Hospital experience versus residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmD123456

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many years of (non-residency) hospital experience do you need to compete with an applicant who has 1-2 years of residency? For example, I've seen some job listings with requirements for a PGY2 residency. Would a pharmacist with 15 years of hospital experience be eligible to apply?

Members don't see this ad.

How many years of (non-residency) hospital experience do you need to compete with an applicant who has 1-2 years of residency? For example, I've seen some job listings with requirements for a PGY2 residency. Would a pharmacist with 15 years of hospital experience be eligible to apply?

They generally equate 1 year of residency = 3 years of work experience. However, it is a bit of apple and oranges. The rule of thumb really should say "3 years doing the same type of work".

The problem I saw is that in hospitals with clinical pharmacists/residents the staff pharmacist do not perform/assigned any clinical work. So they can be there 5-10 years and hadn't learned how to do primary care clinics, ID/abx stewardship, chemos... etc. Of course to be fair, the PGY-1 resident are slower when it comes to staffing duties. When it comes to PGY-2 resident, unless a staff pharmacist somehow got a specialty job, no amount of staffing experience will make them reach that level or even take the board certification.

In the days when there were few residents around, staff pharmacist could work their way into a clinical position. But with an abundance of residents now a days, that route become less than less likely.

Members don't see this ad :)
ive been licenced in california for about a 1.5 years. i work a hybrid position at my hospital. i am in charge of med/surge floor, i enter all orders for my floors, as well as dose the vanco, aminoglycoside patiens, inpatient anticoag, heparin infusion, lovenox, warfarin. This is my first job out of pharmacy school, i hope this experience would be valuable if i were looking for another hospital job. I am not in charge of hiring but if i were the director and i was interviewing a candidate with similar experience as myself and PGY1 grad. i would hire the person that had been doing the job for almost 2 years not the PGY1. thats just my personal opinion.

I am curious if anyone else has any experience with this scenario---what do pharmacy directors want when they are hiring?