Hope? Please Give Advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredentist2177

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.0 oGPA 2.82 BCP 2.78 sGPA (with my spring grades calculated)

I would like to start of by saying that I was disqualified/kicked out from the school I previously went to due to having 1.23 GPA overall for the 1 year I attended that school. This is not an excuse and I know I take full responsibility for my grades but during that time, I went through the hardest time that I ever been through. The people who raised me and played huge role in my life, my grandmother (going through heart surgery) and my aunt (breast cancer) were very ill. I was traveling 8 hours back and forth from school on the weekends to see them. Eventually later that school year they both ended up passing away. My mind went blank... Ended up in a very dark place... Couldn't drop the courses because I was under military money from my dad benefits. The clauses to get the money and to pay for the private school(50k) was to get a grade from all my classes and I had too finish out my classes or else I would end up with a huge debt. After this incident I was kicked out and decided to join the US. Airforce as a Guard Member and my job was a Dental Assist. The Airforce really brought me out of the dark place and I ended up going back to school but this time to a public university and ever since that incident my grades have been on an upward trend. Expected to get a 4.0 (5 science classes) this spring and got a 3.5 gpa last fall. My life dream was to become a Dentist and I will not ever give up on that dream. Shadowed at multiple dentists (endo,general,ortho,pediatric) 100+ hours +works as a dental assist in the Airforce. Going to dental mission trip to Guatemala this summer before application. I am planning on taking the DAT this summer and have been studying for a while now praying to get a 21+. What are my chances at dental school for this upcoming cycle hypothetically if I get a 21+ on DAT's? Thanks guys! Please message me if you are going through any family illness or went through any family tragedies I can give advice from my experiences and would love to talk.

Members don't see this ad.

How many more credits do you have left? If not many, you should look into doing an SMP or post-bacc work to raise your GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the comment above. You have obviously been through a lot, and I commend you for fighting through and making it this far (also, thank you for your service). I would say aim for that 21+ DAT and do an SMP to bring your GPA up a bit.