"Honor code violation" box on AADSAS application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buddha123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, this is a sensitive topic, I know, but I would like frank feedback, no criticism please. I have read a lot on SDN and I think this is the best tool for any pre-health professional, so once again, please keep it clean ...

Ill make this as short as I can

Heres the deal: For one of my classes, lets call it Math, our final assignment was a project to solve a problem, but it required a lot of time and knowledge collected from the past semester. I was bogged down with a lot of other finals (microbio, biochem, histology, all that good stuff, and I was teaching on the weekend fulltime), so I emailed a "mathematician" online and asked for his help. The mathematician informed my prof that I was cheating, and then my prof wanted to expell me (hes very anal about cheating). Anyway, I decided to leave without following through with the hearing and all, and I transferred to another univesity, and finished my degree there.

dont ask me why i left and didnt follow through, basically he was determined to fail me and expell me, he wanted to make an example out of me to other students, he told me straight to my face...so dont ask or criticize or lecture, just simple advice please...

The problem: as a result of leaving the university, my transcript has has an "Incomplete" for the class, and there is a tiny notation at the top of the transcript saying "Academic integrity - ###-###-#### (phone number)

SO what do i do? on the application, should I say "yes" or "no" to the questions asking about any violation to the honor code? i wasnt found guilty b/c i didnt follow through with the hearing...?

your help is much appreciated...thanks again in advance

Members don't see this ad.

buddha123 said:
Alright, this is a sensitive topic, I know, but I would like frank feedback, no criticism please. I have read a lot on SDN and I think this is the best tool for any pre-health professional, so once again, please keep it clean ...

Heres the deal: For one of my classes, lets call it Math, our final assignment was a project to solve a problem, but it required a lot of time and knowledge collected from the past semester. I was bogged down with a lot of other finals (microbio, biochem, histology, all that good stuff, and I was teaching on the weekend fulltime), so I emailed a "mathematician" online and asked for his help. The mathematician informed my prof that I was cheating, and then my prof wanted to expell me (hes very anal about cheating). Anyway, I decided to leave without following through with the hearing and all, and I transferred to another univesity, and finished my degree there.

dont ask me why i left and didnt follow through, basically he was determined to fail me and expell me, he wanted to make an example out of me to other students, he told me straight to my face...so dont ask or criticize or lecture, just simple advice please...

The problem: as a result of leaving the university, my transcript has has an "Incomplete" for the class, and there is a tiny notation at the top of the transcript saying "Academic integrity - ###-###-#### (phone number)

SO what do i do? on the application, should I say "yes" or "no" to the questions asking about any violation to the honor code? i wasnt found guilty b/c i didnt follow through with the hearing...?

I would check yes, on the application, and explain it somewhere in your personal statement. It will serve you well to be honest upront and then offer a detailed explanation during your interviews. The schools will see your transcript anyway, so by not checking the yes on the box, they'll automatically think you were trying to hide it. Good luck

^^what blackstars said.

you've gotta be very careful with this sort of stuff, and because your transcript blatantly states "incomplete due to academic integrity" ...well, that doesn't look too good. for you to blow if off and answer "no," the admins will right away zero in on that part of your transcript. they will definitely call the old school to find out (and methinks the old school will not respond positively), and then will think you skipped bail and then tried to hide it.

so don't give them the reason to call your old school and ask. just state "yes" but DO mention that the investigation and trial was never completed...that should put your case in a more positive light, a partial guilty-but-maybe-not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Integity of any sort is a HUGE part of the application, especially since this is an application to a professional career. I was told by my academic advisor that any violation had to be reported; even if you had an over-due library book! It is better for you to tell them, then for them to figure out on their own, and wonder how much other stuff you aren't telling them.

You should definitely check 'yes' and explain your situation. It will leave a negative impression of you if some of the dental schools do follow up on it after viewing your transcript and call your school and you didn't mention this anywhere in your application. To be able to explain the situation will allow the dental school to see your point of view as well, not just the from the school in question.

Yea I would report it and let the chips fall where the may. Just be sure to explain it well, and don't try to make too many excuses. Ya fooked up and now ya know better. Its not like you were a slacker trying to beat the system, but rather an over worked Student seeking help.(still not an excuse,but).

Professors can be quite rabid when it comes to cheaters. I've seen some of the nicest professors turn quite monstrous when they suspect cheating.

Remember kids its just not worth it.

better for you to be the one providing the info on your mistakes than having the adcoms questioning an administration that still has an unresolved beef with you. Integrity begins now. mark yes!!!

Well.. i say check yes or you'll get blacklisted from all dental schools.. but.. remember that either way.. you're chances are significantly reduced because of that blemish.. not to be discouraging.. but i'd recommend looking for backup jobs that don't look at your transcript in the meantime.. that way.. if you get into dental school.. great.. if you don't.. you'll be fine too

specialK38 said:
Integity of any sort is a HUGE part of the application, especially since this is an application to a professional career. I was told by my academic advisor that any violation had to be reported; even if you had an over-due library book! It is better for you to tell them, then for them to figure out on their own, and wonder how much other stuff you aren't telling them.

over-due book? you're a freakin *****..

thanks a lot for all your help...I was leaning towards checking "yes" but the reason I have doubts is because 2 years ago i applied to St. George and Ross up in the islands, and they both accepted me, and I answered "no" , but then again, they are carribean schools....

i was thinking, according to thier question, technically, the answer is "no" because I havent been dismissed, expelled, or any action for that matter, but the reason i got an "I" is cuz this issue hasnt been resolved...but it doesnt say "incomeplte due to violation" it just says incomplete next to the class...so when it comes down to interviews...they'll ask me "what is this notation on ure transcript" and that is when ill tell them...if they dont care to know, they wont ask, right?

i am just worried this might bring unnecessary attention from the get go, and they wont even look at my app, but if i say no and explain myself in the interview, ill be straight??
anway...maybe im just trying to convince myself otherwise....

xSTALLiONx said:
over-due book? you're a freakin *****..

Well from the context, it looks like the advisor is the freakin *****, not specialK.

Sorry buddah 123, there is no way to get around it. It's already documented in your permanent record and the dental committees will notice it. I think you should explain your situation in your personal statement.

buddha123 said:

Don't hide it, chances are they'll find out one way or another, better coming from you that not. I would try to alleviate the circumstance by explaining (I think there's a box where you can explain the violation....or in your personal statement) that after the violation, you have learnt a big lesson, it was an event that helped re-shape your character etc etc and you've come out to be a much better person after the mistake (hopefully you truly have :) ). If you approach it the right way, the adcom may look at it in a better light, remember, excuses will get you nowhere, explanations are a better option however, not having to resort to either of them is the best option possible.

my UG GPA is sucky and I intend on explaining my lack of focus and direction versus 'that grade was bad because i had a cold'....or 'my gf left me and i was depressed'....use that as an example to better your app (just don't apply to the schools im applying to ;) .....my chances diminish with every additional app :rolleyes: )!!!!

im on the academic honesty panel at uga...and the transcript notation lasts up to 2 years...if you are applying to dental school soon i would suggest you contact the provost or academic appeals and they might be able to help you out.

It actualls says "academic integrity charge PENDING"....so u think they'll still take it off even if its "pending"....thanks

like everyone says here, be upfront ans honest about it. even though after you are accepted, they still do background check on you. i don't know if its random or if its everybody, but i know of a person who got expelled from dental school after school has already started, because the school found out that this person purposely did not include their transcript from a previous institution.

you are in a tough situation, the "pending" statement on your transcript might do you more harm than good. you must need to come up with a good explantion why you wasn't man enough to face the hearing, and instead you bailed out and attended another university. im sure you lhave earned from your mistake, but you must prove to the adcom why do deserve the spot over the rest of the candidates that they can pick from. good luck

mhl397 said:
im on the academic honesty panel at uga...and the transcript notation lasts up to 2 years...if you are applying to dental school soon i would suggest you contact the provost or academic appeals and they might be able to help you out.
I heard the same thing from someone working within the administration.

But do find out if "pending" would disappear after two years.

Call them up and wait until it disappears and then apply.

Or apply this year and just be honest upfront but no excuses.

definitely check the box and then try to explain yourself. i hate to discourage you but getting accepted will be an uphill battle since it looks like you cheated and then bolted. the worst thing that can happen is you get rejected across the board -- but if dentistry is truly your thing, pick yourself up and reapply!

Its not over for you. I had a violation myself, although it wasn't really academic it was termed an honor code violation. Mine involved distrubution of copyrighted software via FTP. Anyway I checked the box and explained myself. It never came up in any of my interviews and I was accepted everywhere I applied. But if it does come up in an interview. Admit it, be as direct as possible, state the case, don't whine AT ALL, and say it was a past mistake and you don't look back but you have learned from the sitiuation. Thats what life is about, no one is perfect.