Hospitalist as a PMSR without RRA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Loltopsie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you do a program without the RRA, you can't sit for the RRA boards, even if you get your numbers.

RRA Surgery | ABFAS

And for what it's worth, when I was hired by a hospital, they never asked about numbers, only about board certification.

Reactions: 1 users
What different groups or hospitals care about in terms of employment is going to vary widely from one employer to another and from one position to another (even with the same employer). ie a hospital may have 2-3 podiatrists on staff with one of the DPMs being "non-surgical."

From a privileging standpoint...it also varies widely from one facility to another. I'm qualified or eligible in RRA and a local hospital asked me for proof that I've either done a certain number of, or completed a certification course on endoscopic plantar fasciotomies...if I had not they were not going to let me do EPFs. Another facility doesn't care that I've done ankle ORIFs, fusions or replacements, as a podiatrist I am not allowed to scope an ankle in their facility. I wish that as a profession, at least here locally, we would stand up to some of that crap and take our business elsewhere (which I do), but there is always some desperate enough DPM to do free work (hospital call) or isn't affected by bylaws/privilege restrictions and therefore doesn't care enough to join the protest/boycott. So to speak.

Sorry for the tangent. I don't know if I answered your question because I don't really understand what you're asking but our fearless moderator is right, if your program doesn't have the RRA designation you can't sit for those boards. I would lean towards most people not caring from an employment standpoint because honestly they don't know the difference between ABPM and ABFAS let alone distinctions within the ABFAS.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users