Hospital Pharmacy Internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clutzyshell

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm a P-4 going on to P-5.

About 4 weeks ago, I interviewed at a hospital in NYC and I'm sure I interviewed beautifully, showing that I knew a lot about the hospital and their future plans with the pharmacy--and with 4 years of experience at a retail pharmacy.

I mailed out "thank you" letters the week after and now, almost 4 weeks has passed, and I haven't gotten a call.

I called HR but they insisted that they haven't heard anything from the pharmacy manager (the man I interviewed with) but they will call me as soon has he makes his decision. Interns that work there now told me that they haven't seen anyone new working there and that last year when they applied, it took the hospital a month to 2 months to hear back and they now work there, but that sounds kinda absurd, no?

- Should I just assume that I didn't get the job, or do hospital pharmacies take this long to decide/hire someone?

Thanks for your opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard of people waiting 1, 2 or even 4 months to be gotten back to. Pretty absurd to keep yourself open for that long, if you ask me. And if you ask these people, they'll just say that you're on their list or something like that, and they'll get back to you later...usually later never happens. Look for another job, and if you get this one while you're still jobless, that's great.

So yeah, I've asked 3 interns that work there now and they all said it takes about 6 weeks for them to call back.

But they also told me they saw at least 10 new interns this past week, meaning they already hired a huge round of interns.

I'm still at the 4th week back of no call back over interview. I would love to interview somewhere else, but I really want to work for this hospital and I can't even interview at their other location (which I think I would get the position b/c they are really desperate) since I can't be considered at BOTH locations.

Yeah, I don't think I got the job... =/

But I kinda wished they called me and to tell me I am not getting hired.

But I kinda wished they called me and to tell me I am not getting hired.
I really think this is terrible when companies do this. If I didn't get a job, fine, tell me, my ego can take it. Don't wimp out and hope I'll forget about it. I tried to get an internship at Cardinal, applied and just two days later had a phone interview. During the call they told me they wanted to set up an in-person a week later and to expect a call. I gave them about 10 days, then called them. They said they'd get back to me. Exactly a month after my phone interview, they set up the in-person. During that interview, they told me they'd let me know in a week or two. After that, I didn't hear from them for about 3 months, when I got an email saying, "We appreciate your time and effort in pursuing a career with Cardinal Health. However, the Intern - Temp - Nuclear Pharmacy position, has been filled." :(

If my phone interview was that bad (I didn't think it was), why did they even say "set up an in-person?" Or why did they even humor me with the in-person? If the in-person was that bad (I didn't think it was), why did they wait so long to tell me? I'm sure there are reasonable explanations, because I know that I'm not anybody's first priority, but it just seems odd to wait that long. If I had been hired, would they have waited that long for me to start working?

Similar scenario happened another time, but that was with Guitar Center, and I pretty much knew I didn't get the job. The other applicant looked like a rockstar, long hair, tattoos, piercings, obviously fit the part better. But they've still never told me that I didn't get the job. :p