Hospital Pharmacist Interview Questions

Started by Sparda29
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wanna put together a thread of common questions asked during hospital pharmacy interviews and their answers.

#1 - Why hospital pharmacy?

Recent interview I had, almost stumped me with this question. My answers for this were that I was interested in clinical pharmacy/academia and a hospital pharmacy job is a good base to start off with if you wanna head in that direction, and that I'd want to take the BCPS in a few years.

I wanted to answer with, "there is too much micromanagement in retail, companies asking you to do more with less (tech hours), companies pushing you about things like Extracare card scan rates, automatic refills, emphasis on speed, etc".
 
Without fail, what are your short term/long term career goals?

Answer depends on the individual.

Short term kinda always stumped me because my short term goals were just to get licensed ASAP and get up and running as a pharmacist...though I guess it depends on how the interviewer defines short term.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wanna put together a thread of common questions asked during hospital pharmacy interviews and their answers.

#1 - Why hospital pharmacy?

Recent interview I had, almost stumped me with this question. My answers for this were that I was interested in clinical pharmacy/academia and a hospital pharmacy job is a good base to start off with if you wanna head in that direction, and that I'd want to take the BCPS in a few years.

I wanted to answer with, "there is too much micromanagement in retail, companies asking you to do more with less (tech hours), companies pushing you about things like Extracare card scan rates, automatic refills, emphasis on speed, etc".

I don't know that DOP's wanna hear about how they are a spring board and it really isn't what you want to do.
 
I wanna put together a thread of common questions asked during hospital pharmacy interviews and their answers.

#1 - Why hospital pharmacy?

Recent interview I had, almost stumped me with this question. My answers for this were that I was interested in clinical pharmacy/academia and a hospital pharmacy job is a good base to start off with if you wanna head in that direction, and that I'd want to take the BCPS in a few years.

I wanted to answer with, "there is too much micromanagement in retail, companies asking you to do more with less (tech hours), companies pushing you about things like Extracare card scan rates, automatic refills, emphasis on speed, etc".

So in other words, you answered by telling them you didn't really want the job. Cyclo is right. What a terrible response to a question. Telling them you wanted the job because if the cafeteria food would have been better.
 
I don't know that DOP's wanna hear about how they are a spring board and it really isn't what you want to do.

So in other words, you answered by telling them you didn't really want the job. Cyclo is right. What a terrible response to a question. Telling them you wanted the job because if the cafeteria food would have been better.

I mean, I can't do a residency. GPA is way too ****ty for that.

So like what would you say in that scenario? Can't really say that, "I don't like retail because the district management is a bunch of *******s."
 
How about: "You get to use more of your education in hospital pharmacy and I found this practice area to be the most interesting to me throughout my time in pharmacy school." Then you could always take it a step further and personalize the answer to why that particular hospital.

I really tried to focus on positive things only during my interviews and avoided saying anything negative, like how I really wanted to do a residency but didn't match or that I really can't stand retail, whatever.
 
How about: "You get to use more of your education in hospital pharmacy and I found this practice area to be the most interesting to me throughout my time in pharmacy school." Then you could always take it a step further and personalize the answer to why that particular hospital.

I really tried to focus on positive things only during my interviews and avoided saying anything negative, like how I really wanted to do a residency but didn't match or that I really can't stand retail, whatever.

Just found out the hospital where I did my Internal Med rotation is hiring, absolutely loved that place. Gonna call my old preceptor tomorrow.