Hospice and Palliative Care Fellowship Interview Invite 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I heard back from Stanford in couple of days after the doodle invite. As for UCSF .. Well, the email to their program coordinator bounced back so, I emailed the PD 5 days ago. No reply yet.

Just heard from ucsf today so you might want to check your email!

Members don't see this ad.

NYU 8/30

Updated:

BIDMC
Brown
Cedars Sinai
Columbia
Cooper
Christiana (DE)
City of Hope
Cleveland Clinic
Colorado
Cook County
Dartmouth
Drexel
EVMS
Geisinger
Hofstra/Northwell
Jamaica (Queens)
Jefferson
Lehigh Valley
Lincoln (Bronx)
MedStar Washington
Memorial Sloan Kettering
MGH
Michigan
Montefiore (Bronx)
Mt. Sinai
Mountain Health (Ashville, NC)
NYP-Queens
NYU
NYU-Winthrop
Penn State
St. Lukes (Bethlehem, PA)
Stanford
Temple/Fox Chase
Texas-San Antonio
UCSF
UPenn
URMC
USC (South Carolina)
Wake Forest
Yale

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know something substantial about:
- St Luke’s (in PA)
- UMichigan
- Cleveland clinic
- mountain health in Asheville, NC?

Everyone’s websites all basically sound the same and it’s hard to decipher which ones to actually go to. Thanks!

Sorry for the delayed reply. I’ve gone on three interviews so far, and it’s REALLY difficult to get a sense of the programs without going on the interviews (I agree about the websites, and even the programs with a lot of info online provide a great deal of additional info on the interview day).

Another good source of info has been alumn connections (check with your residency program and med school to see if anyone has gone to palliative fellowship, and have them put you in touch with anyone in the field).

Bottom line: if the program is somewhere you’d consider going, try to go to the interview.

MD Anderson 9/4

Updated:

BIDMC
Brown
Cedars Sinai
Columbia
Cooper
Christiana (DE)
City of Hope
Cleveland Clinic
Colorado
Cook County
Dartmouth
Drexel
EVMS
Geisinger
Hofstra/Northwell
Jamaica (Queens)
Jefferson
Lehigh Valley
Lincoln (Bronx)
MD Anderson
MedStar Washington
Memorial Sloan Kettering
MGH
Michigan
Montefiore (Bronx)
Mt. Sinai
NYP-Queens
NYU
NYU-Winthrop
Penn State
Stanford
Temple/Fox Chase
Texas-San Antonio
UCSF
UPenn
URMC
USC (South Carolina)
Wake Forest
Yale

First interview coming up soon. Anyone know what kinds of questions they're asking in these interviews? Are they really casual, really intense, or somewhere in between?

Updated:

BIDMC
Brown
Cedars Sinai
Columbia
Cooper
Christiana (DE)
City of Hope
Cleveland Clinic
Colorado
Cook County
Dartmouth
Drexel
EVMS
Geisinger
Hofstra/Northwell
Jamaica (Queens)
Jefferson
Lehigh Valley
Lincoln (Bronx)
MedStar Washington
Memorial Sloan Kettering
MGH
Michigan
Montefiore (Bronx)
Mt. Sinai
NYP-Queens
NYU
NYU-Winthrop
Penn State
Stanford
Temple/Fox Chase
Texas-San Antonio
UC Davis
UCSF
UPenn
University of Utah
URMC
USC (South Carolina)
Wake Forest
Yale

Interviews have been super chill. Very conversational.

Most common questions:
—Tell me about yourself.
—Why palliative?
—Difficult case?
—Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
—What do you hope to gain in fellowship?
—Self care is important. What do you do to recharge?

I've done three interview so far and agree with the above. I was expecting tough behavioral interview questions - how do you deal with conflicts, how do you give negative feedback, etc., but interviews have been much more focused on getting to know you and determining if you will be a good fit with the team. Most seem to have you interview with a few physicians, an advanced practice provider, and then some type of interdisciplinary team interview with nurses, chaplain, social worker, etc. Total cliche, but I think the best advice would be to be yourself and talk genuinely about your experiences, interests and your life both inside and outside medicine. I've met such wonderful and interesting people; interviewing has confirmed for me that this is where I belong in medicine. Hope I match somewhere!

I’ve been on 3 interviews, as well and will echo what is said above. Very conversational, and trying to decide fit.

How many interviews is everyone going on? I’m doing a total of 5 as i had to cancel several due to residency obligations. Hopefully enough to match. Anybody have an idea on competitiveness of this year?

I’m waiting for my LORs to be uploaded, do you think it’s too late to apply this/next week?

Thanks

Last edited:
Its getting late - arent rank lists due in less than a month? But better later than never

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone applying this week?

any experience on how late applications are handled? I believe many spots go unfilled every year, so I was wondering if programs are willing to review applications submitted this late. Or a better way to put this, is there a usually pre defined interview period or interviews are scheduled per application submissions mostly.

Anyone applying this week?

any experience on how late applications are handled? I believe many spots go unfilled every year, so I was wondering if programs are willing to review applications submitted this late. Or a better way to put this, is there a usually pre defined interview period or interviews are scheduled per application submissions mostly.

For a lot of the interviews I have been on this week and last week, I was either the last interview day or close to the last, and many PDs and attendings talked about getting ready to do their rank order list. I don't want to be a pessimist but I am all but certain this is too late, as many programs only had several dates for interview and had filled their interview spots when I tried to change my interview date.

Reactions: 1 user
For a lot of the interviews I have been on this week and last week, I was either the last interview day or close to the last, and many PDs and attendings talked about getting ready to do their rank order list. I don't want to be a pessimist but I am all but certain this is too late, as many programs only had several dates for interview and had filled their interview spots when I tried to change my interview date.

Thanks,
Join me next cycle :):thumbup:

I think scrumble is still an option for us :)

I’ve heard too many spots go unfilled every year

Last year there were about 50 open slots, 85% of the tota positions were filled (though maybe that includes scramble). So its an option - just make sure you sign up for the first round nrmp match otherwise you wont get access to the list to scramble.

I've done three interview so far and agree with the above. I was expecting tough behavioral interview questions - how do you deal with conflicts, how do you give negative feedback, etc., but interviews have been much more focused on getting to know you and determining if you will be a good fit with the team. Most seem to have you interview with a few physicians, an advanced practice provider, and then some type of interdisciplinary team interview with nurses, chaplain, social worker, etc. Total cliche, but I think the best advice would be to be yourself and talk genuinely about your experiences, interests and your life both inside and outside medicine. I've met such wonderful and interesting people; interviewing has confirmed for me that this is where I belong in medicine. Hope I match somewhere!

Is your Avatar a Fantastic Planet reference?!? Props if so.

How is everyone doing with finalizing their rank list? I know my 1&2, but 3-6, I have no idea as they are all great programs. I’m just going to finalize it by Sunday evening, be done with it and see where I end up.
Good luck everyone!