hospital pharmD

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by highlyfavored, Dec 8, 2005.

1. highlyfavored

highlyfavored obligated to serve God...
    5+ Year Member

I see that most are saying that retail pharmDs stand the entire shift. What about hospital pharmDs? Are they standing all day, I mean since they are doing more "behind the scene" things.

2. Rxbound

Rxbound Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

The ones I work with spend most of their day at the computer, seated, entering orders...occasionally they leave the pharmacy, but not often.

3. Sosumi

Sosumi Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    The staff pharmacists at my hospital spend most of their time sitting to enter orders and answer the phone. They only get up to check Pyxis fills, cart fills, crash carts, anesthesia trays, and IVs, and to do stat orders and controlled substance fills. They also have to go up to the floors to respond to Code Blues or to do aminoglycoside dosing. They also get 45 minutes have an uninterrupted lunch break.

As for the clinical pharmacists, it depends on what their duty is (medication safety, transitional care, critical care, etc.).

4. konkan

konkan coup de grace
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    What is code blue?

5. LBS615

LBS615 LBS615
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student

A code blue is a medical emergency that occurs in the hospital, ie a heart attack or respiratory failure.

A code black at my hospital was a bomb threat.

A code pink was a child emergency.

A code red was a fire.

There were a lot of codes and we had them all conveniently listed on the back of our ID cards.

6. Requiem

Requiem Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

There are two main types:

Dispensary pharmacists
    Clinical pharmacists.

The latter does rounding with the 'inter-disciplinary healthcare team' to assess and review patients' charts, makes recommendations on therapeutic action, colloborates with Nurse Pracitioners/Physicians as a whole.

Dispensary pharmacists, are just that. You have little patient contact, opposed to full-on patient contact in regards to clinical.

7. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Here in CA most all hospital pharmacists serve both functions - dispensing and clinical. Now....the dispensing is checking the stat dose the tech has prepared (or heaven forbid - checking pyxis!!!) - not actually dispensing. But...the clinical work usually requires standing/walking. You have to go to where the patient is - and that is not the pharmacy. So...you walk to whatever unit the patient is on - look at the chart, speak to the nurse,patient or family, do your calculations, write the order, etc..So, yes you are on your feet - but...so what? So is the MD, the respiratory tech, the nurse - you don't notice it after awhile. IMO, the very WORST job in hospital pharmacy is sitting and doing anything - checking orders, inputing orders in the computer, etc....I feel I am on a very short tether - either to the phone or the computer!