Hospital Closure - Losing my Prelim!?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canukmd

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please help. Wrote about the same topic in the "Internship" forum but thought I'd try here as well.

Please see below:

Did and search and didn't find much on this topic.

Slated to start my prelim IM July '07...just saw on the news that the hospital I'm going to may close down due to financial reasons. It's a county hospital that has had it's share of $$ troubles but it never came this far sicne it really is the only facility for 200K + patients. If they do close it will likely happen this summer (according to the news) - the hospital board, governor and county council will make a decision by next week (again, according to what I've read/heard on the news).

Tried calling the PD, the Program Co-ord and even the Secretary and no one's answering their phone. I'm outta state so showing up there unannounced is not practical.

I have my Advanced in Anesthesia for 2008 and I plan to call the PD there to see if they know of ways to help me out. But what I want to know is what obligation (if any) does my prelim program have in getting me another prelim year? Can I ask the folks at the NRMP to do something for me?

Any advice would be appreciated.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=390798

Members don't see this ad.

Call you anesthesia PD. He will hook you up.

Ideally, when a program closes, they help their residents find new positions. Unfortunately, it doesn't always happen. Keep trying to get in touch with people where you'll be an intern, and definately get in touch with the anesthesia PD. It's in the anesthesia program's best interest for you to finish your internship on time.

agreed. call your future PD. should be able to help. also, there are ton of prelim spots out there. fortunately, you can do just about any internship (even ob/gyn) and get credit for your prelim year. prelim surgery spots, although among the tougher internships, are plentiful. you just may have to relocate more than once (which sucks).