Hospital Pharmacists.......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaffeineAddict30

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
From the interactions that I have had why is it that the majority of hospital/clinical RPhs act like they are much better than community RPhs? I've heard things like "retail pharmacists are in retail because they aren't smart enough to be in the hospital" blah blah blah. They also tend to be more cocky and condescending. Why is that?

Members don't see this ad.

Because they get to sit on a chair.

Reactions: 2 users
Well I can only speak for myself but I definitely don't think I'm better than any retail pharmacist simply because of the area I work in. I do enjoy my job and don't have to deal with the unpleasant parts of retail (i.e. yelling customers, insurance claim drama, no lunch breaks) but hospital is no walk in the park either. I know many of my classmates that were smart as hell in school that now work in retail. Retail pharmacists have to be smart too so its not like all the dummies go to retail, the smart kids work in the hospital. Its unfortunate that that even stigma exists.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am so very happy for my retail brethren.

My best friend from pharmacy school is a wags manager and loves it. She says she would hate my job.

That's why I'm glad there are so many opportunities in pharmacy, so we may pursue what makes us happy.

From the interactions that I have had why is it that the majority of hospital/clinical RPhs act like they are much better than community RPhs? I've heard things like "retail pharmacists are in retail because they aren't smart enough to be in the hospital" blah blah blah. They also tend to be more cocky and condescending. Why is that?

I feel sorry for my retail brethren more than anything.

But to answer the question, I think some pharmacists feel that a) the rarity of their position and b) the level of involvement in their patient's care elevates them to the level of mid-level practitioner or higher and thus entitles them to bash on everyone else.

I'm thinking the sdn population might be somewhat more down to earth. It's just a lot of hospitals RPhs I have interacted with act like they have a chip On their shoulder and are better than the retail people. I think being a retail Rph espicially a manager requires you to be business savvy In order to be successful. I just don't like seeing the disconnect between hospital and retail.

Last edited:
I'm thinking the sdn population might be somewhat more down to earth. It's just a lot of hospitals RPhs I have interacted with act like they have a chip On their shoulder and are better than the retail people. I think being a retail Rph espicially a manager requires you to be business savvy In order to be successful. I just don't like seeing the disconnect between hospital and retail.

Hospital pharmacy managers and DOPs need to be business savvy too. That what half of what management is.

Hospital pharmacy managers and DOPs need to be business savvy too. That what half of what management is.

I would think hospital management has to be more business savvy than their retail counterparts. Your supply chain is so complex and the decisions you make in P&T carry throughout the system.

Usually supply chain is predetermined by corporate at the retail level, and telling your prescribers to not prescribe something is pretty much unheard of by a retail pharmacist except when a PBM passes that message to you.

Even within the hospital setting, the clinical pharmacist think they are better than staff. It's so idiotic

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I always thank my retail pharmacist and tech when my meds get filled.

Glad my hospital is nothing like that.

The clinical pharmacist at my old hospital used to get pissed whenever she had to do regular pharmacist work and would continuously pass off work to us under the disguise of "teaching us clinical work". Let's say me and the other pharmacist were busy and the tech was already on one phone and the other phone rings. Obviously, me and the other pharmacist aren't going to stop what we're doing to answer it until we finish. She picks up the phone takes care of the matter and then after she hangs up, she comes up to us and says "it's not my job to be answering the phone or playing secretary". She'd pass off work to us such as vancomycin monitoring, gentamicing monitoring, warfarin monitoring, renal dosing, IV-PO interchanges, metformin monitoring, simvastatin interaction monitoring. We'd have this daily checklist to complete.

Obviously, she claimed the work as her own. After that, she got a major promotion in the health system where they literally created a position for her to be in charge of all the clinical pharmacists in the health system.

There are smart and dumb pharmacists in all settings. Retail makes more money, but I have better benefits. It is all a trade off. I've worked in both areas and much prefer hospital. No hate on retail...my roomate in pharm school was one of the best students in class and she went that route. She is overall very happy.

Reactions: 1 users
There are smart and dumb pharmacists in all settings. Retail makes more money, but I have better benefits. It is all a trade off. I've worked in both areas and much prefer hospital. No hate on retail...my roomate in pharm school was one of the best students in class and she went that route. She is overall very happy.

I hated retail because I straight up couldn't handle it. It wasn't about academic prowess or the supposed knowledge gap, I just couldn't deal with the workflow, direct exposure to customers, corporate overlords, and relative monotony.

The clinical pharmacist at my old hospital used to get pissed whenever she had to do regular pharmacist work and would continuously pass off work to us under the disguise of "teaching us clinical work". Let's say me and the other pharmacist were busy and the tech was already on one phone and the other phone rings. Obviously, me and the other pharmacist aren't going to stop what we're doing to answer it until we finish. She picks up the phone takes care of the matter and then after she hangs up, she comes up to us and says "it's not my job to be answering the phone or playing secretary". She'd pass off work to us such as vancomycin monitoring, gentamicing monitoring, warfarin monitoring, renal dosing, IV-PO interchanges, metformin monitoring, simvastatin interaction monitoring. We'd have this daily checklist to complete.

Obviously, she claimed the work as her own. After that, she got a major promotion in the health system where they literally created a position for her to be in charge of all the clinical pharmacists in the health system.

She knows how to play the game. Better get out of her way!

This pharmacist I know would leave his group and help another group. When he is gone, other pharmacists within his group would have to pick up the slack. That is not how management saw it. They thought he was doing his work and was helping another group as well. Yeah he moved up fast. He knows how to work it.

She knows how to play the game. Better get out of her way!

This pharmacist I know would leave his group and help another group. When he is gone, other pharmacists within his group would have to pick up the slack. That is not how management saw it. They thought he was doing his work and was helping another group as well. Yeah he moved up fast. He knows how to work it.

The only thing she could claim as her own work would be teaching us how to do those tasks and compiling all the data from the work we completed.

Having worked both, my opinion is to do a good job at either, one has to be smart & educated. The working knowledge base for both is different, so there is a learning curve when one moves either way (from retail to hospital or from hospital to retail) I always figured hospital pharmacists like to pretend they were smarter than retail pharmacists, as a consolation prize for the fact that in most areas of the country they make significantly less than retail pharmacists.

Reactions: 1 users