Honey cure...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Very nteresting stuff! Thanks for posting it...

A ton of great research comes from Wisconsin (ie WARFarin), so I'll be keeping an eye out for the publication of results on this.

Very interesting. We have a project using Vick's VapoRub on onychomycosis. So, it is always interesting to see alternative medicine put thorough EBM.

My biggest worry is that if the EBM doesn't stand up, now that this info is on the web we will have people trying it all of the time. They may not seek help until it is too late.

Also, Dr. Jennifer Eddy is a family practice doctor and I would hope that she was smart enough to send pedal ulcers to an infectious disease doctor or a podiatrist. I don't know one family practice physician that has OR rights, so without a pod consulting (F&A orthopods usually don't like ulcers) who is going to surgical debride the wound? It will either go to general surgery or ortho for an amputation; maybe that is why she has to use honey b/c she doesn't have the options that a pod would have to treat it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought it was kind of weird that the doctor wasn't a podiatrist. The gp MD/DOs in my area don't do that kind of care. They would rather send to a podiatrist, as they should. It will be interesting to see what the research concludes.

I take it this would be more medically acceptable than the good ol "just pee on your feet" athletes foot treatment?

Very interesting article find indeed. I actually am pleased to see that the medical community as well as the general public is exposed to the accuracy and credibility of herbalic/alternative medicine in this 'prescription-saturated' society we live in.

There is a reason for this: the antibacterial activity and the acidity of honey; as a means to treat ailments. As for its antimicrobial use, honey is composed of a strong mixture of fructose and glucose (around 84%) and water content is about ~15% of the weight and due to the strong interaction between the sugar and water elements; it leaves minimal growth for bacteria. And considering the 'free' water activity in standard honey is about 0.562 to 0.62 and considering bacterial growth depends on free water, bacterial growth are inhibitted by aw .5 to .6. However there are some bacteria that have been able to grow, but it depends on the species of bacteria. Another aspect of the success of honey is due to its acidic level; standard undiluted honey has a pH value of about ~3 and considering the minimal pH environment of some pathogens are: Escherichia coli, 4.3; Salmonella sp., 4.0; Pseudomonas aeruginosa, 4.4; Streptococcus pyogenes, 4.5, that means that growth of the said pathogen in indiluted honey of a low pH will be nullified.

So next time when someone tells you to stop eating honey, just tell them "not unless you want bacterial growth, you ungrateful S.O.B" LOL :laugh:. Okay, maybe you can emit the 'SOB' part. =P

Very interesting article find indeed. I actually am pleased to see that the medical community as well as the general public is exposed to the accuracy and credibility of herbalic/alternative medicine in this 'prescription-saturated' society we live in.

There is a reason for this: the antibacterial activity and the acidity of honey; as a means to treat ailments. As for its antimicrobial use, honey is composed of a strong mixture of fructose and glucose (around 84%) and water content is about ~15% of the weight and due to the strong interaction between the sugar and water elements; it leaves minimal growth for bacteria. And considering the 'free' water activity in standard honey is about 0.562 to 0.62 and considering bacterial growth depends on free water, bacterial growth are inhibitted by aw .5 to .6. However there are some bacteria that have been able to grow, but it depends on the species of bacteria. Another aspect of the success of honey is due to its acidic level; standard undiluted honey has a pH value of about ~3 and considering the minimal pH environment of some pathogens are: Escherichia coli, 4.3; Salmonella sp., 4.0; Pseudomonas aeruginosa, 4.4; Streptococcus pyogenes, 4.5, that means that growth of the said pathogen in indiluted honey of a low pH will be nullified.

So next time when someone tells you to stop eating honey, just tell them "not unless you want bacterial growth, you ungrateful S.O.B" LOL :laugh:. Okay, maybe you can emit the 'SOB' part. =P

I don't doubt it works. My concern is not seeking treatment. Honey cannot debride the fibrotic tissue that will prevent an ulcer from healing.

Honey was used by the ancient egyptians (I think). They put it on wounds and then let it dry. When you pull it off it debrides just like a wet to dry would.

I also do not doubt that honey works but it even said in the article that it was used after everything else failed. It will be interesting to see what they use as a control and what other methods they compare honey to and if they offload the ulcers?

I don't doubt it works. My concern is not seeking treatment. Honey cannot debride the fibrotic tissue that will prevent an ulcer from healing.

Of course. There is nothing compared to proper medical care for anything, however I am merely pointing out how I am satisfied in knowing that age-old home remedies such as the use of honey, garlic, ginger etc and other herbalic types are being legitimized medically (at least dissecting in the reasons for its success).

On that note, one good thing to take into consideration is 'eating more' garlic. LOL.Not only is it a good anti-coagulant and effective in containing high cholesterol, from my studies this year in lab, it is proven of garlic's profficiency as an inhibitor of bacerial growth.

One of those :Did You know: lol.

I guess the old saying "eat garlic cuz it keeps the vampires away" holds some kind of legitimacy (not that im condoning believing in such unfounded superstition) but based on the fact that garlic prevents bacterial(pathogenic) growth..well ..you can symbolize the vampire as bacteria..and there you go.

LOL...didnt even think about that. But yes..that too. :laugh:

Poop? Um no. It has been proven that honey has effective antibacteriaL capability as I explained in prior posts or if you want to check it out go to: jstor.com and search articles on it. I think the use of alternative medical care should be supported; per se eastern medicine and thet use of age old practices such as acupuncture and its derivatives. Second, it is my opinion and the view point and many have similar view points; if you dont like my view then dont read it or dont read any of our forums.

And I stand with my initial statement that our society is too inundated with prescription drugs.

You're both right as honey is antibacterial but not to the extent as something like triple antibiotic. Allopathic medicine is undoubtly effective but remember that every drug has a side effect. Natural medicines are worth looking into because often that side effect negates what good is done by the drug, if only for a small portion of the population. It can't hurt to have an alternate treatment for people allergic to the synthetic meds.

Good point, cat. As what robin williams said in Patch Adams, "I concur!"

Very interesting. We have a project using Vick's VapoRub on onychomycosis. So, it is always interesting to see alternative medicine put thorough EBM.

My biggest worry is that if the EBM doesn't stand up, now that this info is on the web we will have people trying it all of the time. They may not seek help until it is too late.

Agreed. Alternatives are nice, and medications are often made from natural products (i.e. opium), but it is a worry that people will just read things on the internet and then treat themselves (like my sister in law :laugh: (she is a tree hugger):laugh:

Typical. Get a few in vitro studies showing antibiotic activity of natural substances, then immediately assume that it has clinical significance. Why don't you wait for the outcome of the study that started this thread, before you extol the virtues of an unproven therapy?

I also agree that alternative medical care should be supported, once it has been shown to actually work. Unfortunately many "practitioners" do not feel that efficacy should be proven. CAM is happy to take peoples' money, and give them treatments that haven't been shown to work. In the rest of the world, this is called fraud.

And as far as "reading your forums", I read what I like, and respond when I like. Sorry you feel so threatened by people who disagree with you.

Just for fun, I thought I'd toss in a quote from Panda's most recent blog (from pandabearmd.com):

"Traditional Chinese Medicine (of which acupuncture is a prominent part) is so good that everybody lived long, healthy lives in ancient China before they had access to Western medicine.

Ha ha. No, not really. The chinese, like their European couterparts, until very recently had lifespans a fraction of what they are today and were cut down routinely by things that it took Western medicine to finally defeat. So that’s the rub. Acupuncture, as it predates the scientific method, is based on a metaphor of the body and health that has no association with reality. As soon as those wiley Chinese started using antibiotics…bam…diseases started being cured."

Excuse me?? Wiley Chinese? Being someone who has Chinese in the background, I find that not only racist, but filled with ignorance on the subject matter. The ancient confucian physicians actually had an established medical system thousands of years even before the concept of hygenics was generally accepted in Europe.

Just to clear your own ignorance on the matter (I apologize for the thread starter, but I will get back to the said subject matter after this post.)

+++
What is Chinese Medicine?
Chinese herbal medicine is one of the great herbal systems of the world, with an unbroken tradition going back to the 3rd century BC. Yet throughout its history it has continually developed in response to changing clinical conditions, and has been sustained by research into every aspect of its use. This process continues today with the development of modern medical diagnostic techniques and knowledge.

Because of its systematic approach and clinical effectiveness it has for centuries had a very great influence on the theory and practice of medicine in the East, and more recently has grown rapidly in popularity in the West. It still forms a major part of healthcare provision in China, and is provided in state hospitals alongside western medicine.

Chinese medicine includes all oriental traditions emerging from Southeast Asia that have their origins in China. Practitioners may work within a tradition that comes from Japan, Vietnam, Taiwan or Korea. It is a complete medical system that is capable of treating a very wide range of conditions. It includes herbal therapy, acupuncture, dietary therapy, and exercises in breathing and movement (tai chi and qi gong). Some or several of these may be employed in the course of treatment

Chinese herbal medicine, along with the other components of Chinese medicine, is based on the concepts of Yin and Yang. It aims to understand and treat the many ways in which the fundamental balance and harmony between the two may be undermined and the ways in which a person's Qi or vitality may be depleted or blocked. Clinical strategies are based upon diagnosis of patterns of signs and symptoms that reflect an imbalance.

However, the tradition as a whole places great emphasis on lifestyle management in order to prevent disease before it occurs. Chinese medicine recognizes that health is more than just the absence of disease and it has a unique capacity to maintain and enhance our capacity for well being and happiness.

Herbal Medicine and Modern Pharmacology
There is a growing body of research which indicates that traditional uses of plant remedies and the known pharmacological activity of plant constituents often coincide. However, herbal medicine is distinct from medicine based on pharmaceutical drugs. Firstly, because of the complexity of plant materials it is far more balanced than medicine based on isolated active ingredients and is far less likely to cause side-effects. Secondly, because herbs are typically prescribed in combination, the different components of a formulae balance each other, and they undergo a mutual synergy which increases efficacy and enhances safety. Thirdly, herbal medicine seeks primarily to correct internal imbalances rather than to treat symptoms alone, and therapeutic intervention is designed to encourage this self-healing process.

What can Chinese Medicine treat?
Chinese medicine is successfully used for a very wide range of conditions. Among the more commonly treated disorders are:

Skin disease, including eczema, psoriasis, acne, rosacea, urticaria

Gastro-intestinal disorders, including irritable bowel syndrome, chronic constipation, ulcerative colitis

Gynaecological conditions, including pre-menstrual syndrome and dysmenorrhoea, endometriosis, infertility

Hepatitis and HIV: some promising results have been obtained for treatment of Hepatitis C, and supportive treatment may be beneficial in the case of HIV

Chronic fatigue syndromes, whether with a background of viral infection or in other situations

Respiratory conditions, including asthma, bronchitis, and chronic coughs, allergic and perennial rhinitis and sinusitis

Rheumatological conditions (e.g. osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis)

Urinary conditions including chronic cystitis
Diabetes, including treatment and prevention
Psychological problems (e.g. depression, anxiety)
Are herbs safe?
Chinese herbal medicines are very safe when prescribed correctly by a properly trained practitioner. Over the centuries doctors have compiled detailed information about the pharmacopoiea and placed great emphasis on the protection of the patient. Allergic type reactions are rare, and will cause no lasting damage if treatment is stopped as soon as symptoms appear.

Articles About Chinese Medicine
Eastern Promise -- Traditional Chinese Medicine gains popularity in the West (Economist, Nov. 5, 1998) Top 25 Supplements in the United States in 2004:
1. Policosanol6. Liver11. Pau d'arco16. Potassium21. 5-HTP 2. Bone Meal7. Lutein 12. Coenzyme Q1017. Elderberry22. Magnesium3. Wheat Germ8. Green tea13. SAM-e18. Horny goat weed23. Calcium4. Lycopene 9. Black cohosh root14. Royal Jelly19. Spirulina24. Cranberry5. Essential Fatty Acids 10. Silicea15. Alpha-Lipoic Acid20. Chlorophyll25. Evening primrose
http://chinese-school.netfirms.com/Chinese-medicine.html

READ MORE ABOUT IT. Its over 4,000 year old.
http://www.cmjournal.org/

Another major concern I have about honey is the presence of spore forming bacteria (which is a majority of the bacteria that grows in honey). I don't care about botulism or anthrax, what I'm worried about is Clostridium perfringens which causes myofascial necrosis aka gas gengrene. A fast moving gas forming necrosis, that is a major medical emergency. This would not be good in a diabetic foot.