Hospital Shift Differential

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmerC

You Straight Jelly
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who work in hospital, how are your shift differentials set up for evening/night/weekends. Set amounts of extra pay or extra % based on current pay. Looking for information based on permanent shifts more so than just rotating through the shift here and there. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
$7.50 hr differential if shift goes at least 2 hours past 6:30pm for differential to take effect

$0 differential. Dayshift pharmacists rotate and work an average of 5 evenings a month. Night shift work 7 on 7 off 70 hours (get paid for 80) so while they don't get paid more than the dayshift pharmacists they work less, so their truly hourly rate is higher.

Members don't see this ad :)
No differential for evening shifts, nights, or weekends.

Differential for evening shift (~$7) if you start after 12pm, generous graveyard shift differential (> $25k/yr if that's your FT gig), weekend differential same as evening shift differential.

For when a satellite location is closed, call-in pays 4hrs OT flat regardless of time spent on the issue (unless it takes >4hrs, then actual time is paid).

Pharmacists rotate all shifts except graveyard, and satellite location on-calls.

Couple bucks for evening, a dollar more than that for night. Nothing for weekends.

Ive heard other local hospitals are a percentage and work out to an extra $15k a year. Now THATS worth switching to another shift. So basically I think its all random.

Remember it's one piece of the puzzle for compensation and the workloads in the evening vary between hospitals.

We have a high differential but a lot of high acuity stuff coming on overnight with much less help available.

So...random but not random, in a way.

about 6 bucks for 2nd shift 330 to midnight and about 14 bucks for weekends...that's dept of va

10% for evening shift or graveyard, 20% weekends, 30% if it's evening/graveyard on a weekend.

Appreciate the feedback, looks like a lot of ~$7 differential for evening which is way, way higher than an original offer I saw. Especially since we get worked like dogs lol

15% for the evening and early mornings (aka overnight) and an additional 10% on the weekend. It adds an average of 18% to my hourly base rate. Unfortunately, I work the full 80 hours for overnight. On a 7 day period

Do a lot of hospitals do differential for weekends? Mine does not nor does it for night shift. All clinical pharmacists work every other weekend.

10% for anything after 6 pm. 25% on Sundays. Overnight pharmacists get 25% for their full shift when any part of that shift is on Sunday (basically they get Sunday pay for Sat/Sun and Sun/Mon)

$6 per hour for second shift, 8 for third shift, 4.5 for weekends

$2.00/hr for evening, no night shift, minimum 2hr call if one is called in during the night.