hot girls and med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ixitixl

Step 1 studysaurus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which school do you go to if you want good looking women? They don't have to be other med school students. Sorry about the post. I've just been thinking that with all the work associated with med school, "scenery" is really important.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think many can help ya on the good-looking part, but for opportunities, go to a place where the med school is located close to or on an undergrad/law/dental/nursing school campus. I dunno, maybe duke, penn, columbia, yale, etc. I'm sure I'm wrong with some of these, but you could probably get a good sense from the interview day.

Not Duke, sorry. The ugrad girls have mad eating disorders.... though a lot of them do have great bodies thats about it.

I don't care how many crunches you do... it isn't gonna help the butter face syndrome.

Think UNC.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
you last two posters really suck by the way. I'm totally not all about any feminist bull, but dude.... law/dental/nursing/undergrad..... you are LAME.. i'm applying for med school... and I am not @$$ by any means!!! I think it sucks that you assume that chicks interested in medicine must be ugly. Also.. the whole comment on eating disorders and hot bodies.. that was just messed up! c'mon the last thing those girls need is encouragement. Speaking as an athlete, tall woman..... having a complex is a GIGANTIC part of every girls life.. try not to be such a ******* about it !! Other than that, have a nice day

Reactions: 2 users
Emory

Have fun in ATL and Virginia Highlands.....if you get tired of it, drive up 316 (45mins) and spend some weekends in Athens. UGA has a 60/40 women to men ratio! With 35K students, you have to find someone....

yeah dude, the luck of finding attractive people is as crap-shoot like as the whole application process is........there are good looking people everywhere, and you probably won't seem 'em all when you apply at a school

shoot instead for a good school where you'll be happy...the hot chicks should follow:D

in addition to meeting people of the opposite sex, it might be nice just to meet new people, period. and to do that i think it would be helpful if the med school were built into the main campus. and in that regard, every school i've interviewed at fails. the med school areas are always fairly cut off from the main campus. they have their own buildings that the med students stick to and the only way you'd see other students was to go to the gym or something like that. emory is the closest i've seen so far, and they're still a few hundred meters from the undergrads.

that's why wherever i go i'm gonna be hitting the gym, to meet people ... and to find racquetball opponents. :D

Much to my dismay, my class is full of hot, skinny women. Out of 190 of us, 62% are women, and most of these women have a BMI under 23. In a world where 50/60% of the population is overweight, this is jawdropping for me. The men on the other hand....well, there are some cuties...but..eh. This may be a general statistic of overeducated young Montreal people however.

I don't know about which med school, but when I interviewed at Wash U there was definitely a disproportionate amount of hot women at that interview. I think they must have screened the applications for pictures ... I was blown away. I thought coming from U.Va. I had seen it all, no way, man.

Coops

When i was at Duke, i was told that 50% of the girls at Duke (including ugrad, professional schools etc) have an eating disorder.

There are good looking people everywhere.

If you want hot looking guys and girls i think NYU (as a school not just the SOM) is the answer. They have the most well dressed, trendy and beautiful people i have ever seen :p

Originally posted by peterockduke
Not Duke, sorry. The ugrad girls have mad eating disorders.... though a lot of them do have great bodies thats about it.

I don't care how many crunches you do... it isn't gonna help the butter face syndrome.

Think UNC.

As a female Duke student, all I can say to you is that you are an insensitive prick.....sorry, have to say it. You know all those Chronicle articles about effortless perfection? It's a$$es like you that contribute to the problem.

Sometimes I seriously think they should add some sort of compassion and sensitivity test to the MCAT.

Reactions: 3 users
You know, angry responses from women (pre-med and med alike) will only 1) encourage more talks of hot women with hot bods at schools, and 2) show that you are lacking in the self-confidence category even after you have attained the academic achievements and gotten into the med school of your choice that you feel the need to defend yourself in an anonymous online forum where teenagers who likely will never get into medical school commiserate.

Fact of the matter is, there are just fewer hot looking girls in graduate medical education like how there are fewer hot looking guys in higher education. Chances are, no poster on this forum is as smart or as attractive as he/she thinks he/she is. Live with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
And sometimes I think of the millions of people in this world who are starving. Why doesn't the ice princess go volunteer with homeless and poor people if she's so concerned about those who are really suffering. No, she's courageously fighitng a war over an internet board..... Perhaps, like most of Duke's ugrad population you should focus on the well being of others and personality and not on Kate Spade bags and your bodies'...

I'm not interested in the rich and educated's low self-esteem problems. I definitely had my fair share of friends who went to CAPS over eating disorders and I don't think that the entire social environment of that school is healthy for anyone. The idea that I helped that "effortless perfection" environment is LAUGHABLE.

I honestly don't have a lot of sympathy for luxury problems. Problems created by "effortless perfection" are just that...

This thread started in bad taste, and I made a joke in bad taste (admittedly). And thats all it was. Who would ever choose to go to a school based on the "hotness" of the student body? The whole thread is obviously a joke.

Originally posted by tofurious
You know, angry responses from women (pre-med and med alike) will only 1) encourage more talks of hot women with hot bods at schools, and 2) show that you are lacking in the self-confidence category even after you have attained the academic achievements and gotten into the med school of your choice that you feel the need to defend yourself in an anonymous online forum where teenagers who likely will never get into medical school commiserate.

Fact of the matter is, there are just fewer hot looking girls in graduate medical education like how there are fewer hot looking guys in higher education. Chances are, no poster on this forum is as smart or as attractive as he/she thinks he/she is. Live with it.

That is such crap.

First of all a woman is not an object. This thread is enforcing this idea and i am glad that some people are speaking up.

The myth that women in professional schools (esp med school) are not good looking is just plain wrong. There are plenty of female physicians/med students/pre-med who are just fine looking. Who made such a rule that IQ starts going down with dress size? If you took a look at the pic threads on the lounge, you would see that all of the ladies of SDN look great.

Trust me, babe, I am definitely NOT lacking in the self confidence department....but that's another topic I would gladly discuss with you in person in somewhere much more appropriate than a medical school discussion board.

I don't doubt there aren't as many hot looking guys/girls in grad school. I went on a 7 interviews.....and yes the dearth of viable options got quite depressing at times.....

The reason I replied the way that I did had more to do with something I am going through with a close friend rather than something I personally am going through.

Tofu, are you a woman? Are you a woman at Duke? I ask because I don't know....maybe you are.....but you definitely aren't me and you also are not my close friend who is killing herself with an eating disorder trying to live up to the standards that a group of men who "rated" her during sorority rush last year have set for her. Until you live in those shoes, kindly leave your statements about lacking self confidence at the door.

Now, carry on about hot guys/girls in med school. If you read my reply, which I wonder sometimes people even do on here before freaking out, you'll notice I don't have a problem with the topic, just insensitive statements such as "butter face"

Live with it.

How dare you not acknowledge the female component in the environment at Duke. Get over your man hating. Don't even get me started on Duke frat/sorority life.... Geez.

It's pretty much standard issue to know people who had an eating disorder at Duke. I went to CAPS with not one, but three different friends to help them with their problem. It's about being a friend and nothing else.

The eating disorders so common at Duke are no different from other problems that occur from hypercompetitiveness. That is an environment that is very specific to a place, not the world.

Originally posted by silverbmer
Trust me, babe, I am definitely NOT lacking in the self confidence department....but that's another topic I would gladly discuss with you in person in somewhere much more appropriate than a medical school discussion board.

I don't doubt there aren't as many hot looking guys/girls in grad school. I went on a 7 interviews.....and yes the dearth of viable options got quite depressing at times.....

The reason I replied the way that I did had more to do with something I am going through with a close friend rather than something I personally am going through.

Tofu, are you a woman? Are you a woman at Duke? I ask because I don't know....maybe you are.....but you definitely aren't me and you also are not my close friend who is killing herself with an eating disorder trying to live up to the standards that a group of men who "rated" her during sorority rush last year have set for her. Until you live in those shoes, kindly leave your statements about lacking self confidence at the door.

Now, carry on about hot guys/girls in med school. If you read my reply, which I wonder sometimes people even do on here before freaking out, you'll notice I don't have a problem with the topic, just insensitive statements such as "butter face"

Live with it.

Originally posted by peterockduke
And sometimes I think of the millions of people in this world who are starving. Why doesn't the ice princess go volunteer with homeless and poor people if she's so concerned about those who are really suffering. No, she's courageously fighitng a war over an internet board..... Perhaps, like most of Duke's ugrad population you should focus on the well being of others and personality and not on Kate Spade bags and your bodies'...

I'm not interested in the rich and educated's low self-esteem problems. I definitely had my fair share of friends who went to CAPS over eating disorders and I don't think that the entire social environment of that school is healthy for anyone. The idea that I helped that "effortless perfection" environment is LAUGHABLE.

I honestly don't have a lot of sympathy for luxury problems. Problems created by "effortless perfection" are just that...

This thread started in bad taste, and I made a joke in bad taste (admittedly). And thats all it was. Who would ever choose to go to a school based on the "hotness" of the student body? The whole thread is obviously a joke.

You know what is funny is that we have probably taken many classes together....we've probably been in physics, orgo, chem....who knows....together....

But you are damn lucky I don't know who you are on this board.

Sweetheart, I devote hours of my day to people who are "truly" suffering as well. I am on the Peds Bone Marrow Unit. I am at John Umstead. I am in the Durham Public Schools with children whose only meal that day is the one served in the cafeteria.

And yet I will still ask....who are you to judge what truly is suffering and what isn't?

Your last post was perhaps the most pompous statement I have read in a while.

I'm off to class, darling, and after that to Duke Hospital, to help those that really are suffering, from severe depression. Maybe I should try telling them to shut up about their problems and go volunteer somewhere? I'm sure that would empty out my office quite quickly and then I could go home for the day!

On second thought, I would love to know your name....to make sure neither me nor my family members ever end up on your examining table!

Hey...your use of the terms "sweetheart" and "darling" are degrading and might constitute sexual harassment. Don't make me report you to the supervisor.....

how very un-PC of me....

I should have know not to use those words seeing how I am apparently a man-hating raging feminist. :D

Oh and by the way, Duke, UPenn, and Yale should never be considered mecas for hot women (or men, to be fair). Look into Ole Miss, Georgia, UAB, or pick one of the Texas schools (although I've heard that Dallas is quite a hotbed). Nothing like smart southern women.

Being a southern girl myself, I will have to agree with you.

Yes, I fear the sass from a girl who uses cutting intro's like Sweetheart and darling. You go girl!

Conveniently all of your "caring" activities fit nicely onto a resume. Interesting how that works.

Your posts condemning male society at Duke and myself is not at all self-righteous. Not even a little.

Duke women have the resources to do something about their self-esteem problems. I'd rather help the people who don't. It is my right to choose and judge as I am an individual with limited time and emotoinal energy.

I'd give you my name but I don't talk to girls with saggy butts!
:smuggrin:

You know what is funny is that we have probably taken many classes together....we've probably been in physics, orgo, chem....who knows....together....

But you are damn lucky I don't know who you are on this board.

Sweetheart, I devote hours of my day to people who are "truly" suffering as well. I am on the Peds Bone Marrow Unit. I am at John Umstead. I am in the Durham Public Schools with children whose only meal that day is the one served in the cafeteria.

And yet I will still ask....who are you to judge what truly is suffering and what isn't?

Your last post was perhaps the most pompous statement I have read in a while.

I'm off to class, darling, and after that to Duke Hospital, to help those that really are suffering, from severe depression. Maybe I should try telling them to shut up about their problems and go volunteer somewhere? I'm sure that would empty out my office quite quickly and then I could go home for the day!

On second thought, I would love to know your name....to make sure neither me nor my family members ever end up on your examining table!

I have YET to see a medical that is packing a handful of young hot male students....

Where are my brad pitt/orlando bloom/lenny kravitz look-a-likes? What schools do they apply to?

I think there was a misinterpretation of my post somewhere. I really enjoyed reading all of the feedback but I'm not necessarily looking for med schools themselves to have all of the attractive women, and that's not saying there aren't attractive women in med school. I was just wondering which general areas of the US or which cities that have med schools also have attractive women. :laugh:

Eating disorders suck. I did a lot of research studying the neurological basis of anorexia nervosa so I had to come in contact with many sad, sad victims of the disease. Listening to their distorted view of themselves almost made me depressed myself. Nobody should ever joke about anorexia or bulimia.

That said, I haven't interviewed any school where I've been blown away by the beauty of the med school class. Although, coming from an undergrad that was rated #1 by Playboy for most attractive women, I'm probably spoiled. :D

tf

Well I'm afraid my time is up here, peterock.

Again, interesting comment, about how my activities fit onto a resume. Couldn't one argue that ALL community service activities "fit nicely" on a resume? You must be that kid from my Vandy interview who asked how much it would hurt you to not have any community service experience. There IS more to medicine than the lab, you know.

Oh, and cute butt comment. Next time you see me riding the bull at Shooters I'll let you reevaluate that one :laugh:

Oh wait, I probably shouldn't get you started on Shooters, either. You are truly LAUGHABLE yourself!

Originally posted by ixitixl
I think there was a misinterpretation of my post somewhere. I really enjoyed reading all of the feedback but I'm not necessarily looking for med schools themselves to have all of the attractive women, and that's not saying there aren't attractive women in med school. I was just wondering which general areas of the US or which cities that have med schools also have attractive women. :laugh:

No. Since MS choose us half-arbitrarily, It's ok to do this.
I started a little tread about choosing a west coast school because Cake almost never tours the east.

Sorry, I don't know where all the babes are. I'm married (with child), and that stuff would just get me in trouble.:D

As a female Duke student, all I can say to you is that you are an insensitive prick.....sorry, have to say it. You know all those Chronicle articles about effortless perfection? It's a$$es like you that contribute to the problem.

Sometimes I seriously think they should add some sort of compassion and sensitivity test to the MCAT.

Uhhh... don't take this so personally. it's just a comment. just an opinion... not warranting "insensitive prick" comebacks. it wasn't a personal attack. only one on duke. i wouldn't really care if someone i didn't know made a comment like that about the girls at my school where there are also serious problems.

lay off the femi-nazi.

oh, and i'm a girl.

As a person who suffered with anorexia in high school and was forced to go to a psychiatrist by my school as well as my parents and friends, I can testify that eating disorders are a very hard battle. Now I'm not an expert at eating disorders, but it seems like they occur for different girls for different reasons. Sometimes, it is trying to attain perfection (the overachieving girl who wants everyone else to envy her body like her GPA) sometimes its from depression (the girl who also may have tried to kill herself before and know starves herself as a form of self mutalation) and sometimes as a part of peer pressure (the girl who comes from that ZIP code, where everyone is judged by how many LV bags and beemers they have.)

As for hotness as med school. I think that everyone who attends medical school is beautiful----and heres why, because when we are done, we are going to give people the best gift they can receive---we are going to save peoples lives and give hope to people who are suffering. That is true beauty.....

vegan girl - your post was very nice.

I hope my post didn't come across as too harsh but i just hate to see people, like silverbmer, fired up about posts and taking things so personally and lashing back at the world!!

Any word on med schools with HOT GUYS? ANYONE? ANYONE?

be a not so attractive male, i may have better luck at a school with predominatly ugly people. My chances with a hot gal is much better with a room full of ugly people

Go to the school I am going to :)

Although I don't know which one that is yet. I'll let you know in a couple of months.

When someone posts a question of legitimate concern, I respond in a way that tries not to offend anyone, and still I get flamed. Listen, I didn't mean to insinuate that med schools don't have hot students. Maybe I was tired and didn't realize what my post was implying, but he asked for students other than med students that were hot. I didn't want to say "hell yeah, duke has the hottest girls because one time I saw this girl who was smoking". That stuff is meaningless, so I gave options. Anyway, good luck with finding dates, seriously. I think it's an issue for a lot of med. students and should be regarded as a serious conern.

I agree with Vegangirl. Though I'm a male, I've struggled with body image most of my life and though it's more controlled now than in years previous, I probably will continue to do so. It has affected my conception of "hot" that I no longer find women who are quite thin attractive. Maybe I'm overcompensating for some personal issues, but I believe hot is a completely relative term, incorporating personality, drive, interests, and to a certain extent physical aspects as well. This is why I cannot say which school has the hottest women (or men), but can only give someone advice so as to maximize options.

(edit) PS I also realize my reply is late and at this point off-topic, but I just wanted a chance to defend myself. Sorry bout that.

i know you guys are all on the MD path, but NSUCOM is filled with lots of pretty girls and tons of guys who are a dime-a-dozen (much to my dismay...:( ). i would assume UMiami is the same way.... gotta love South Florida. :D

the funniest part of this whole thing to me is that if any of you all knew me, I actually am the antithesis of a femi-nazi. I say that without sarcasm (I mean, of couse you don't really know me, this is a message board), but I just can't help but laugh because I continually get flack from all my friends for being the conservative, traditional NON-FEMINIST girl I am. Anyway, that being said, I don't feel as though my comments were "femi-nazi" or "lashing out at the world" in any sense. I "lashed out" at someone who said something inappropriate and hurtful. Had a woman made the butter-face comment, I would have been all over her too.

It is a rude comment, no matter who it comes from. I'm so tired of people attributing it to some "cause" like feminism. It's not feminist, it's called being compassionate and taking a step back when you don't understand battles you've never had to fight.

It is a rude comment, no matter who it comes from. I'm so tired of people attributing it to some "cause" like feminism. It's not feminist, it's called being compassionate and taking a step back when you don't understand battles you've never had to fight.

Well said silverbmer.

All of my life experiences continue to confirm that judging other people is never justifiable.

Originally posted by vegangirl

As for hotness as med school. I think that everyone who attends medical school is beautiful----and heres why, because when we are done, we are going to give people the best gift they can receive---we are going to save peoples lives and give hope to people who are suffering. That is true beauty.....

yay! the first sensitive comment yet on this thread. :clap:

Do like I plan to. Bring yours with you.

This thread has gotten way off-topic. Try to stick to the subject people.

I thought the girls at NYU were significantly better-looking than those at the other schools I've visited. I can't much speak to the men. Frankly, I think a lot of us just pretty much look the same. We're bland that way.

just for kicks...
im a male who went to duke. it didnt take long for me to realize what a miserable place it was. sure, there are some great people there, but the overall student body was absolutely terriblel. never could have i ever imagined such superficiality, immaturity, and ignorance in people with such booksmarts. the social setting was awful, promoting all sorts of eating disorders and other foolish competitions (so and so's dad owns what?). so glad to be gone...

From my experience, if you are at a school located near the beach (i.e U of Miami, UCI, UCLA, UCSD--yet another benefit of the UC med student) you're bound to see some eye candy. As far as your actual classmates, i'm not sure. But while in undergrad, I saw a lot more eye candy coming from humanities lecture halls than science lecture halls.....that's all i'm saying!

i must say mcgill has the best looking women. they're not american!

I'm there to back you up girl!! I think if we were really that bad looking, we wouldn't comment, I think it takes a lot of self confidence to even comment on these DORKS posting about this topic.

to all the men concerned about hot women in med school, all those women that are ACTUALLY hot, most likely could care less about giving YOU the time of day!

negative10.jpg

I mostly stay out of these kinds of threads but since I'm home sick and bored, I thought I'd chime in with my personal experience.

I did Chem E at the University of Washington and our class was 47% women. I would say that most people who visited our department would not think that the girls in my class were hot. When we were at school we were focussed on classes and projects and tended to neglect our personal appearance. With the exception of the one guy who went from being an international model to Chem E, most of the guys weren't too hot themselves so there was no incentive to get gussied up, especially since the former model was engaged.

That all being said, many of the girls (and guys) in my class were much more attractive with a little personal grooming. When we went out on weekends, nobody ever guessed we were a bunch of enginerds.

Moral of the story: You won't find much eye candy where there is studying to be done.

:) Laurie

Need I also mention that of the few women that are attractive, many of them question whether they have gotten to med school because of what their good looks had gotten them throughout life or really through their accomplishments.

Of course, the worst kind is like this girl I interviewed with at one particular NorCal residency (she's from that med school). She totally thought she was hot AND hot **** among students/applicants, when she wasn't either. However, when any attending was around, you would notice an 180-degree attitude change, and you could hardly tell the wolf under that sheep skin. I assure you that she will get to the top of the residency program of her choice, and I just pray that we don't match to the same residency.

Yeah, enough Duke bashing....my girlfriend went to Duke, she's hot, AND she's in my med school class.

And I gotta say, we do have our share of cute girls in my class.

OOOOOORIIIIIIGHT,
Quagmire

the hottest girls are at uci for sure ;)

Originally posted by BushBaby
I have YET to see a medical that is packing a handful of young hot male students....

Where are my brad pitt/orlando bloom/lenny kravitz look-a-likes? What schools do they apply to?

Come to Columbia baby ;)