honors in 3rd year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zoomzoomzoom

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I was wondering how necessary it is to get honors in third year if one wishes to match derm? I know that it obviously helps, but if one were to get the next grade down from honors in every rotation, would that shut one out?

I go to an average school where I got almost all honors the first 2 years and >240 on Step I but so far this year I can't seem to honor any of my rotations and I'm on my third one now. I have a really strong knowledge base but since the shelf exams don't count at my school, the fact that I've scored >90 on both exams doesn't help me at all. I'd like some honest feedback so I don't waste a lot of effort doing research and applying if I'm SOL. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in nearly the same exact boat as you. shelves are worth squat and reviews are always good but not stellar. My knowledge base is strong but i just don't shine on the wards. such is life.

I know of people who scored in the 230s and matched derm without a single derm pub. I would say you should still go for it. Try to honor your remaining rotations (I know this is a mildly insane statement when it's such a subjective process, but basically, i'm just saying keep your head up), and then do some research. apply to every derm program in the country and you should have a decent shot. you're not out of the running by any means.

Keep in mind that the peope who post on SDN (on average) are not a good measure of the average applicant. Most people don't have 15 interviews.

I'm with you guys too. Great scores in classes and boards.... bunch of high passes in clinical years. Hopefully research time and recommendations fill in the gaps. Sometimes I think we assume we are screwed if one little application piece is out of whack. I know I do. Nothing like extra pressure on myself to make me more neurotic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, seems like your heading toward the DERMATOLOGY field and is currently occupied in Medical School

I was wondering what is honors? IS that a course like gifted, AP, honors program?

What was your SAT score in highschool?

what was your MCAT score?

what was your number of AP classes?

what was your GPA?

I know i may sound intrusive; however i want to match myself up to you guys since being accepted to Medical Schools is harder than being accepted to Universities and is a notable achievement.

thanks

too early to worry if you're premed

wayy too early if you're in high school

"IT IS NEVER TO EARLY!"

what that said above so please TELL ME!!! O highly venerable upperclass man!

I know what Im going to DO

Dermatology with MOHs with a side practice in plastic surgery (I know a dermatologist that makes +1mil a year and he does all the above)

"IT IS NEVER TO EARLY!"

Dermatology with MOHs with a side practice in plastic surgery (I know a dermatologist that makes +1mil a year and he does all the above)

:laugh:

I'd lead with that at your med school interviews.

Oh my god I have to change my underwear.

:laugh:

"IT IS NEVER TO EARLY!"

This is too much to take...please tell me you're a troll...

Hey guys, seems like your heading toward the DERMATOLOGY field and is currently occupied in Medical School

I was wondering what is honors? IS that a course like gifted, AP, honors program?

What was your SAT score in highschool?

what was your MCAT score?

what was your number of AP classes?

what was your GPA?

I know i may sound intrusive; however i want to match myself up to you guys since being accepted to Medical Schools is harder than being accepted to Universities and is a notable achievement.

thanks

wowwww....

Well, some rotations are more important than others for Derm. So if you didn't honor OB/GYN or even Surgery many programs don't really care.

That said, our PD basically told us that if he sees an app where someone didn't honor their derm and IM rotations that person is pretty much disqualified from their program just because they can afford to be picky when it comes to residents and there's no real reason for them not to just look at people who honored those rotations.

Still, if you have strong research or take a year or two off to go do research then apply everywhere, you can probably still get in somewhere so long as you haven't actually flunked a rotation or done something equally horrible.

Kinda sucks though since a lot of whether you honor some rotations is just plain luck (rotation lottery, resident you happen to get, etc.)