Hopeless someone please help me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmdreza

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have been lurking for quite sometime- anywho I will get to the point and finally post my main concerns. I have been wokring towards my bachelors to get into dental school- however I have had really mediocre grades in the core prereqs for dental school. I am ashamed of my performance, and feel that with each quarter my motivation is dying a little more because I feel like I am hopeless. I feel like since I have messed up my record so bad- there is no point in trying. I know that if there is a will then there is a way- so now my question is with an extremely low GPA (I am 1year away from graduating with my bio. degree) what can I do? I don't have the choice of applying to master's programs outside of the state I am at- and this further complicates the matter. I am considering applying to hygiene school- and then after graduating trying to pursue this path again. Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hysteria24

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If being a dentist is what you want to do I wouldn't recommend the hygiene school route. This would just delay you from reaching your goal.

The only thing to do is improve that low GPA you speak of, and then score well on the DAT.

Put some work into finding a master's or post-bac program nearby. You could also stay a fifth year in undergrad if that's the only way to continue taking the coursework you need.

oclor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are really serious and want nothing else, then I say forget about the past and look to the future. Try to get a 4.0 in your last year and study your ass off for the DAT and get a very good score. Then you can tell the D-schools how you saw the light and that your last year proves how much you want to be a dentist and that you are capable of succeeding in D-school.

I know you probably are thinking "Well even if I get a 4.0 my cum GPA still won't be very high". But you have to realize that they look at progress. Good luck.

Jem27

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, I'm a firm believer in never letting go of your dreams. If becoming a dentist is what you want, go for it. I decided to shape up in the middle of the fall semester of my senior year. That was some bleak times; I had a ~2.9ish GPA with an even cruddier sciGPA. I ended up taking a 5th year of undergrad, took the DATs with better than avg scores and long story short, I got in to my top choice. It's easy to type "long story short" on a forum but it took 2 years of busting my butt. However, in the grand scheme of things, 2 years is really nothing to get into dental school and be able to practice the profession of my choice.

Secondly, it's important to understand the odds you're facing. When I finally decided to focus on school, I was able to do it without having to worry about working to pay for rent, school, family, etc. So be sure to factor those things in if applicable.

I agree with what was already said, progress and a trend of improvement are key. There was a post about the many Cs, Ds, Fs and Ws students have gotten. I posted in that thread too. A lot of those kids have gotten in somewhere. (Of course, stellar DAT scores help tremendously)

I'd urge you to start setting goals for yourself. Make sure you're ready to throw yourself into this. As Super-C, another poster, said once, go big or go home. When I was studying, I really took that to heart. Not saying you have to do the same but I think it's important to find something that'll get you going and keep you going. That little phrase did that for me.

Oh during my studies, I stopped checking sdn. It can be a huge time-sink.