Hope This Helps...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimmcauliffe

Surfer Chum
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My name is Kim and I'm fairly new to this board. I'd like to say hello to all the other non-trads out there and how comforting it is that we're all in pretty much the same boat (finances, families, work, ect.).

One common thing I've seen is that a lot of us are worried about finances to some point for school. I am recently separated from the US Air Force, and if there's any other military members out there, you can relate possibly to how the GI Bill helps, but doesn't cover all expenses. Even though we get a nice chunk of change every month we're in school, I am finding that I'm still having to come out of pocket for school.

With that said... I was recently referred to AMSA.org (American Medical Student Association). Not only does AMSA help out medical students, but they help out pre-meds as well. I paid a $30 fee for a one-year membership and now have access to deals from Barnes and Noble (definitely helps out for MCAT study guides!!), Geico, dental and health insurance, and various travel expenses such as rental cars and hotels. Every cent counts, so these discounts are definitely much appreciated. There's a whole slew of discounts that you get with your membership, not to mention amazing volunteer opportunities around the world and many conferences held annually. AMSA is student-run, which is another plus.

Forgive me if anyone has posted this before- but I hope this helps others of you out there who, like me, need to make every penny count.

Kim

Members don't see this ad.

Just a quick sidenote- I'm not a salesperson!! I realize that it sounds like an advertising pitch, but I honestly just want to help people in the same boat as me.

Ay, mate - thanks! I got one of those frequent flyer mile cards, but I could do the discounts and the miles... mmm
:D
Caboose.