hospital pharmacy practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigQid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most of my experience is in the community setting, but I have decided that I'd like to get into working in the hospital setting. The institutional rotation that I had was mostly filling so I wasn't really shown what the pharmacist does beyond when I was allowed to enter some orders and make some IVs.

1. How difficult are hospital jobs to get without a residency these days?
2. What are the skills that I need to work on so that I can be an effective hospital pharmacist on day 1? (I have started volunteering in a hospital so that I can try to pick up what I should have learned on rotation if that paints a picture, but I'm not sure what I should be asking to learn.)

Members don't see this ad.

1. How difficult are hospital jobs to get without a residency these days?
will be a bit harder...unless u have connection,network. However, thanks to the massive opening like mushrooms of pharmacy schools across the nation, even with a residency is no longer guaranteed a job in a hospital, even a staffing position.

2. What are the skills that I need to work on so that I can be an effective hospital pharmacist on day 1? (I have started volunteering in a hospital so that I can try to pick up what I should have learned on rotation if that paints a picture, but I'm not sure what I should be asking to learn.)
communication, technical skill that u learn during pharm years...