Hospital medicine billing changes for 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Speaking from Oncology standpoint since something similar was implemented as out patient, my productivity has gone up and my time spent charting has lessened.

When we round inpatient and see consults, we still follow the older style of billing which definitely seems more cumbersome and less productive

My 2 cents

The current inpt/outpt coding schema is one of the many things that keeps me out of the hospital. With the 2023 changes (assuming my hospital implements them), I at least won't be disincentivized from seeing my patients once they're admitted.

As it stands now, I lose $100-200 when i see a patient in the hospital vs seeing them in clinic. The fact that it takes me 3x as long to see the inpatient (given the time it takes to get from the clinic to their room and back) makes that number probably actually ~$500.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The current inpt/outpt coding schema is one of the many things that keeps me out of the hospital. With the 2023 changes (assuming my hospital implements them), I at least won't be disincentivized from seeing my patients once they're admitted.

As it stands now, I lose $100-200 when i see a patient in the hospital vs seeing them in clinic. The fact that it takes me 3x as long to see the inpatient (given the time it takes to get from the clinic to their room and back) makes that number probably actually ~$500.

Some people at our hospital have started doing tele-consults from the office. I am also exploring that option now. Not sure how long that would be viable for. Initially started for COVID positive patients now it's getting more common.

Some people at our hospital have started doing tele-consults from the office. I am also exploring that option now. Not sure how long that would be viable for. Initially started for COVID positive patients now it's getting more common.
Unfortunately for us, it's 2 different hospital systems (clinic to hospital) so it's not an option for us (I've tried, despite the fact that I despise virtual visits). I kind of find the logistics of it to be a hassle too. I'd rather just wander over to the hospital whenever I have a minute, knock on the door and wake the patient up if needed.

To be clear, not knocking the idea, just saying it's not universally an option.

Reactions: 1 users
Really difficult to hit level 3 on any f/u pt…
Bye bye Lambo 😢
23DE4D85-EC53-4F36-91E8-6B0BC205869F.png

50 minutes by time what a joke for 2 measly rvus.

You just need to lift those high risk statements and include the one that applies + problem issues.