Honoring 3rd year rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kgizzle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Y'all,

did a search and wasn't able to find too much info on my question. How does one go about honoring a rotation? I know that there is a shelf exam that you take after each rotation and you also get graded by whoever you preceptor. Are both grades weighed equally? Is it school dependent? Also, how do y'all approach studying for the shelf exams?

Members don't see this ad.

Completely school dependent. My school 100% of the grade is your shelf exam. You'd have to check with the school to find out.

I study differently based on the subject. One I just used Case files and UWorld. IM I just used UWorld and Step Up as a reference. It'll vary from shelf to shelf, but generally I use UWorld + a resource book that is good for the subject. Have done pretty well overall thus far.

Hey Y'all,

did a search and wasn't able to find too much info on my question. How does one go about honoring a rotation? I know that there is a shelf exam that you take after each rotation and you also get graded by whoever you preceptor. Are both grades weighed equally? Is it school dependent? Also, how do y'all approach studying for the shelf exams?
It is school dependent. The components that go into a grade and their weight vary and so does the final cutoff as to who honors (top 15% vs top 25% etc). There is also variability with regard to the actual grades you can get. For example, my school doesn't have HP. Just H, P, F with a pretty high cutoff for honors. Even within a school there can be significant variability of the above factors. I have had a rotation where the shelf was worth much more and one rotation that is notoriously easy had a much higher threshold for honoring.

I have honored all but one rotation and I think the key is to try and smash the shelf. The shelf is usually a large part of the grade and studying hard will make you seem more competent on rounds. Sprinkle this in with the standard "don't be late, be interested, dont be rude" advice and you should be well on your way.

What happened on the rotation I didn't honor? I smashed the shelf but got average evals largely because I couldn't force an interest in standing in surgery watching the back of a residents head. My fault. I couldn't muster the energy to play the game and suck up. I'd take every chance to leave early and skip out on an extra surgery towards the end of the day. Looking back it was within my control to also honor that rotation.

I only use UW and whatever supplemental resource that SDN or my peers recommend. I keep it simple and learn everything in UW and that resources as well as I can. I never use UTD to study. I only use it to make presentations or quickly look up something that I have never heard of. So I guess I have probably passively absorbed or reinforced things from UTD, but it is not something I use when I go home to study.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It is school dependent. The components that go into a grade and their weight vary and so does the final cutoff as to who honors (top 15% vs top 25% etc). There is also variability with regard to the actual grades you can get. For example, my school doesn't have HP. Just H, P, F with a pretty high cutoff for honors. Even within a school there can be significant variability of the above factors. I have had a rotation where the shelf was worth much more and one rotation that is notoriously easy had a much higher threshold for honoring.

I have honored all but one rotation and I think the key is to try and smash the shelf. The shelf is usually a large part of the grade and studying hard will make you seem more competent on rounds. Sprinkle this in with the standard "don't be late, be interested, dont be rude" advice and you should be well on your way.

What happened on the rotation I didn't honor? I smashed the shelf but got average evals largely because I couldn't force an interest in standing in surgery watching the back of a residents head. My fault. I couldn't muster the energy to play the game and suck up. I'd take every chance to leave early and skip out on an extra surgery towards the end of the day. Looking back it was within my control to also honor that rotation.

I only use UW and whatever supplemental resource that SDN or my peers recommend. I keep it simple and learn everything in UW and that resources as well as I can. I never use UTD to study. I only use it to make presentations or quickly look up something that I have never heard of. So I guess I have probably passively absorbed or reinforced things from UTD, but it is not something I use when I go home to study.
So then a typical day for a 3rd year is rotation+studying? How many hours did you put in after you got home?

So then a typical day for a 3rd year is rotation+studying? How many hours did you put in after you got home?
At the start of MS3 I put in more work and studied an hour every night, but I would say that on my past two rotations I have not studied nightly. I think I am getting away with it because the knowledge really builds on itself and I did well on Step 1. I've posted before that I believe ~80% of shelf questions could be answered with Step 1 knowledge. I recently took an OBGYN shelf and got lots of questions from surgery. On my pediatrics shelf I got quite a few questions from neuro. It is all connected and overlapping which makes things exponentially as the year progresses.

The disclaimer here is that I study a lot on the weekends or my day off on 6 days/week rotations. I don't really have hobbies, so I am content to study for 8 hours on a Sunday to make up for taking it easy during the week. For me, the fastest way to burn out was studying nightly. I'd rather have relaxed evenings M-Saturday than a completely free Sunday. I crashed really hard in my third rotation trying to study during the week.

I should note that I am also really good at identifying what is likely to be tested vs. what is not. It is very useful in terms of getting a good shelf score, but I fear it is leaving me with serious deficits in my clinical knowledge. In retrospect, I think I would do things differently. I am starting to realize that the information I learn from here on out isn't about acing an exam, it is about treating people and not killing them in the process.

Reactions: 9 users
At the start of MS3 I put in more work and studied an hour every night, but I would say that on my past two rotations I have not studied nightly. I think I am getting away with it because the knowledge really builds on itself and I did well on Step 1. I've posted before that I believe ~80% of shelf questions could be answered with Step 1 knowledge. I recently took an OBGYN shelf and got lots of questions from surgery. On my pediatrics shelf I got quite a few questions from neuro. It is all connected and overlapping which makes things exponentially as the year progresses.

The disclaimer here is that I study a lot on the weekends or my day off on 6 days/week rotations. I don't really have hobbies, so I am content to study for 8 hours on a Sunday to make up for taking it easy during the week. For me, the fastest way to burn out was studying nightly. I'd rather have relaxed evenings M-Saturday than a completely free Sunday. I crashed really hard in my third rotation trying to study during the week.

I should note that I am also really good at identifying what is likely to be tested vs. what is not. It is very useful in terms of getting a good shelf score, but I fear it is leaving me with serious deficits in my clinical knowledge. In retrospect, I think I would do things differently. I am starting to realize that the information I learn from here on out isn't about acing an exam, it is about treating people and not killing them in the process.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions

Reactions: 1 users
At my school the top 7 % get H. The system is complete bull****

At my school the top 7 % get H. The system is complete bull****

Sounds about right. My school was top 5-10%. It varied by rotation.

The schools that had a honors to 20 to 40% of their students are ridiculous. Honors isn't a participation trophy. It is a score or honor reserved for the highest achievers. I understand that it is a bit arbitrary where you draw the line in the sand, but 10% sounds very reasonable. When you get above 20%, you're getting into "everyone deserves to feel good about themselves" territory.

Reactions: 3 users

Thanks for posting. Can you expand on why you believe 80% of questions can be answered via Step 1 knowledge? Is it basically the same material and questions?

Thanks for posting. Can you expand on why you believe 80% of questions can be answered via Step 1 knowledge? Is it basically the same material and questions?

I will let him expand upon the idea (especially since he is closer to the shelf exams than I am), but I definitely found that knocking M1/M2/Step I out of the park greatly contributed to my continued success in M3 and beyond. My very first shelf exam was for Peds, and I recall feeling like it was sitting for another Step I exam, but focused only on kids. Many of the questions were answerable directly from information learned and retained in the first two years and/or stressed in Step I review material.

I will say that I tended to be more of a "bust your ass and learn everything, not just the high yield stuff" kind of person, which was very time consuming in the preclinical years. And thinking back, it's difficult (if not impossible) to separate "Step I stuff" from "non Step I stuff." It's possible that what helped me in my shelf exams was more the overall strong understanding of pathophysiology, pharmacology, etc.

Either way, it made killing the shelf exams much easier.

Basically.

Often it is exactly the same material and type of question. Questions like "a patient presents with macroorchidism and mental ******ation." or "a young girl comes to you because she hasn't started her period. you hear a heart murmur and she is short with a webbed neck" or "grape like masses falling out of a vagina" or "patient has ataxia with a high glucose and his brother died of a heart problem" or "the patient has recurrent infections and high IgM, what is the defect" or "ate hamburger at a picnic and now bloody urine" or "periorbital edema in a young kid with 4+ protein in urine" and then they ask for either the diagnosis or some other non-treatment thing like the pathophys or everyones favorite, the up down arrows. These are all the types of concepts tested in the UW Step 2 bank that were also hit hard in the Step 1 bank. The MS3 shelves also like all of this stuff.

Those are obviously clear cut examples, but even some of the "next step" treatment or diagnosis questions are basically Step 1 material. I think the hardest questions are the things about management of boring stuff like a stuffy nose or cough. The easy stuff is the weird stuff. For example, I know to give hydroxyurea in sickle cell because it increases HbF. Luckily shelves like weird/rare stuff.

I just noticed that your status says Medical Student (Accepted). If you have not started medical school please do not waste another moment worrying about this. And if you haven't started MS3 please don't waste another moment worrying about this and instead study hard for Step 1. As username456789 pointed out, success on Step 1 is the gift that keeps on giving.

Last edited:
You have heard that a nonfunctional gag reflex is a necessity toward honoring your rotations. Is it true?

Reactions: 2 users

The schools that had a honors to 20 to 40% of their students are ridiculous. Honors isn't a participation trophy. It is a score or honor reserved for the highest achievers. I understand that it is a bit arbitrary where you draw the line in the sand, but 10% sounds very reasonable. When you get above 20%, you're getting into "everyone deserves to feel good about themselves" territory.

Would agree if your grade was determined objectively. But I've seen people honor by being buddy buddy and doing **** work

Members don't see this ad :)
Would agree if your grade was determined objectively. But I've seen people honor by being buddy buddy and doing **** work

The solution is not to dilute the meaning further. The solution (which is obviously a herculean task) is to restructure the way grading is done, somehow.

Agree, the vast majority of the students shouldn't get honors, and that's normal. Most people applying to residencies have 0-1 honors grade. If honors were handed out like candy, it isn't deemed important anymore. Honestly, I think pass/fail is the mainstay and it should be up to the student to take ownership of their education. No one cares that some little kid got honors in everything. Someone does care that they are taking advantage of their training to be good at their job.

Honors should be NBME/shelf only. It's the only fair way to assign honors; faculty and residents for the most part should be stripped of grading power through evals. Evals will be just for our "personal development." Now how awesome does that sound?!!

Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys sorry for not having anything to do with this forum but i was wondering if any1 could tell me how to post my own forum for questions i want people to chyme in on

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I tend to agree with what you are saying...

1) But what about the fact that some schools throw out honors like candy; wouldn't this put the students at stricter honors cutoff schools at a disadvantage? I doubt every program director sits there and reads the grading breakdown in the MSPE.
2) What about if a school has only Pass or Honors like above? You could be right under the honors cutoff but not have a "HP" to show for it.
3) And what about the huge discrepancies/subjectivity in the clinical grading scheme? It's well known that certain professors or away locations for clerkships at my school give higher grades automatically regardless of performance. Everyone tries to shoot for those in the clerkship lottery. For surgery, people who placed at an away hospital have honors rates of 25%, wheras if you get stuck with the malignant personalities at my home university hospital, about 5-8% get honors. There were a few avg students with avg step 1 scores who honored half their rotations because they got insanely lucky in the lottery getting all the lenient grading places that also simultaneously had the fewest clinical hours (giving them more shelf study time as well). They arn't bashful about admitting it either.

Last edited:
I am curious to know in which schools it is super easy to get honors

If I could go back in time I would tell younger me to pick the other more expensive school that supposedly hands out honors like candy and hit my current school with the hard reject. Knowing I was graded "appropriately" and ""fairly"" (note the double quotes seriously implying doubt) will amount to a hill of beans when slackers get ranked higher than me because of the status quo at their school.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! Thanks for your informative responses. I was wondering if/how you use Anki in 3rd year- i.e. did you add cards from those supplemental resources/UW to your decks?

Hi! Thanks for your informative responses. I was wondering if/how you use Anki in 3rd year- i.e. did you add cards from those supplemental resources/UW to your decks?

Anki was a great resource in 3rd year as it allows for easy studying on the wards when you have inevitable downtime. Plus it allows for daily, effective studying without getting burned out. I made my own decks 1st and 2nd year but in third year with standardized shelf exams you can find decks online that will teach you without having to take the time to make the decks. It's not the end all of studying, but it gives you a good start towards the shelf and the inevitable pumping. It also helps if you don't delete the decks when it comes to step 2 studying.

Hey Y'all,

Really. So many SDN'ers have written guides and some stickied threads in the Clinical Rotations section would definitely cover a lot of this.

Last edited:
Hey Y'all,

This is highly variable.

In terms of how to do to it, at my school, per rotation, we have a clinical commendation and a academic commendation. Score 85% or higher in evaluations which consist of residencies/attendings rating you 1-5 in 12 competencies and you receive clinical commendation. Score above the set point each course director sets (usually 0.5-1 SD above mean) on the shelf and receive academic commendation. Achieve both and that's honors. Some rotations have more to do like for Surgery there's an Oral Exam and Written exam which comes to play. Sometimes, there are also assignments you have to do and if done well (happened to a friend) they'll bump you up if you're close in some areas, but otherwise will just be completion.

In terms of advice, for the shelf there are so many threads on SDN/Reddit that outline the main consensus for the materials and they're pretty good. I would say daily studying trumps cramming. Honoring shelfs is not easy but not super difficult either and Step 1 isn't necessarily the best predictor so have confidence in yourself. Everyone will have different opinions on shelf difficulties based on personality and order. I personally thought IM was not bad and that FM was the easiest and that OB was the hardest. Others disagreed.

For achieving clinical commendations, this is super subjective. For some of the nicer residents, just be a good person to work with (common sense like no complaining, don't interrupt them, etc.). With most residents/attendings you should also know your **** so you appear knowledgeable when pimped which comes from daily study, and before each Clerkship starts I would say come up with a way to organize your patient presentation. This requires you to figure out what's pertinent to ask for the patient population you're about to examine (GPs for OB, milestones in kids, etc.) and also importantly what order it is presented in because whether it's fair or not, organization is the most common criticism in med student presentations. Some will say this is overkill/a waste of time, but on more than one occasion this has helped me make a solid first impression which reflected in my eval. That's about all I can think of that's worth doing.

A quick note that may be common sense but is still frequently done:

Take criticism humbly! When you work hard to do all the above and your resident/attending doles out constructive criticism that you know is wrong or that you don't agree with, it's sometimes hard to resist a little "yeah I said that at the beginning" when the attending tells you you missed something or "I thought it was like X because we learnt this in lecture" but just learn to keep your mouth shut to preserve your likability and because there's a good chance that there's some element of truth to what they're saying even if they're technically wrong. For example, if the attending didn't hear the PMH maybe your organization needs to be changed (hint in IM, it's right after their name and chief complaint as opposed to after HPI and ROS). I have never seen disagreeing with your resident having a positive impact and don't do it unless it's potentially immediately about to harm a patient as in the resident grabbed the blatantly wrong drug to administer. Even something you think you know from Step 1 like a medicine contraindication can be discussed as an aside later with the pharmacist/resident while rounding because you'll find Clinical Medicine often differs from Exam Medicine for many reasons.

Last edited:

Tends to be the higher ranked schools.

The lower tier schools do the stupid 5-10% honor rule. It's dumb. Especially since more prestigious residencies may only interview people from lower tier if they honored the particular rotation, which is why you may see no more than 1 student matched at a particular prestigious place from a lower tier institution.

Honors should be NBME/shelf only. It's the only fair way to assign honors; faculty and residents for the most part should be stripped of grading power through evals. Evals will be just for our "personal development." Now how awesome does that sound?!!

There definitely still needs to be some assurance that you're learning the clinical aspects. For example, some dweeb at my school according to our Neuro course director skipped the entire Neuro rotation since it was so segmented and scored just above honors on the shelf before he was caught and had to repeat the rotation (people have been expelled from medical school for much less). I think he even got a few evals before someone finally spoke and said they didn't know the person. The perfect system in my opinion is that the shelf should serve as the honor and then look at the subjective factors to look for any red flags. Then an OSCE of some sort should be done to ensure the student knows the standards elements of the H&P for that field. The strictness of how that should be graded can be up for debate but it should play some role whether it be looking for red-flags or whether you need to achieve an honors score on it.

The lower tier schools do the stupid 5-10% honor rule. It's dumb. Especially since more prestigious residencies may only interview people from lower tier if they honored the particular rotation, which is why you may see no more than 1 student matched at a particular prestigious place from a lower tier institution.

I went to a highly ranked school that did 5-10%. Honors is not something that is supposed to be just given out to a ton of students who do pretty well. It is.....an honor.

This silly "30% of students get honors" garbage is laughable. Completely diluted the meaning or point. Smacks of participation trophies.

I have never liked the idea of x% get honors, an A, AOA, etc. It forces a bell curve distribution onto a group that may not fit a bell curve. There are appreciable differences between the classes at my med school (even faculty recognize that some classes are more friendly or studious than others) so it is unfair to say only top 5% of the class gets honors. Say top 5% is the top 5 students. If one class performs better academically, the student ranked 6th might miss out on honors while if they were a year ahead/behind, they would've made the cut. This also means that an honors in surgery at this school means different things from year to year based on how competitive that particular year is.

I think it is more appropriate to have a set standard of what is honors versus pass with the idea that the entire class could theoretically get honors if they performed at the honors level (in which case it is time to up the standards of what constitutes honors!).

Your observation is correct. Lower ranked schools purposely stratify their students so that those at the top look better to residency programs (particularly "brand-name" programs that would look nice to have on their match list).

"patient has ataxia with a high glucose and his brother died of a heart problem"

What's the dx for this? Friederick's ataxia or Werrnicke-Korsakoff? Not sure of the link b/t the high glucose and the ataxia/heart issue.

I have never liked the idea of x% get honors, an A, AOA, etc. It forces a bell curve distribution onto a group that may not fit a bell curve. There are appreciable differences between the classes at my med school (even faculty recognize that some classes are more friendly or studious than others) so it is unfair to say only top 5% of the class gets honors. Say top 5% is the top 5 students. If one class performs better academically, the student ranked 6th might miss out on honors while if they were a year ahead/behind, they would've made the cut. This also means that an honors in surgery at this school means different things from year to year based on how competitive that particular year is.

I think it is more appropriate to have a set standard of what is honors versus pass with the idea that the entire class could theoretically get honors if they performed at the honors level (in which case it is time to up the standards of what constitutes honors!).

that's how it's done at my school. 25-30% of the class gets honors on most rotations (barring surgery).

that's how it's done at my school. 25-30% of the class gets honors on most rotations (barring surgery).

I really think it's the best way instead of having a fixed number of students. It allows some flexibility without unnecessarily penalizing high-performing students. My school is the same, even with AOA. Some years it's 17 students, some years it's a little over 20.

While true, unfortunately most residency PDs don't really pay that much attention to the distributions so schools that are super stingy with Hs generally just hurt their non H students.

So it's not so much about the school protecting its students' feelings, it's about the school trying to beef up its match list.

While true, unfortunately most residency PDs don't really pay that much attention to the distributions so schools that are super stingy with Hs generally just hurt their non H students.

So it's not so much about the school protecting its students' feelings, it's about the school trying to beef up its match list.

It's an idiotic arms race. It's the same reason a "C" in high school (or college) is no longer considered average. Everyone is the best, at all times.

Really. So many SDN'ers have written guides and some stickied threads in the Clinical Rotations section would definitely cover a lot of this.
Oh I think it was med students only search should have done entire SDN

Oh I think it was med students only search should have done entire SDN

If you go back to med student forums there's a whole forum for clinical rotations :)

Anki was a great resource in 3rd year as it allows for easy studying on the wards when you have inevitable downtime. Plus it allows for daily, effective studying without getting burned out. I made my own decks 1st and 2nd year but in third year with standardized shelf exams you can find decks online that will teach you without having to take the time to make the decks. It's not the end all of studying, but it gives you a good start towards the shelf and the inevitable pumping. It also helps if you don't delete the decks when it comes to step 2 studying.
Thanks! Question--what is the etiquette regarding studying on wards though? i.e. if I'm on my phone/ipad during downtime to study cards, is this okay, or does it look like I'm goofing off?

I don't recommend studying on your phone- it would be perceived as texting (even if you're in fact studying). I've seen many people use their Ipads for studying during downtime and I've never seen it be an issue.

Thanks! Question--what is the etiquette regarding studying on wards though? i.e. if I'm on my phone/ipad during downtime to study cards, is this okay, or does it look like I'm goofing off?

I don't recommend studying on your phone- it would be perceived as texting (even if you're in fact studying). I've seen many people use their Ipads for studying during downtime and I've never seen it be an issue.

safest bet will always be paper references

safest bet will always be paper references

Fourth year, not a resident, but I agree. Paper text (Case Files should fit in your white coat pocket) > tablet > phone.

And just communicate, make sure it's actually downtime, and never act like you're busy studying and don't want to participate with your team.

There also are inherent differences between average caliber of students at different schools - I don't have personal experience with different medical schools, but I know that the caliber of the students went up greatly when I transferred from a small liberal arts to an Ivy League school. People complained about grade inflation, but honestly 80% of the kids at my second school would have been getting A's at the first school. And almost everybody I'm with now at medical school is significantly brighter than most of my previous classmates.

Your clinical grade will be determined by the residents and attendings that you work with. Show initiative, read about the specialty ahead of time and ask the students who rotated there ahead of you what to expect. For Surgery, read Surgical Recall before going to any procedure, for Ob/Gyn check out the podcast Pimped to get an idea of what to expect and for any of the surgery based specialties be ready to be pimped a lot! Either study for it or get some pimping resources like Pimped-A Medical Flashcard App.