Hospital Pharmacist job with patient interaction?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MyRealNameIs

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I read somewhere on the forum that there is very little interaction with patients as a hospital pharmacist.

I was just wondering if there is a specialty in hospital besides ambulatory care that has interactions with patients.

Also, who gives consultation to patients about their meds then? Doctors or nurses?

Thanks
 
We have to do the med recs (woo hoo).

Plus some hospital pharmacists do discharge counseling or other kinds of teaching.

I would say I get plenty enough patient interaction for my taste. But yeah, if you want all day patient interaction then retail or ambulatory care might be better options.
 
I am an internal medicine pharmacist. I have lots of patient interaction by way of discharge medication counseling. I can also interview my patients at any other time that I find beneficial.