why you want to be a doctor, not why you didn't get high grades. Save most of your story for the interview. Good luck!

I think you should apply.

As far as the pre-med committee-
At the first university I attended, the pre-med advisor scared me during my first two years. He basically told us that you had to have a 3.85+ and 30+ MCAT with a minimum of 10 in each section in order to get an interview. I transferred to another university, and the new pre-med advisor always looked for the best parts of the application while giving advice on the areas that needed work. She was always encouraging. I was accepted even though my first advisor has left me with the feeling that I am not good enough. This feeling still stays with me.