Hospital vs ABA job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elloL

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm in a situation where I have to decide to accept a job at a psychiatric hospital or a role as a "behavior technician" using the principles of ABA. I was hoping to find more clinical hours during my gap year, and the hospital would provide me with that, but the behavior technician job would have me working with young children with developmental disorders to adjust and train their motor and communication skills. I was not even sure if the ABA job would be defined as "clinical" since the children are not patients. If I am seeking clinical hours, would only the hospital job count? I have 120 hours volunteering and wanted to see if I could gain more hours.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If it's in a clinical setting, then it's clinical experience. Especially if you're working with patients, which from your description, it seems like you are.

Sounds like a cool job :)! I'd say go for it. The only thing I would be wary about is whether or not you have any connections to research in that setting? This might be something to think about if you're interested in exploring research as well.

Hello,

I'm in a situation where I have to decide to accept a job at a psychiatric hospital or a role as a "behavior technician" using the principles of ABA. I was hoping to find more clinical hours during my gap year, and the hospital would provide me with that, but the behavior technician job would have me working with young children with developmental disorders to adjust and train their motor and communication skills. I was not even sure if the ABA job would be defined as "clinical" since the children are not patients. If I am seeking clinical hours, would only the hospital job count? I have 120 hours volunteering and wanted to see if I could gain more hours.
Hi how did you get that clinical position? I'm looking for a job to work like that to gain experience I want to apply to grad school, but I don't see good options

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Hey! I worked as a Direct Support Professional in disability services as well. I heard conflicting reviews, and had some adcoms tell me that it was clinical and some tell me it was not -- so I recently started a hospital job. I highly recommend both experiences if you have time before you apply, but if I had to pick one, I would recommend the hospital job just so you have a guaranteed clinical position.

If it's in a clinical setting, then it's clinical experience. Especially if you're working with patients, which from your description, it seems like you are.

Sounds like a cool job :)! I'd say go for it. The only thing I would be wary about is whether or not you have any connections to research in that setting? This might be something to think about if you're interested in exploring research as well.
I am interested in research, but right now, there aren't any research positions in my area. And the ABA job isn't in a clinical setting. It's in client's homes and it utilizes toys and positive reinforcement to shape behavior. The kids have developmental disorders, but they aren't "sick" in the traditional sense, so that's why I hesitate to call it clinical. And, considering that my hours are lacking, I am trying to make sure I find a position that I could put down as clinical on my application.

Hi how did you get that clinical position? I'm looking for a job to work like that to gain experience I want to apply to grad school, but I don't see good options
I think it probably depends on your location, but try searching on the internet, if you haven't already. That's how I find most of my jobs.

I think it probably depends on your location, but try searching on the internet, if you haven't already. That's how I find most of my jobs.

I have I either don't have the qualifications or the education, but I'm a sophomore in college.

• Sad
I have I either don't have the qualifications or the education, but I'm a sophomore in college.
The specific position that I applied to is an entry-level position where you need a minimum of a high school degree and you don't need a license. I just graduated from college, so they likely interviewed me and other college graduates before those without Bachelor's diplomas were considered. Make sure that you are searching for entry-level positions, and if can't find anything right now, but you are interested in working with children/adolescents with autism and developmental disorders in the future, right now make sure that you are gaining experience with that population. I tutored my peers (college students) with intellectual/developmental disabilities in college and that was something that seemed to impress them.

The specific position that I applied to is an entry-level position where you need a minimum of a high school degree and you don't need a license. I just graduated from college, so they likely interviewed me and other college graduates before those without Bachelor's diplomas were considered. Make sure that you are searching for entry-level positions, and if can't find anything right now, but you are interested in working with children/adolescents with autism and developmental disorders in the future, right now make sure that you are gaining experience with that population. I tutored my peers (college students) with intellectual/developmental disabilities in college and that was something that seemed to impress them.

I got a customer service representative remote position for a pharmaceutical company is that good enough? I want to get into research and they have that.

I got a customer service representative remote position for a pharmaceutical company is that good enough? I want to get into research and they have that.
I think they'd want more a position where you more directly help people.

oh ok but I'm going to take the position it can lead to research opportunities plus it pays really good.

Your benefits are real reasons to take the job -- so definitely pursue it if you want -- but make sure you know that this will not count as clinical experience in the application process.