Hospital job during gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MatthieuXD

Hi everyone,

My friend (who doesn't have an SDN account so I'm posting this for her) got rejected at all medical schools so she has nothing to do for a year until the can apply again. She would like to know what is a good hospital job to have for the year that she can continue if she doesn't get in again or leave after a year if she gets in. She doesn't want to do a masters since she wouldn't want to leave before finishing if she got in to med school (and she also doesn't like research). Her GPA and EC are great so there shouldn't be an issue with interview/ getting selected for the job.

What type of job should I advise her to apply for where she can get clinical experience and it looks great on the med school app? Also, one that isn't extremely difficult for a recent uni grad to get.

Last question, would it make a signifiant difference in her app if she volunteered for her year off or had a job? If both were hospital positions with clinical experience, does it matter if it was paying or not?

I've never worked in a hospital or sought something like this so unfortunately I am of no help to her, which is where you lovely SDN people come in.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Look into scribing or getting an EMT/CNA certification and working as a patient care tech. Patient care took would be more hands on experience.

Reactions: 1 user
If she got rejected from all the medical schools she applied to her time would best be served improving her application. I doubt one job done at a hospital will be significant enough to improve her chances.If she truly does not like research I suppose I will recommend scribing as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If she got rejected from all the medical schools she applied to her time would best be served improving her application. I doubt one job done at a hospital will be significant enough to improve her chances.If she truly does not like research I suppose I will recommend scribing as well.

This. Did she apply too top heavy? The one thing you didn't mention was the MCAT. This is a big piece of the puzzle. Maybe it's worth studying extensively for it. A job is a big commitment. Maybe adding additional volunteering would do the trick.

Her GPA and EC are great so there shouldn't be an issue with interview/ getting selected for the job.

What about the MCAT?

What type of job should I advise her to apply for where she can get clinical experience and it looks great on the med school app? Also, one that isn't extremely difficult for a recent uni grad to get.

It's going to be hard finding anything that looks great. Everyone and their mother have done entry-level clinical work which have been seen many times over by ADCOMs. If there are certain things like the MCAT that can be significantly improved, then this is where the time should be spent. Clinical jobs are dime a dozen, it won't look better than an improved MCAT assuming that it wasn't as good as she had hoped. She can also do additional volunteer work, which is a much lower time commitment than paid clinical work. Also, she can really push a non-clinical volunteer opportunity on her application if she'd like.

Last question, would it make a signifiant difference in her app if she volunteered for her year off or had a job? If both were hospital positions with clinical experience, does it matter if it was paying or not?

She'll be expected to keep up with volunteering in order to not look like a dreaded "box checker." So it's important that she keeps up with volunteering. I'm not sure if a job would make a difference or not, especially if her MCAT can be improved. Like I mentioned before, ADCOMs have seen it all. If you're expecting an entry-level clinical job to be that magical ticket to medical school, it's not going to happen. Stats and the other expected ECs are far more important.

Thanks a lot everyone. She told me her MCAT was a 33 (12 BS/10 PS/11 VR) so I don't think she needs to write again.

Sorry I forgot to mention that this is in Canada. I realize SDN is for America, but I find the answers here more helpful and plentiful than premed101. There's only 5 med schools in ON that she could apply to (excluding one) so it's not that shocking for someone to be rejected their first time applying. Unfortunately, it's quite common.

Anyways, I think I will suggest EMT (I think equivalent availability in Canada is EMR) and scribing since she likes hands-on work.

Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot everyone. She told me her MCAT was a 33 (12 BS/10 PS/11 VR) so I don't think she needs to write again.

Sorry I forgot to mention that this is in Canada. I realize SDN is for America, but I find the answers here more helpful and plentiful than premed101. There's only 5 med schools in ON that she could apply to (excluding one) so it's not that shocking for someone to be rejected their first time applying.

How difficult is it for a recent grad (4 years biomedical science honours) to get EMT certification? I'm not sure how it works... do you apply and get accepted to work for the certificate or just sign up and work for the certificate? She's worried she will find something to do then not get accepted and be left with nothing :/

Ah that makes things a lot harder. I'm from Toronto and had to move to the States. Is she open too american schools? You can't do EMT in Ontario, the entry EMS position is a PCP (primary care paramedic) which I believe is a 2 year college degree. And scribing hasn't really made it's way up there.... Unfortunately the best thing to do in her case would be research as Ontarian schools dont really seem to care about other EC's from what I've seen.

Whats her GPA? If it's low (<3.7) I would go take some classes at Ryerson full time so you can get a boost at the schools that look at your best 2 years.

Ah that makes things a lot harder. I'm from Toronto and had to move to the States. Is she open too american schools? You can't do EMT in Ontario, the entry EMS position is a PCP (primary care paramedic) which I believe is a 2 year college degree. And scribing hasn't really made it's way up there.... Unfortunately the best thing to do in her case would be research as Ontarian schools dont really seem to care about other EC's from what I've seen.

Whats her GPA? If it's low (<3.7) I would go take some classes at Ryerson full time so you can get a boost at the schools that look at your best 2 years.

Yay a fellow Toronto-er! No unfortunately she's set on staying in Canada. Her GPA, if I remember accurately, is 3.78 (with weighting scale at diff schools it'll range from 3.8 to 3.92... 3.92 for schools that take her top or best 2 years). So are there are research positions that involve being in the hospital and not a lab and are one year long? If so, are there specific names or websites for these programs?

Yay a fellow Toronto-er! No unfortunately she's set on staying in Canada. Her GPA, if I remember accurately, is 3.78 (with weighting scale at diff schools it'll range from 3.8 to 3.92... 3.92 for schools that take her top or best 2 years). So are there are research positions that involve being in the hospital and not a lab and are one year long? If so, are there specific names or websites for these programs?

The only program I know of like that is this program at Sunnybrook:

http://sunnybrook.ca/research/content/?page=sri-ed-summ

It's only for the summer but maybe if she does well it could lead to a job after?

The only program I know of like that is this program at Sunnybrook:

http://sunnybrook.ca/research/content/?page=sri-ed-summ

It's only for the summer but maybe if she does well it could lead to a job after?

I just looked through the sites and it appears that you need to still be enrolled in uni to get the position. It says recent grads may still have a chance, which doesn't sound promising :/ I was thinking of Sunnybrook as well so I'll research more into that. Thanks a lot!

This is a somewhat unconventional answer, but if your friend is willing to relocate, she should look into working for an EMR. Seriously, google a company called Epic. The majority of hospitals in the US use their software, and they are starting to expand overseas as well. I worked there during my gap year, and I honestly think it is the only reason I got accepted this cycle. You get certified in a widely used EMR, which will not only help for med school, but residency as well. As part of the job, you get to travel to hospitals around the country and TRAIN doctors how to do their job using the software--it looks incredibly good on an application. And on top of it all, you get great benefits, a great salary, and you get to live in Madison, WI for a year, which is an awesome city.

Edit: And also, they are expanding like CRAZY. Any decent premed student has a great chance to get hired. Also forgot to mention, the campus is like disneyland--I'm talking slides instead of staircases, an Indiana Jones themed tunnel, and a Harry Potter themed campus currently under construction.

Last edited:
This is a somewhat unconventional answer, but if your friend is willing to relocate, she should look into working for an EMR. Seriously, google a company called Epic. The majority of hospitals in the US use their software, and they are starting to expand overseas as well. I worked there during my gap year, and I honestly think it is the only reason I got accepted this cycle. You get certified in a widely used EMR, which will not only help for med school, but residency as well. As part of the job, you get to travel to hospitals around the country and TRAIN doctors how to do their job using the software--it looks incredibly good on an application. And on top of it all, you get great benefits, a great salary, and you get to live in Madison, WI for a year, which is an awesome city.

Edit: And also, they are expanding like CRAZY. Any decent premed student has a great chance to get hired. Also forgot to mention, the campus is like disneyland--I'm talking slides instead of staircases, an Indiana Jones themed tunnel, and a Harry Potter themed campus currently under construction.

Sorry to derail the thread, but this sounds so cool! What position did your role in Epic fall under?

Sorry to derail the thread, but this sounds so cool! What position did your role in Epic fall under?

I did QA--basically software testing. It's a desk job, but you get certified in the software, and you can volunteer to go to hospitals for "go-lives" to provide floor support for clinical staff using the software for the first time. However, I think the role a lot of premeds would be interested in is Project Manager/Implemetation Staff. You get assigned a customer or three, and you oversee their install of the product from start to finish. You travel A LOT for this role, which can be annoying, but you get a lot of clinical experience and get paid more too. Also, even though you aren't paying for flights/hotel/rental cars, they are all booked in your name, so you can get some pretty insane travel perks. They'll hire pretty much any major for either QA or IS. More technical roles typically require a Computer Science or Engineering degree.

Last edited:
I did QA--basically software testing. It's a desk job, but you get certified in the software, and you can volunteer to go to hospitals for "go-lives" to provide floor support for clinical staff using the software for the first time. However, I think the role a lot of premeds would be interested in is Project Manager/Implemetation Staff. You get assigned a customer or three, and you oversee their install of the product from start to finish. You travel A LOT for this role, which can be annoying, but you get a lot of clinical experience and get paid more too. Also, even though you aren't paying for flights/hotel/rental cars, they are all booked in your name, so you can get some pretty insane travel perks. They'll hire pretty much any major for either QA or IS. More technical roles typically require a Computer Science or Engineering degree.

Wow that sounds so cool! I'm looking through the job offerings and they all sound great. She would want to apply for a couple positions to optimize her chance of getting a spot so could you give me a couple positions she should apply for that have the most travelling plus hospital exposure/ clinical experience? Around what amount what should she put for "anticipated salary"? A big reason she doesn't want to leave Canada for her gap year is for the money... so you get paid decently for this job and all travel, hotels, etc. are paid for right? If so, I'm dropping out of school and taking the job too :soexcited:

Wow that sounds so cool! I'm looking through the job offerings and they all sound great. She would want to apply for a couple positions to optimize her chance of getting a spot so could you give me a couple positions she should apply for that have the most travelling plus hospital exposure/ clinical experience? Around what amount what should she put for "anticipated salary"? A big reason she doesn't want to leave Canada for her gap year is for the money... so you get paid decently for this job and all travel, hotels, etc. are paid for right? If so, I'm dropping out of school and taking the job too :soexcited:

If I recall correctly from my interview process, they'll consider you for all roles no matter what you apply for. I applied for the TS position and got hired as QA. Most hospital exposure would definitely be IS (project manager) or TS (technical services). Those are the only roles that are actually assigned customers that they are responsible for. That customer work may not translate directly to working with clinical staff--a lot of the time you are working with analysts and other technical hospital employees. That said, all roles do floor support for go-lives, where you work directly with doctors and nurses. If you're proactive about volunteering for them, you would probably go on 3-6 of those trips a year, if not more. I know the starting salary for TS is around 60k, and I think IS is a bit more, maybe as much as 75k. QA makes a lot less (start at around 45k), but you generally work less hours and have a more consistent schedule since you're not travelling as much.

I would personally recommend getting a hospital job as a CNA/PCA or whatever you call it. I applied last year and had no acceptances. During my gap year I have been working as a PCA on an Oncology/Palliative care floor. I have volunteered and shadowed doctors in the past but I felt that this job has taught me so much more about hospital life, bedside manner, interacting with nurses/doctors/PAs etc. I feel that it has been invaluable and Im glad I took a gap year. I had 5 interviews and 3 acceptances this past year. I improved my MCAT/GPA by a few points along with a few other improvements but this job was definitely a HUGE talking point for interviews and I'm sure it helped my application immensely. I was an EMT a few years ago but I never did enough hours to see a satisfying variety of calls, so I'm a little more biased towards being in a hospital. I feel that working in a hospital is more relevant to becoming a physician anyway. I haven't heard of a lot of pre meds being PCAs, but even if med schools do see PCAs a lot I still think it is a great experience to prep you for interacting and caring for patients and families.

Great thanks a lot everyone! Very helpful and informative... lots of options now :D

Sorry I'm SUPER late to the game, but I just had an onsite interview at Epic for the software tester role. If I get an offer, I'm considering working there during my gap year, but my only concern is taking the time off for med school interviews. I'll be interviewing out of state, so just wanted to hear more about what your experience was like interviewing while working there?