Hospital removes MD who tried to place Muslim students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewDragon

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found this by accident. quite shocked.

on the other hand, I believe that the woman probably told the truth. Not so long ago, I overheard one of the muslim student who told other muslim students that he was fasting for his "muslim brothers," and he was asking other students to join him. While I have nothing against that religion, I really wanted to ask him if he is planning to fast forever, because everyday, all kinds of people are dying due to tragedy. Why should he only fasts for his "muslim brothers," are others not human, too?!

And "Authorities shut a 20-mile stretch of the road and searched their cars,..." that was really big!

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/local/4125413.htm

Hospital removes MD who tried to place Muslim students
Posted on Sun, Sep. 22, 2002

BY JACQUELINE CHARLES
[email protected]

The physician charged with coordinating the education of three Ross University medical students detained in a recent Alligator Alley terrorist scare says he's been removed from his position at Larkin Community Hospital because he tried to find another Miami-area hospital for the students to complete their course work.

Dr. Enrique Fernandez said he was notified on Friday that his relationship with the South Miami hospital -- which turned the students away following the scare -- had been ended. Fernandez said he learned of the decision from Ross University Medical School, which pays his salary and has an agreement to place its medical students at Larkin. Fernandez, a family practitioner, served as director of Ross' clinical training program at Larkin.

Fernandez, who remains employed by Ross, said neither administrators at Ross nor a letter from Larkin explained why he was removed.

But the decision, he said, followed his attempt to place the students at another teaching hospital that he would not identify.

''I was told I could not place the students,'' Fernandez said.

The order, Fernandez said, came from Larkin's Chief Executive Officer Dr. Jack Michel.

Michel confirmed that the hospital ended its affiliation with Fernandez but denied that it had anything to do with the placement of the students.

He would not say why Fernandez was removed.

''That is an internal matter between Ross and the hospital, and I am not at liberty to comment on it,'' said Michel.

He also denied a claim by Fernandez that he sought to prevent the students from working at any of the other teaching hospitals that Ross has an agreement with.

''If anything, it's the opposite,'' Michel said. ``We have been working with Ross University and the students in helping establish alternative locations for their training.''

The men -- Ayman Gheith, 27, and Kambiz Butt, 25, both of the Chicago suburbs, and Omer Choudhary, 23, of Independence, Mo. -- made national headlines this month after a woman dining at a Shoney's restaurant north of Atlanta said she overheard them making vague threats, including, ``They mourned on 9/11, and they are going to mourn again on 9/13.''

The men, who are Muslim Arab Americans, were stopped Sept. 13 on the part of Interstate 75 known as Alligator Alley and detained for 17 hours. Authorities shut a 20-mile stretch of the road and searched their cars, but found nothing linking the men to terrorism. They were released that day.

The students were headed for Larkin to finish their training at the time of their detention.

But Michel, citing concern for patient care, hospital security and the education of the students, said they could not do their clinical rotations at Larkin.

The students, who had attended Ross University on the Caribbean island of Dominica, have denied joking about Sept. 11 or making threatening comments.

David Kubiliun, a member of the four-member legal team representing the students, said they are back on track with their medical education. He would not disclose which hospital they are at, and he could not say what role Michel played in making that happen.

''We know that Ross University has been extremely cooperative throughout this whole ordeal,'' he said. ``Ross University is backing them 100 percent.''

Dr. Nancy Perri, who is in charge of Ross' clinical program and serves as Fernandez's immediate boss, said Fernandez continues to be employed by the university.

''He's a clinical faculty member and will continue to be involved in academic activities,'' she said, adding that the university continues to maintain a good relationship with Larkin Community Hospital.

Perri said Larkin did not tell her why it wanted Fernandez removed.

David Durham, 31, a fourth-year Ross medical student who has worked with Fernandez, said he is ''a fantastic physician'' who is dedicated to delivering medical care.

''He was fired because he stood up for principles,'' Durham said.

Members don't see this ad.

The really f*ed thing was that later, the woman who supposedly heard them say such things admitted she really couldn't hear their conversation, but only scattered words (e.g., "America...911...Muslims everywhere..."), yet the students were already screwed.

But following 9/11 it was to be expected that there'd be some racism backlash.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya mon, NewDragon was deep in da books for some time now, s*it happens tho. Don't tell em about Ahhnold.

-pitman

any updates about these boys? Really they got screwed over (losing a rotation/residency spot is no joke and probably hinders all other training opportunities in the future) some eavesdropping lady who did not even have a complete story to begin with...nonetheless....its a very precarious world we live in...............i hope the boys have picked up the pieces and are practicing medicine somewhere....they should sue for defamation anyway....

As far as updates go, I'm happy to say (knowing 2 of the gentlemen personally) that they're doing quite well. One has completed internal medicine residency and is seeking a fellowship.
The other is completing his neurology residency (where he is both a chief resident and recently elected for AOA--a position granted this year to 2 of 500+ residents at his institution) and will be starting a very competitive interventional/stroke neurology fellowship this July.

There was a happy ending to all of the madness! ;)