Honesty,Truth and Accuracy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldpro

MS IV
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Honesty,Truth and Accuracy Are these possible in the premed world and in the Caribbean school world? Sometimes I'm at a loss I wasted 2 hours of my life the past 2 days posting the laws and rules for Tx and FL on VMD because missinformed premeds want to post that Caribbean students cannot practice in those states. It's so funny that it's not. took me 5 minutes each time to go to the state boards and read the laws and rules to get a lic in each of those states, it is not a requirement of these states for state approval of the school for Lic but it is tough to go through the review process in these states.

No Caribbean school is all 50 (WHAT!!!!!!!!! YOU SAY!!! But you post this all the time!) Let me explain the truth,

Yes we post all 50 for SGU,AUC,SABA and Ross but the truth is in some states these schools like all the rest of the Caribbean schools are Case by Case basis, this means that the board reserves the right to refuse Lic to any of these students, Now if You go to one of the Big 4 and get through and residency the chances of getting turned down is much much less then the rest of the schools (Like mine SJSM which is not Cali approved and have only a few Lic grads so it may be harder in some states) but the fact is it could happen (very small chance) Only LCME schools have an open door where if turned down the state will answer to them as well as you, 99.999999% of LCME Grads will be granted a Lic unless they are convicted of a felony or something. FMG's are different matter.

Fact: at this time the only state that will not Lic a FMG not on the state's list is California.
Fact: There are processes in the rest of the 49 states to admit FMG's to practice
Fact: There are states where it is super hard for a FMG to be approved
Examples: TX and Tenn,
Fact: Who you know can help, make friends!

Now the NY/FL/TX schools approvals, some will be singing about them here cause the school they go to have lied to them and confused them on the issues, you see the schools had to put some $$$ out to get these approvals and market, yes market these approvals to students, they say things like "We have NY approval so our grads can practice there" yes true but they either tell you outright or leave the impression that schools not approved grads cannot practice there, WRONG! I just told you and you can go and read the process for Lic in those states, what it means is this:
1. The school may have a easier time for it's grads to be Lic
2. The school can set up Core rotations in that state

Well thats it! Big deal? Yes to some and this is all about $$$

US schools want you here to Suck more $$$ out of you either in Medical school or Post Bac ( some will go back to school 2 years or more to get into a medical school in the USA, guess what a lot of the same medical schools who reject people are connected to Uni's who have, You got it, expensive Post bacs.)

Caribbean schools market to students "Come here we are "ACCREDITED"" well not by the LCME.

Advisors, they have it all wrong most of the time and suck at what they do.

So Welcome to the Mess

Advice:

If you are a young student
GPA below 2.8 MCAT below 20 then why do you want to spend thousands on something you may not be able to do? It costs around 150 to 250k to go to medical school. Take a look at your self and decide is this really me can I do better? If you can then work on it, if you do not want to work that hard then there is no such thing as an easy Medical School, the information is all the same and the USMLE is the same for everyone.

GOOD LUCK!

AFTER THIS POST WHEN YOU THINK OF WINDMILLS THINK OF ME LOL!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't Kansas or Oklahoma or one of those states have a rule about a school being at least 10 years old? In which case, none of the newer Carib schools will have grads allowed to practice there for another few years at least.

Doesn't Kansas or Oklahoma or one of those states have a rule about a school being at least 10 years old? In which case, none of the newer Carib schools will have grads allowed to practice there for another few years at least.
Yes but I think you are not "Barred for life" I think after 10 years you then can apply for Lic, plus what about Reciprocity? Cali I know is no, but the other states I thought it was always possible, too many a fixed on the first few years and the first Lic I worry about the rest of my life too. Thats part of what I'm talking about.

A lot of the crap posted about rules and laws is false and some of it plain marketing from the schools.