Hospital pharmacist-salaried vs. hourly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mustang sally

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How common is it for a hospital pharmacist to be salaried vs. hourly? Are you getting ripped off if you take a salaried position in hospital or can it still be a good deal?
 
How common is it for a hospital pharmacist to be salaried vs. hourly? Are you getting ripped off if you take a salaried position in hospital or can it still be a good deal?

Clinical and up are often salaried. Salaried usually allows for more flexibility with time. Whether you are getting "rip off" or not depends on whether getting the job done routinely average more than the 40 hr week. One down side with salaried is that most places won't pay salaried RPh for picking up extra shifts, so they have to get PRN jobs.
 
I'm salaried and work just over 40 hrs but if I need to run errands during lunch or go to the doctor (in the building), I don't take PTO. We work a little over sometimes, a little under others. It all balances out in the end. I like the freedom I get being salaried and I never feel that I'm taken advantage of. We do comp time if we work extra and we do get call pay as well. I have a sweet gig.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How common is it for a hospital pharmacist to be salaried vs. hourly? Are you getting ripped off if you take a salaried position in hospital or can it still be a good deal?

at my institution management is salary, clinical is hourly. if you're staffing and covering floors, i wouldn't want to be salaried, it doesn't make any sense to me unless you have a specialty position or something. whereas for a resident salary makes sense as they're sometimes staffing, but mostly working on projects and whatnot.

i would feel ripped off with salary unless i was getting paid way more or just doing easy work like guidelines or presentations or something. then again, i also make considerably less based on the numerous posts regarding money, so that's my bias.
 
At my hospital, staff pharmacists are hourly employees with benefits, contracted to work 40-hour/week (if full time). This works out better because you get 1.5x pay if working overtime.
 
Stay hourly as long as you can...

QFT, my staff are hourly and get extra for holidays. I'm salaried (and work 50-60+hours) and dont get JACK and have to work holidays unless I want to use my PTO! I love my job otherwise.

I do PRN shifts @ Walgreens to make some extra $
 
Well, I found out I get call pay at least. As long as they keep my schedule close to forty hours a week (ha ha) and I get my other benefits I won't feel too cheated.

Still seems a little strange to me that a staff pharmacist position is salaried, though.
 
Well, I found out I get call pay at least. As long as they keep my schedule close to forty hours a week (ha ha) and I get my other benefits I won't feel too cheated.

Still seems a little strange to me that a staff pharmacist position is salaried, though.

All of our staff are salary-exempt. Everyone is paid on an hourly rate, with a standard of 40 hours. We do give on-call pay as well as overtime for when someone comes in overnight for a call, but for the most part, it works like a salaried spot. Sometimes you stay longer, sometimes you leave earlier. If we notice someone taking advantage or being screwed over then we will say something. Otherwise we let our staff work it out themselves.