Horrible interview vent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCATISEZ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess it’s happened to many of us. So I’m creating a thread for anyone that wants to vent post interview when the day didn’t go as they planned. It might be funny to some too ;)

I had a really terrible interview recently. I misunderstood one question and my interviewer blatantly typed “fail” in my front of me (because I did not answer the question I’m presuming). He asked me one more time afterwards more clearly and he seemed happy with my answer. Feels awful. I’ve gotten waitlisted 3x so far and waiting to hear from a couple of my in state schools. Argh this is so frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I guess it’s happened to many of us. So I’m creating a thread for anyone that wants to vent post interview when the day didn’t go as they planned. It might be funny to some too ;)

I had a really terrible interview recently. I misunderstood one question and my interviewer blatantly typed “fail” in my front of me (because I did not answer the question I’m presuming). He asked me one more time afterwards more clearly and he seemed happy with my answer. Feels awful. I’ve gotten waitlisted 3x so far and waiting to hear from a couple of my in state schools. Argh this is so frustrating.

One interview down; on to the next one!!! Do not look back.

Reactions: 4 users

Yea you just got to learn from it and move on. It's like missing a field goal in football, you can't let it get in your head or else it will affect your performance next time. I had a lackluster interview this cycle too and it stings for a bit, just focus on the long term goal of getting in somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
One interview down; on to the next one!!! Do not look back.

Thanks Goro :) it is a marathon indeed. Wish there was a next one - but we shall see... but this is my last after several. How do we start to better cope with failure?

Even better question is... (in your words) how does one gain the extreme virtue that is patience!?! We live in a world of instant gratification!!

Don't worry about it.

If a school can't see you for the person you are. Then they are not the school that is going to support you to become the person you are going to be.

Was that cheesy? Yes. But you gotta feel supported by your school. No doubt about it.

I've had some pretty bad, cringe-worthy interviews so far. So far, the outcomes have been 2 WLs and 1 rejection. I've been frustrated, especially since I've been working so hard to improve my public speaking skills this past gap year, yet still coming up short.

You will get at it!! I know it’s frustrating to be so close but short. Hopefully the waitlist treats us both well. Keep in mind it’s hard to know your performance on an interview. I’ve been fortunate to have one acceptance where my interview felt really weak and have gotten waitlisted (3 times now!) where I have felt it was really weak. Hang in there (although I have no clue how one does that!!!!)

Good luck:)

Congratulations on the acceptance. Have y'all ever gotten any practice interviewing? If necessary get a coach or go to your schools career services center where they hold mock interviews. Look at Goro's guide to interviews. Make sure you know what you want to get across during the interview about your application. What makes you unique, your strengths, what you bring to a school. Sell yourself! Interviewing is something I feel that most premeds overlook and don't always prepare for like we do with classes or the MCAT. I apply next cycle. Must be stressful sometimes. I'm worried some about it myself. But just remember they brought you to the interview because they envision you being at their school! You have already impressed them.

Congratulations on the acceptance. Have y'all ever gotten any practice interviewing? If necessary get a coach or go to your schools career services center where they hold mock interviews. Look at Goro's guide to interviews. Make sure you know what you want to get across during the interview about your application. What makes you unique, your strengths, what you bring to a school. Sell yourself! Interviewing is something I feel that most premeds overlook and don't always prepare for like we do with classes or the MCAT. I apply next cycle. Must be stressful sometimes. I'm worried some about it myself. But just remember they brought you to the interview because they envision you being at their school! You have already impressed them.

I did do all of that (well... everything but get a coach). I don’t find it comparable to the MCAT or classes though. The level of preparation isn’t the same. It seems much more subjective/situational and much harder to prepare for.

I did do all of that (well... everything but get a coach). I don’t find it comparable to the MCAT or classes though. The level of preparation isn’t the same. It seems much more subjective/situational and much harder to prepare for.

I can agree with that. Its a different kind of preparation.

oooooh I have 2 really bad experiences that I'm dying to share. I'll wait until I hear back from those schools, though.

I had an interviewer with flat affect. Guy was devoid of life. He could've been replaced by the med school's cadaver.

Reactions: 4 users
I had a similar interviewer, not as bad but extraordinarily 2 dimensional conversations never really progressed past question:answer, question:answer.

Huge let down because it was my top choice. Really connected with my second interviewer though

I can agree with that. Its a different kind of preparation.

Yes it is! You can prepare for and improve upon interview etiquette, basic conversational skills, how to deal with pressure and maybe even some of the most common questions. Beyond that though, interviewers can and do ask whatever they like.