1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

honours?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by boss123, Mar 29, 2007.

1. boss123

I know ultimately your grades will determine if you get into d-school or not... but i was jus wondering if your considered a better canditate or ranked higher if you do an honours degree ?

Currently I'm in an "honours degree program" (thru faculity of Med. at my Uni) but its so much harder than doing a reg BioSci degree (based on my personal experience from taking reg. BioSci courses)... so im thinking of switching... any suggestions?? does doing you undergrad in faculity of Med mean anything?

thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. toothfairy85

toothfairy85 Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I think ultimately the grades you receive in your classes is what is going to matter most, whether you do honors or not. If someone does honors and makes B's and C's and someone who does non-honors makes A's and B's, the non-honors student wins. I am saying this based on what happens at my University. The students in the honors college at my University take all the same classes that I do, except for a few seminars and a thesis. I don't know how different the curriculum is or how much more difficult it is, but I would say that if you have any doubt as to whether you can make good grades in the honors program, then don't. A question you have to ask yourself is "Is the honors program going to prepare you for dental school more than a non-honors program?" If so, that would be the only reason I would consider it.

4. dmd2011

dmd2011 Random Hero

Dental Student
    i agree... most honors programs just include a thesis and some "honors" classes that when it comes down to it, are just the same as the non-honors version. its probably better to skip the thesis and just worry about your classwork.

5. SugarNaCl

SugarNaCl Dental Student
    Moderator Emeritus

Dentist
    CANADIAN ALERT! CANADIAN ALERT! eh?

6. jackbauer!

jackbauer! Guest

Dental Student
    i have an honors degree (with thesis) and have NO acceptances!...

i can only imagine honors helping your application, but i don't think it's going to put your app. on the top of the pile either.

if you can handle the coursework & thesis then go for it!... jb!:)