Hospital replacing psychiatrists with NPs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smalltownpsych

Psychologist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like a hospital administrator told me in my last job, no matter what the politicians say about increasing resources to treat mental illness, the funding is never there. I think also hidden in this story is that the admin is going to be able make the Psych NPs work the way they want them to. One challenge with doctors is they tend to have more autonomy and are much less likely to stand by and let non-cliniicans make decisions that affect patient care.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
The other thing in that article, that I read in between the lines, is making the Psychiatrists they rehire go from being solely IP to now OP/Academic and probably IP/CL too. In other words they are squeezing more out of those who stay. Which, IMO, none should stay. Spokane has enough options. From a systems based delivery, if they do cut back or reduce beds, they are likely just wanting to shunt their admissions to the local for profit psych hospitals. Spokane has some UHS subsidiaries there I believe.

Here is more evidence of ARNPs replacing physicians. Not out of quality or capability, but CPA spreadsheets. Just another drop of oxygen in the coal mine. Nothing to see here folks, get back in the wRVU mines.

Reactions: 4 users
First off, the OP's title is definitely misleading. However, I can't get through the MBA speak to understand what is clearly going on. They certainly aren't going to be replacing 8 psychiatrists with 3 NPs doing the same job. They're even saying they're going to offer to rehire the psychiatrists after "restructuring." I can't tell from the article what in the heck that means. I think they are shutting down their psych unit, which would be the real lede. They aren't exactly money makers. Then there's the comment about how none of these providers did resident education. Did they only want psychiatrists who would do resident education? It's very confusing, but I don't think hiring 3 NPs represents any sort of huge national trend.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well I guess I'll scratch this one off my list to apply too, which is a shame because there are so few residency options for going to the PNW. Even if this was a division of psychiatrists uninvolved in the teaching domain of Sacred Hearts, it speaks to the underlying sentiments of the decision makers higher up in the chain.

First off, the OP's title is definitely misleading. However, I can't get through the MBA speak to understand what is clearly going on. They certainly aren't going to be replacing 8 psychiatrists with 3 NPs doing the same job. They're even saying they're going to offer to rehire the psychiatrists after "restructuring." I can't tell from the article what in the heck that means. Are they shutting down their psych unit? They aren't exactly money makers. And then there's the comment about how none of these providers did resident education. Did they only want psychiatrists who would do resident education? It's very confusing, but I don't think hiring 3 NPs represents any sort of huge national trend.
It sounds as though these psychiatrists are being held at financial gun-point and being told "sure, you can 'reapply' for your old job no problem, just agree to take on these midlevels". And given the financial impetus behind this decision (which i'm certain never threatened the admin's salaries or positions), these physicians can expect to not be fairly compensated for their additional responsibilities...

NPs in Washington state don't require MD oversight, so I don't think it's about forcing anyone to supervise them.

Reactions: 1 user
It sounds as though these psychiatrists are being held at financial gun-point and being told "sure, you can 'reapply' for your old job no problem, just agree to take on these midlevels". And given the financial impetus behind this decision (which i'm certain never threatened the admin's salaries or positions), these physicians can expect to not be fairly compensated for their additional responsibilities...

Meh no they won't, they don't need physician "collaboration" at all, which is probably part of the move here. Washington state has completely independent practice for NPs, along with letting Naturopaths be PCPs. Between the NPs and the naturopaths running wild, I'll stay away thanks.

"Naturopathic physicians are able to practice medicine along similar lines to primary care physicians in Washington, including the ability to perform routine medical exams, order bloodwork, suture minor wounds and prescribe noncontrolled medications, such as antibiotics, antivirals, insulin, birth control or antidepressants. In Washington , naturopathic physicians can also prescribe testosterone and codeine."

• Wow
That doesn't look like a good place to work anyway.

It's very confusing, but I don't think hiring 3 NPs represents any sort of huge national trend.
Right, like if this were a big problem nationwide, we'd have more psychiatrists looking for work with fewer job options open. That would lead to more difficulty finding jobs and decreasing salaries, but I think the reverse is actually happening.

Like a hospital administrator told me in my last job, no matter what the politicians say about increasing resources to treat mental illness, the funding is never there. I think also hidden in this story is that the admin is going to be able make the Psych NPs work the way they want them to. One challenge with doctors is they tend to have more autonomy and are much less likely to stand by and let non-cliniicans make decisions that affect patient care.
This has been one concern I would have if any--admittedly extremely hypothetical--push were to occur in the VA sytem for psychologists to get prescription privileges.

We all know how that would work out. The 'lucky' new prescribing psychologists would just be doing the job of a full-time psychiatrist (along with all the added liability and seeing twice the number of pts/shift) for a psychologist's salary. No thank you.

Edit: I should have said, "the 'lucky' new psychologists would just be TRYING TO DO the job of a full-time psychiatrist [with obvious disadvantages associated with lack of equivalent training/expertise/experience prescribing]"

Last edited:
Concur about psychologists. It would be a net loss for the VA.

I have indirect info on this, but I can't 100% verify. There were several things going on here. I think number one is Providence is bleeding money. All health systems especially out west are screwed by travel nurse cost and procedure volumes have not resumed post COVID like everyone was hoping. Plus, Providence had neurosurgeons in Walla Walla, WA doing unnecessary surgeries. Lookup the news articles on it and it's very bad. Something like the doctors were taking 9x as many people in for spine surgeries than the average neurosurgeon. Basically numbers that would be easy to track and an administrator was either somewhat complicit because of the revenue or incompetent. But regardless, Providence has a multi million dollar payout to the government for fraud and I don't think this includes any of the likely dozens or more medmal lawsuits that could be coming for unnecessary surgery. So not a good financial time at Providence.

There are two parallel employed psychiatrist groups. One doing inpatient only with little if any teaching, all MDs. The other are residency faculty which cover a small portion of inpatient but mostly run the oupatient clinic. I heard they have too many residency docs (which I don't know how that's possible, but maybe the clinic volume doesn't justify it), and there was pressure to let some of them go, but instead the residency agreed to takeover inpatient to avoid losing faculty jobs.

The Spokane inpatient non-residency group was was completely run by psychiatrists with no np's, which on it's own may be motivation for admin to force a change to save money. But also, the adult service was pure RVU and very high volume, with 1 doc doing the work of 2-3 average docs, with commensurate salary, which has bad optics from a regulatory standpoint if a psychiatrist is making $750K even if volume justifies it. This is not fraud but could invite investigation and looks bad especially with the recent neurosurgeon debacle. I also heard the group was asking for increased RVU rates which may have been justified based on median salary survey numbers, but again if you're making $750K on a below median rate, I can see how admin would not be happy getting pressed to pay even more.

Also, this inpatient group (not all the same doctors at the time) resigned en masse about 7 years ago to force a salary renegotiation which may have rubbed admin the wrong way and memories of the past may be coloring the current decision. You can probably still find news articles about this resignation, it wasn't a quiet thing, it made the papers and probably embarrased admin. It may be a "you played hardball with us now we'll play hardball with you" situation. Basically, we have enough doctors to shift from residency plus some np's that we can takeover your job, and there's enough going on we don't like, that we would rather risk problems in the transition than continue the current setup.

I think the lesson here is everyone is replaceable. Not always easily. 7 years ago they weren't easily replaceable and renogotiated a favorable contract. Currently, there's a residency program with extra docs willing to work with np's...so that shifts the power balance.

My understanding is the current docs can apply for residency faculty jobs at more typical median salaries, and also lower work load for adult docs. But it goes from a 7 on 7 off job to a 5 days a week. And the units are covered with closer to 1:1 MD to np instead of all MD.

I think that even in independent practice states for np's Medicare still requires a physician in some capacity that care can be escalated to, even if not officially supervising. I think there was some legislation trying to change this last year, but it's likely the lynch pin at some hospitals keeping MDs employed, though I've never heard an administrator say this explicitly.

Reactions: 7 users
Even if WA is an independent NP state, I’m sure there’s statutory language requiring psychiatrist involvement in inpatient psychiatric care (IVCs, etc). Moreover, if an NP is independent and can go and open a private practice, why would they work for an abusive hospital system?

Even if WA is an independent NP state, I’m sure there’s statutory language requiring psychiatrist involvement in inpatient psychiatric care (IVCs, etc). Moreover, if an NP is independent and can go and open a private practice, why would they work for an abusive hospital system?
Private practice scares people, they like the comfort of that steady paycheck and benefits, even if they can make so much more and easily replace those benefits in PP.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The smart np's get employed and work with MDs to become better clinicians. The bad np's start their own practice the day after finishing school and have no physician input.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm glad we got at least a possible explanation. I think moving from a pure RVU situation to a salaried academic facility could potentially be a really, really good thing. Inpatient psych lends itself excellently to residents and the care pretty uniformly gets better with them around. It's also really nice to be able to honestly tell involuntary patients that my paycheck in no way revolves around them staying on the unit. I can see how some providers drawing in $750k a year at a facility previously cited for fraud could be concerning... That said, if the poster above is accurately portraying things, I think the C-Suite could really have spun this a lot better.

Yeah, this is one of the things I have seen coming not just in psych but many fields in medicine. Partly why i took admin duties at one of my places for my job security i work at. The admin clearly see this only as dollars and cents. One said why would we hire more MDs if we can have each supervise 5 midlevels at a fraction of the cost and bill about the same. Luckily, my state is not an independent practice one and i hope it doesn't change for the next 5-10 years but eventually it will that is inevitable. This is why i have started working a touch harder and more hours for the next few years just to hopefully maximize whatever the opportunities currently are and not take anything for granted.

Reactions: 2 users
Taking on admin responsibilities to some extent is always good job protection. That said...make sure that you still have some clinical responsibilities to not lose touch. My favorite example was the Secretary of the VA two back who was an internist with still dedicated 20% clinical time.

Oh, the ARNPs in WA state are opening their own practices. Just look on psychology today for any metro in that state.

Taking on admin responsibilities to some extent is always good job protection. That said...make sure that you still have some clinical responsibilities to not lose touch. My favorite example was the Secretary of the VA two back who was an internist with still dedicated 20% clinical ti

Working more clinical hours now than ever before plus admin due to previous director scaling back due to age at his own request.

My simple tips are to work more now with the opportunities you have. I don't think mid level encroachment will really hit for at least 5 years but i used to think more like 10 years around covid. Before that no thought it would really even happen so the sentiment is changing and they are pumping out NPs exponentially due to online classes which don't have quotas lol. That being said I'm more cautious about these things and fully expect to be wrong in 10 years but just in case I am not I'd rather be in a position that made the best of the current situation.

P.S. live like a resident per white coat investor 5 years or 10 years if you want to retire early, don't buy too much house unless you have no choice, drive camrys instead of teslas and your immune to basically everything if you invest from the start np encroachment or not. Delayed gratification is not easy but this final act may actually be the most worthwhile but toughest to do.

Last edited:
Working more clinical hours now than ever before plus admin due to previous director scaling back due to age at his own request.

My simple tips are to work more now with the opportunities you have. I don't think mid level encroachment will really hit for at least 5 years but i used to think more like 10 years around covid. Before that no thought it would really even happen so the sentiment is changing and they are pumping out NPs exponentially due to online classes which don't have quotas lol. That being said I'm more cautious about these things and fully expect to be wrong in 10 years but just in case I am not I'd rather be in a position that made the best of the current situation.

P.S. live like a resident per white coat investor 5 years or 10 years if you want to retire early, don't buy too much house unless you have no choice, drive camrys instead of teslas and your immune to basically everything if you invest from the start np encroachment or not. Delayed gratification is not easy but this final act may actually be the most worthwhile but toughest to do.
Dont have kids or get divorced too.

Dont have kids or get divorced too.

sure but then you might as well not be married to minimize risk. Gotta live a little. While not having kids will put you in a better financial situation I am not sure it maximizes happiness at a later point in life.

sure but then you might as well not be married to minimize risk. Gotta live a little. While not having kids will put you in a better financial situation I am not sure it maximizes happiness at a later point in life.
Idk. 50 percent of 18 to 29 year olds are still living at home. Not sure how that maximizes happiness for the parents

Idk. 50 percent of 18 to 29 year olds are still living at home. Not sure how that maximizes happiness for the parents
Fair point. So perhaps it's better said, having non loser children maximizes happiness at a later point in life. I kid, I kid.

• Haha
The best thing is to do private practice. You have better control and can decide how much you want to make.

The best thing is to do private practice. You have better control and can decide how much you want to make.

While true this won't be doable for the vast majority. Once you start getting a steady paycheck imo its only harder. A few colleagues of mine were loving the idea of doing this. They continue to delay it due to the initial costs and lost income initially. That was 5 years ago.

Idk. I feel like kids are an infinite money drain.
my friends just work more to make up for it. i don't have kids yet. I doubt its more than 30-40k years 1-18yo assuming public school?

my friends just work more to make up for it. i don't have kids yet. I doubt its more than 30-40k years 1-18yo assuming public school?
Depends on where and how you live. If you have 2-3 kids you include the bigger house and car, daycare/nanny/camps, doubling your budget for most vacations it adds up fast. That’s before college/grad school if you plan on helping with that

Depends on where and how you live. If you have 2-3 kids you include the bigger house and car, daycare/nanny/camps, doubling your budget for most vacations it adds up fast. That’s before college/grad school if you plan on helping with that

Lets assume midwest. Already have a house that would suit 2 kids. Nanny or daycare is the biggest cost till age 5 for example. In my area you can get people like full time if you pay them "directly" 2500 ish/mo. probably another 500-1000 per month for everything else. so maybe closer to 42k which is a lot since this is post tax but still doable with extra work.

Lets assume midwest. Already have a house that would suit 2 kids. Nanny or daycare is the biggest cost till age 5 for example. In my area you can get people like full time if you pay them "directly" 2500 ish/mo. probably another 500-1000 per month for everything else. so maybe closer to 42k which is a lot since this is post tax but still doable with extra work.

There are ways to pay for daycare with pre-tax dollars.

I dont think kids are crazy expensive but daycare years 1-5 alone is about 48k.

• Wow
While true this won't be doable for the vast majority. Once you start getting a steady paycheck imo its only harder. A few colleagues of mine were loving the idea of doing this. They continue to delay it due to the initial costs and lost income initially. That was 5 years ago.
And then there are dips in practice volume too due to different factors during the year also.

Much like most things, all the costs for labor have gone up. And paying people under the table is a way to get in trouble.

I'm surprised more hospital businessmen haven't done this already. Inpatient psychiatry is the redheaded step child. It requires higher staffing levels and is subject to increased regulatory scrutiny, while being relatively low volume and lower reimbursement compared to other things the hospital could invest in (cardiac/ortho/oncology/bariatric/endoscopy "centers of excellence").

On second thought, most hospital businessmen don't do this because it's plain easier to punt the entire psych business to standalone, for-profit psych wards. Ironically, these bare for-profit psych wards prefer psychiatrists rather than NPs, as psychiatrists are more efficient.

Oh, the ARNPs in WA state are opening their own practices. Just look on psychology today for any metro in that state.
Yep. This is completely true. There are plenty of ARNP private practices and I know many nurses who are going to NP school because they think they’ll earn a lot of money.

I have a spouse earning comporable income to myself. We have more than one child. Private school and a few vacations are the only extravagances, though we vacation with some care to cost. Lower to middle cost of living area.

Plenty of money to save for retirement. If noone gets cancer, major injuries, ect, we could retire in our 50's. The plan is 65, of course, because stuff happens.

I know plenty of doctors without high earning spouses who raise large families just fine.

I know doctors with no kids who are financially ruined by divorce, illness, death, ect.

To my younger peers, I strongly recommend what has been recommended to me by my older peers - have a family if you want one. You will be able to support that family. Probably easily as a physician, NP's or no. If with difficulty due to misfortune, it's still worth it, and a lack of children does not insulate you from misfortune anyways.

It's been my experience as a hiring manager that getting an NP is not a particularly profitable choice over working as an RN. It's more about what you want to do.