You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
China and Eastern Asia hong kong medical licensing exam
Started by doc92
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hi. I am also taking it. I reviewed the archives from this post and some people have taken it already and passed. I emailed them to ask for help but maybe they are busy doing their internship right now. I am just going over the reviewers I have, even though I was advised to study the textbooks medical students in HKU use. The system is British, so it is entirely different from the American system Filipinos are exposed to. The passing rate is 5-9%, and I was told by someone who took it three times to expect to fail. But I will still take it and just do my best, even if I have very little time for the prep. How are you reviewing? Are you in HOngKong right now?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's good you postponed so you can study more. You have to prepare as if your career will depend on it. Somebody who took it last year and passed the exam on professional knowledge used the Kaplan reviewers. He/she passed the USMLE Step 1 and 2 and the HKMLE exam on professional knowledge but did not pass the clinical examination. He/she said his/her batchmates used the Oxford series but I do not know where you can buy those.
I am not sure about this but if you're Filipino, I have a feeling we have to do an extra mile because of prejudice. In the exam, there was only one reference to a race, and it wasn't even essential to the case. The case was a "Filipina domestic helper with STD". As if STDs are unique among Filipina domestic helpers. I read somewhere in one site that indeed, discrimination happens in HongKong. Hong Kong society favor Cantonese-speaking Chinese and Caucasians but discriminate against "colored races". Examples given in that site who felt discriminated against were mainland Chinese (who spoke Mandarin), Filipinos, and those from India.
If you pass the exam on professional knowledge, you will have to hurdle the clinical exam well (perform more than expected). When you go into internship, not knowing Cantonese might be a problem so this is a good opportunity for you to learn Cantonese as well. When you start your practice in HongKong, expect your patients to be mostly Filipinos who will be very appreciative of your care since they do not get the same level of thoroughness and care from HongKong doctors.
Good luck!
I am not sure about this but if you're Filipino, I have a feeling we have to do an extra mile because of prejudice. In the exam, there was only one reference to a race, and it wasn't even essential to the case. The case was a "Filipina domestic helper with STD". As if STDs are unique among Filipina domestic helpers. I read somewhere in one site that indeed, discrimination happens in HongKong. Hong Kong society favor Cantonese-speaking Chinese and Caucasians but discriminate against "colored races". Examples given in that site who felt discriminated against were mainland Chinese (who spoke Mandarin), Filipinos, and those from India.
If you pass the exam on professional knowledge, you will have to hurdle the clinical exam well (perform more than expected). When you go into internship, not knowing Cantonese might be a problem so this is a good opportunity for you to learn Cantonese as well. When you start your practice in HongKong, expect your patients to be mostly Filipinos who will be very appreciative of your care since they do not get the same level of thoroughness and care from HongKong doctors.
Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. I know I really have to put extra effort to get thru these. But then, there's no harm in trying. You're right, I can see descrimination here. By the way, where are you from?It's good you postponed so you can study more. You have to prepare as if your career will depend on it. Somebody who took it last year and passed the exam on professional knowledge used the Kaplan reviewers. He/she passed the USMLE Step 1 and 2 and the HKMLE exam on professional knowledge but did not pass the clinical examination. He/she said his/her batchmates used the Oxford series but I do not know where you can buy those.
I am not sure about this but if you're Filipino, I have a feeling we have to do an extra mile because of prejudice. In the exam, there was only one reference to a race, and it wasn't even essential to the case. The case was a "Filipina domestic helper with STD". As if STDs are unique among Filipina domestic helpers. I read somewhere in one site that indeed, discrimination happens in HongKong. Hong Kong society favor Cantonese-speaking Chinese and Caucasians but discriminate against "colored races". Examples given in that site who felt discriminated against were mainland Chinese (who spoke Mandarin), Filipinos, and those from India.
If you pass the exam on professional knowledge, you will have to hurdle the clinical exam well (perform more than expected). When you go into internship, not knowing Cantonese might be a problem so this is a good opportunity for you to learn Cantonese as well. When you start your practice in HongKong, expect your patients to be mostly Filipinos who will be very appreciative of your care since they do not get the same level of thoroughness and care from HongKong doctors.
Good luck!
Thank you for all the input. Anyone knows of weblink to official websites in HK regarding HKMLE and licensing.
How is the clinical exam structured i.e. stations or oral exam, as well as clinical knowledge...are they all multiple choices, matching, etc...
Anyone plans to do residency in USA and practice in HK 😀
Thank you.
How is the clinical exam structured i.e. stations or oral exam, as well as clinical knowledge...are they all multiple choices, matching, etc...
Anyone plans to do residency in USA and practice in HK 😀
Thank you.
hi, i am new to this forum and i want to know how to be a doctor in hong kong, i am a filipino although im also interested, i have a friend who is taiwanese born but already an american citizen. he applied for clerkship at chinese university of hongkong but they havn't replied yet. He did that so he can stay there for a few months and find out more about being a hk doctor.
1. does he have to finish until internship (5th year) here in the philippines or can he do his internship in hong kong?
2. does hong kong provide review centers for hkmle?
3. If I am a filipino and i want to do some of my clerkship rotations in hong kong, what advices can you give me?
thanks so much. really thankful for ur forum. i am so clueless.
1. does he have to finish until internship (5th year) here in the philippines or can he do his internship in hong kong?
2. does hong kong provide review centers for hkmle?
3. If I am a filipino and i want to do some of my clerkship rotations in hong kong, what advices can you give me?
thanks so much. really thankful for ur forum. i am so clueless.
After passing HKMLE , we can practice only in Hong Kong or also in china ?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a US pediatrician who took and passed the written exam for the HKMLE in 2009 but I only passed two of the four clinical exams later that year. I was planning on taking the clinical exams again this year but we are moving back to the US later this month, so it will have to wait.
In the meantime, I am selling the books I used to study. They were all purchased new from McBarron's in 2009 and I am selling them super cheap. There are some markings in them, but I am a very neat person so they are otherwise in new condition. If you are interested or know anyone who might be, please let me know.
Below is a list with HKD prices. Thanks and best of luck with your studies!
x Carol
Part I
Part III (Clinical)
In the meantime, I am selling the books I used to study. They were all purchased new from McBarron's in 2009 and I am selling them super cheap. There are some markings in them, but I am a very neat person so they are otherwise in new condition. If you are interested or know anyone who might be, please let me know.
Below is a list with HKD prices. Thanks and best of luck with your studies!
x Carol
Part I
- Essential Revision Notes for MRCP Third Edition (Pastest) - $200
- Essential Revision Notes in Surgery for Medical Students (Pastest) - $100
- Essential Revision Notes for Part 2 MRCOG (Pastest) - $100
Part III (Clinical)
- OSCEs for MRCOG Part 2, A Self-Assessment Guide (A. Hollingworth, J. Rymer) - $100
- Short Cases, History Taking and Communication Skills for the Paediatric Membership Second Edition (Pastest) - $100
- Surgical Finals: Passing the Clinical Second Edition (Pastest) - $100
- Clinical Cases and OSCEs in Surgery (Elsevier - M. Ramachandran, A. Poole) - $100
- Practice OSCEs in Obstetrics and Gynaecology (Elsevier G. Weston, B. Vollenhoven, J. McNeilage) - $100
Hi mrsbigleapI am a US pediatrician who took and passed the written exam for the HKMLE in 2009 but I only passed two of the four clinical exams later that year. I was planning on taking the clinical exams again this year but we are moving back to the US later this month, so it will have to wait.
In the meantime, I am selling the books I used to study. They were all purchased new from McBarron's in 2009 and I am selling them super cheap. There are some markings in them, but I am a very neat person so they are otherwise in new condition. If you are interested or know anyone who might be, please let me know.
Below is a list with HKD prices. Thanks and best of luck with your studies!
x Carol
Part I
Part III (Clinical)
- Essential Revision Notes for MRCP Third Edition (Pastest) - $200
- Essential Revision Notes in Surgery for Medical Students (Pastest) - $100
- Essential Revision Notes for Part 2 MRCOG (Pastest) - $100
- OSCEs for MRCOG Part 2, A Self-Assessment Guide (A. Hollingworth, J. Rymer) - $100
- Short Cases, History Taking and Communication Skills for the Paediatric Membership Second Edition (Pastest) - $100
- Surgical Finals: Passing the Clinical Second Edition (Pastest) - $100
- Clinical Cases and OSCEs in Surgery (Elsevier - M. Ramachandran, A. Poole) - $100
- Practice OSCEs in Obstetrics and Gynaecology (Elsevier G. Weston, B. Vollenhoven, J. McNeilage) - $100
I am interested in buying the books. are they still on sale or am I too late?
Hi everyone
I am planning to take HKMLE in 2012, and have already started preparing for it. However, I am in the united states right now and cannot find anyone here who is taking the exam. I do firmly believe that having a study group or even a study partner is a great resource.This is my second attempt on the exam, and I do know where I was wrong the first time, including trying to do it all by myself!😳. If there is anyone out there in the same boat as I am, please reply.
regards,
Paint.
I am planning to take HKMLE in 2012, and have already started preparing for it. However, I am in the united states right now and cannot find anyone here who is taking the exam. I do firmly believe that having a study group or even a study partner is a great resource.This is my second attempt on the exam, and I do know where I was wrong the first time, including trying to do it all by myself!😳. If there is anyone out there in the same boat as I am, please reply.
regards,
Paint.
Hi everyone
I am planning to take HKMLE in 2012, and have already started preparing for it. However, I am in the united states right now and cannot find anyone here who is taking the exam. I do firmly believe that having a study group or even a study partner is a great resource.This is my second attempt on the exam, and I do know where I was wrong the first time, including trying to do it all by myself!😳. If there is anyone out there in the same boat as I am, please reply.
regards,
Paint.
Hi Paint,
I am also planning to take HKMLE in 2012, I'm doing my internship right now in Soochow University, China. Which year of medical college are you now? Are you a US citizen?
Hi everyone, I am planning on taking the HKMLE in 2012. I am a US med school grad, currently in an internship in the US. If anyone is in a similar situation, or has any experience with this I would love to get in touch. Thanks.
Does anyone know the passing rate for the HKMLE? It was quoted as 5-9% in an earlier post. can anyone confirm? This seems awfully low for an exam where passing requires answering 50% of questions correctly.
Does anyone know the passing rate for the HKMLE? It was quoted as 5-9% in an earlier post. can anyone confirm? This seems awfully low for an exam where passing requires answering 50% of questions correctly.
Hi Purplemountains
well, it is correct, the passing rate for hkmle is around 8 to 10%, I know, its depressing, could be because of the negative marking, .25 marks are deduced for every wrong answer, thats why we have to know what we know really well, questions are tricky.
Well,we have to do what we have to do,lets get going. I am currently following the advice of momofuku and others on the archive of this thread and doing medicine from mrcp q books, anyone doing the same?people wanting to discusstough questions or topics are most welcome.
well, it is correct, the passing rate for hkmle is around 8 to 10%, I know, its depressing, could be because of the negative marking, .25 marks are deduced for every wrong answer, thats why we have to know what we know really well, questions are tricky.
Well,we have to do what we have to do,lets get going. I am currently following the advice of momofuku and others on the archive of this thread and doing medicine from mrcp q books, anyone doing the same?people wanting to discusstough questions or topics are most welcome.
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
hi every one,, i m preparing for hkmle 2012 from the oxford books,,,currently i m doing my house job,,,,,,,,,,,any one intrested in hkmle 2012..plz reply ...........
What is momofuku advice? Where can I find it?
Hi Purplemountains
well, it is correct, the passing rate for hkmle is around 8 to 10%, I know, its depressing, could be because of the negative marking, .25 marks are deduced for every wrong answer, thats why we have to know what we know really well, questions are tricky.
Well,we have to do what we have to do,lets get going. I am currently following the advice of momofuku and others on the archive of this thread and doing medicine from mrcp q books, anyone doing the same?people wanting to discusstough questions or topics are most welcome.
hey , i m a medical student in guangzhou , i m not sure whether u r in the group preparing for HKMLE if not , try to apply . QQ group account108565049Hi Paint,
I am also planning to take HKMLE in 2012, I'm doing my internship right now in Soochow University, China. Which year of medical college are you now? Are you a US citizen?
hey , i m a medical student in guangzhou china, i m not sure whether u r in the group preparing for HKMLE if not , try to apply . QQ group account108565049(for chinese)Hi everyone, I am planning on taking the HKMLE in 2012. I am a US med school grad, currently in an internship in the US. If anyone is in a similar situation, or has any experience with this I would love to get in touch. Thanks.
Does anyone know the passing rate for the HKMLE? It was quoted as 5-9% in an earlier post. can anyone confirm? This seems awfully low for an exam where passing requires answering 50% of questions correctly.
.hey , i m a medical student in guangzhou china, i m not sure whether u r in the group preparing for HKMLE if not , try to apply . QQ group account108565049(for chinese)
Hi, dr. Shamir here my family is relocating to HK this month and currently Iam doing fellowship in diagnostic radiology year 2 in Pakistan I want to continue my training and apply for FRCR can is it possible to get residency without passing hkmle I had already cleared step 1 & 2 of usmle wud it give me benifit? And I will be living in CULININAN anyone preparing for hkmle in this area ?
.
Hi, dr. Shamir here my family is relocating to HK this month and currently Iam doing fellowship in diagnostic radiology year 2 in Pakistan I want to continue my training and apply for FRCR can is it possible to get residency without passing hkmle I had already cleared step 1 & 2 of usmle wud it give me benifit? And I will be living in CULININAN anyone preparing for hkmle in this area ?
sorry to inform u it seems no benefits for anybody if u want to sit 4 hkmle, and residency ,as far as i know, is only permitted to these passing both part 1 and part 2 of it.
all the best!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hi,,,i m preparing for hkmle,,,,its my 1st attempt,,,,,,,,so plz can u guide me about exam question and related books,,,,becaz i dont know about the specific books......plz reply ,,i m w8ing ,,,
I am preparing for the HKMLE and have passed USMLE step 1 and 2. did you make you registration yet? LoveaHi everyone
I am planning to take HKMLE in 2012, and have already started preparing for it. However, I am in the united states right now and cannot find anyone here who is taking the exam. I do firmly believe that having a study group or even a study partner is a great resource.This is my second attempt on the exam, and I do know where I was wrong the first time, including trying to do it all by myself!😳. If there is anyone out there in the same boat as I am, please reply.
regards,
Paint.
Last edited:
😍
I am preparing for the HKMLE and have passed USMLE step 1 and 2. did you make you registration yet? Lovea
I am in USA and going to take the HKMLE 2012 as my family has recently relocated in HK, if anyone interested in study together, please send me an email at [email protected]. thanks,
Is anyone interested in studing HKMLE together for the 2012 exam? please email me [email protected] or by skype lovea83, thanks,
hello friends!
I am new here, recently settled down in hong kong. i am planning to take HKMLE next year. so, i am looking for a study partner here, as for USMLE also i had a study partner. I am not aware of how to prepare for this exam. I really need help from you guys. looking forward to hear from you soon. take care
I am new here, recently settled down in hong kong. i am planning to take HKMLE next year. so, i am looking for a study partner here, as for USMLE also i had a study partner. I am not aware of how to prepare for this exam. I really need help from you guys. looking forward to hear from you soon. take care
I am a 4th year full-time med student interested to obtain HK medical license eventually in the future. I will be starting internship next year as a first year resident. Here's my question with regard to the eligibility for taking the HKMLE:
On the site, it states that "...at the time of the application he has satisfactorily completed not less than 5 years full time medical training of a type approved by the Council...full time in nature throughout 5 years....includes a period of full time internship resident in a hospital."
My question is: Does the 4 year of US medical school education count as part of the full time medical training?
I would really appreciate if anyone knew the answer to this. Thanks in advance..
On the site, it states that "...at the time of the application he has satisfactorily completed not less than 5 years full time medical training of a type approved by the Council...full time in nature throughout 5 years....includes a period of full time internship resident in a hospital."
My question is: Does the 4 year of US medical school education count as part of the full time medical training?
I would really appreciate if anyone knew the answer to this. Thanks in advance..
Hi I'm interested to know if you took the hkmle because I'm also planning to take it 2015 I'm currently doing my internship 4th yr med school in Cebu...i would also like to know since on mchk website states that not less than 5 years of Med school but we are only 4 years including internship are we still eligible to take hkmle it would be great help if u could helphello! anybody here going to take the HKMLE?Any filipino doctor going to take it this year?just want to know how are you preparing?😕
Hi...may I ask if you took the hkmle with 4 years of med school...it would be great help if you could answer since I'm planning to take it next year 2015 I'm currently 4th yr med student in Philippines...hope to hear from you soonhi, i am new to this forum and i want to know how to be a doctor in hong kong, i am a filipino although im also interested, i have a friend who is taiwanese born but already an american citizen. he applied for clerkship at chinese university of hongkong but they havn't replied yet. He did that so he can stay there for a few months and find out more about being a hk doctor.
1. does he have to finish until internship (5th year) here in the philippines or can he do his internship in hong kong?
2. does hong kong provide review centers for hkmle?
3. If I am a filipino and i want to do some of my clerkship rotations in hong kong, what advices can you give me?
thanks so much. really thankful for ur forum. i am so clueless.
Hello,
I plan on taking the part 1 of the HKMLE this fall. Does anyone know what's a good review to study for this exam? I'm a Canadian Resident in Family Medicine. I am more then happy to study with somebody if you are interested. Feel free to contact me at [email protected]
I plan on taking the part 1 of the HKMLE this fall. Does anyone know what's a good review to study for this exam? I'm a Canadian Resident in Family Medicine. I am more then happy to study with somebody if you are interested. Feel free to contact me at [email protected]
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Have any of you guys gotten some info regarding exam prep and resources? If So Please DM meHello everyone! I'm From India. MD Obs & Gynae. Shifted to Hongkong one month back. Want to take HKMKE. second sitting 2018. Need some guidance how to get through this and is there anyone preparing for the same. Would be of immense help. Thank you
Thanks!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 994
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 5K